Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
The prototypal inheritance system is said to be more powerful than the classic inheritance model(C#, Java, etc) since you can actually emulate the classic model with the prototypal system. If you want something closer to what you've come to expect from the Java/C# world, Typescript is the way to go since it builds on top of Javascript (and compiles down to JS) instead of attempting to replace it and offers things like the classic inheritance model, types, etc.

ES6 (renamed ES2015), actually offers the class-based model as well.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I would go as far to say now that Javascript is a 'general-purpose' language now. You can pretty much make anything with it with the exception of maybe drivers or some such thing. It's not quite as fast as some of the other languages, but I feel it will see significant improvements in the future due to it's increasing prevalence. I've downloaded brackets, and it's quite impressive. There is also atom.io. Both of these are programming text editors that were created in Javascript.

Check them out:
brackets.io
atom.io (actually made in coffeescript, which is a language that transpiles to javascript)

Pretty amazing stuff, and they really show how far JS has come.

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'll be stuck learning in the Javascript/HTML5 world for a while since I can cover both front-end and back-end and even desktop/mobile apps with this single language. Later on down the line, I want to get proficient with Java/C# and eventually pick up C++ as well, but those latter languages are down the line after I get Javascript mastery under way.

Right now, some of the technologies I'm focusing on:
Front-end:
-HTML/CSS (this is obvious)
-vanilla JS/DOM
-jQuery
-backbone and angular
-- ones to consider later: React, Stylus(CSS prepro)

Back-end:
-Node.js
-Express
-gulp
-MongoDB

All of this should keep me busy for a long-time, and when I'm done, I'll be a 'full-stack' dev. Afterwards, I can eventually start branching off into other languages, but this will hold me down for a long time and keep me focused.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Just downloaded visual studio code, which is pretty much a MS version of Atom.io... Liking it quite a bit so far, but they need to get plug-ins implemented and an 'open in browser' option on the right click menu.

https://code.visualstudio.com/

If you do web dev, check it out. It's free. The intellisense is nice.

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
I'll be stuck learning in the Javascript/HTML5 world for a while since I can cover both front-end and back-end and even desktop/mobile apps with this single language. Later on down the line, I want to get proficient with Java/C# and eventually pick up C++ as well, but those latter languages are down the line after I get Javascript mastery under way.

Right now, some of the technologies I'm focusing on:
Front-end:
-HTML/CSS (this is obvious)
-vanilla JS/DOM
-jQuery
-backbone and angular
-- ones to consider later: React, Stylus(CSS prepro)

Back-end:
-Node.js
-Express
-gulp
-MongoDB

All of this should keep me busy for a long-time, and when I'm done, I'll be a 'full-stack' dev. Afterwards, I can eventually start branching off into other languages, but this will hold me down for a long time and keep me focused.

Good to see you staying busy. Im working as a software engineer intern full time, while in my free time learning more Hadoop, Angular, Mongo and Node. Its crazy how much my skill level has improved in the two years ive been doing this. There is always something else to learn.

Nothing will ever be as fun as learning all of the data structures the first time though.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
I started out without a degree, but I went on to finish my degree later. My situation was partly luck because I got in when the market was desperate for bodies. Look in the classified ads and see what jobs are out there that you want and what kinds of languages they're asking for. Figure out what it takes to get certified in those languages if you can. There are plenty of online resources to learn languages.

Get yourself a couple of 2nd hand computers and networking gear that you can use to understand networking and PC configuration. Maybe even try setting up your own mini network. Try messing around with a VM service like Linode or Amazon's EC2 to run online virtual computers if you want to have a permanent internet presence.

Get some real-world projects under your belt. Maybe you make free web pages for local charities or churches. If you want to be a developer, that's a higher bar, though. You could try writing iPhone or Android apps and getting them on the market.

Remember, if you don't have a degree you need something that a company is going to look at as real-world experience. A lot of IT jobs cater to people who take to IT like it's a hobby not just something they went out and got a certificate in. It takes a lot of work and a lot of time so don't expect to be a 3 month wonder. I don't know what the entry-level field is like but you're going to have a lot of competition with degreed grads.

Finally, getting a degree is the BEST way to get into the industry. You're getting formal education, you're learning the jargon, and you've got that piece of paper that says you have a minimum level of competence.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Good to see you staying busy. Im working as a software engineer intern full time, while in my free time learning more Hadoop, Angular, Mongo and Node. Its crazy how much my skill level has improved in the two years ive been doing this. There is always something else to learn.

Nothing will ever be as fun as learning all of the data structures the first time though.

I've been taking a deep dive into JS. The JS world is way deeper than expected, especially for full-stack development. Learning As of right now, I've been focusing mostly on backbone.js, but I've also done some angular. I prefer angular from what I've dealt with, but my concern is angular 2.0 is right around the corner and it's not backwards compatible with 1. You're right that there is a ton to learn, especially in front-end development, where it feels like a new framework is coming out every week.

Have you tried out visual studio code? It's lacking the features of some of the more developed editors, but it has a lot of very cool features of its own like intellisense. It's also been probably the best editor in terms of automatically indenting code correctly. If they keep on implementing more features, this probably will be my go-to over sublime text and brackets.

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
I've been taking a deep dive into JS. The JS world is way deeper than expected, especially for full-stack development. Learning As of right now, I've been focusing mostly on backbone.js, but I've also done some angular. I prefer angular from what I've dealt with, but my concern is angular 2.0 is right around the corner and it's not backwards compatible with 1. You're right that there is a ton to learn, especially in front-end development, where it feels like a new framework is coming out every week.

Have you tried out visual studio code? It's lacking the features of some of the more developed editors, but it has a lot of very cool features of its own like intellisense. It's also been probably the best editor in terms of automatically indenting code correctly. If they keep on implementing more features, this probably will be my go-to over sublime text and brackets.

I cant take anything microsoft seriously. The only IDE you need is eclipse. But I got my start in the JVM so Im biased.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
:dahell: I'm a .net developer...That's what we use

I remember you started off with Java. What made you switch over into C# and focus on that? I'm trying to decide whether to pick up C# or Java as the second language I focus on. I'm leaning towards C# due to being able to use it in unity for game-dev and the fact that I've played around with Asp.net MVC5. Java seems to have more jobs though.

semtex

:)
Daps
I remember you started off with Java. What made you switch over into C# and focus on that? I'm trying to decide whether to pick up C# or Java as the second language I focus on. I'm leaning towards C# due to being able to use it in unity for game-dev and the fact that I've played around with Asp.net MVC5. Java seems to have more jobs though.
I landed a C# job