Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Which one of these: Ansible, Puppet, Chef, or a similar tool would be easiest to learn the basics of over the weekend?

I’ve got a job interview on Monday.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
This polyfill shyt sounds wild. :picard:
Brehs yall better check yall site if yall used it before. :lupe:
Probably dont go to your tax site if you use intuit either.
Sounds like these were used for older sites though. edit: shyt nvm, sites like hulu still has the vulnerability. Someone doing youtube vid about the situation just checked hulu's html lmao

Long story short - Devs/companies that used polyfills in their site put the domain to polyfillio in the site's script tag. That domain name and github was sold to a chinese company. That company changed the code and how the script behaves and is currently launching malware attacks using that script. Google is blocking ads for any ecommerce site that uses polyfill.

I wonder if this site uses polyfillio :lupe:
Hacker news discussion link: Polyfill supply chain attack hits 100K+ sites | Hacker News

FemiO

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Good video, don't like the examples though

In languages that allow it, it's better to pass in the data specifically needed by the function and your db driver instead of passing in all the classes/interfaces like you'd have to do in Java. First function would be better improved by passing in a formatted name as a param instead of passing in half a dozen classes and creating an abstraction hell of 7 layers

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV

you'd use a proper language with proper auto constructors to guarantee preconditions. preferably one with const-ness.

you'd use a language with functions as first order objects (or close enough) and curry them together to get the desired result(s) while isolating side-effects and maximising pure function code. pure code simplifies threading.

currying from declarative languages, which are slowly and increasingly adding concepts to imperative languages.

db (in java) would use a cache pinned prepared statement to maximise cache hit probability and remove redundant query planning. objects in java are passed by reference (so better to marshal one pointer than multiple).

in fact using interfaces you could simplify java arg to some sort of save interface.

or in crappy languages that support none of this use the command pattern

possibly :troll:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
@null @FemiO That video just looks like SOLID to me. Basic shyt.

i hate those sorts of questions.

i'd design something like that using a language which allows for the enforcement of good practice such as pre/post conditions, strong typing, const-ness, currying to protect me from myself (and future developers from inadvertently messing up the code).

the sort of formality that Z / formal methods encourage.

much as (cutting edge) rust enforces good memory management to protect you from yourself - where you have to go out of your way to circumvent those protections rather than the other way around.

but i think we've done that convo to death in here so :hubie:

FemiO

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
in another 10 years javascript will unironically be a good language

FemiO

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you'd use a proper language with proper auto constructors to guarantee preconditions. preferably one with const-ness.

you'd use a language with functions as first order objects (or close enough) and curry them together to get the desired result(s) while isolating side-effects and maximising pure function code. pure code simplifies threading.

currying from declarative languages, which are slowly and increasingly adding concepts to imperative languages.

db (in java) would use a cache pinned prepared statement to maximise cache hit probability and remove redundant query planning. objects in java are passed by reference (so better to marshal one pointer than multiple).

in fact using interfaces you could simplify java arg to some sort of save interface.

or in crappy languages that support none of this use the command pattern

possibly :troll:
sounds like you been studying real-world code a little since our last spar :youngsabo:

i dislike OOP in general (as a language default) but see the value in it and i'm willing to give up some expressiveness for structure, but the horrors i've seen from some poorly implemented functional programming make me not want to fukk with it in a team setting :snoop: at least Typescript allows for extending/implementing interfaces, most things are workable from there

FemiO

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@null @FemiO That video just looks like SOLID to me. Basic shyt.
pretty much, but in languages like js or python or go to some extent (as seen in the video) where you can write whatever nonsense you want it's even more important

in general as long as someone's code is readable, easily testable, and doesn't use too much indirection i'm not gon trip too much

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
sounds like you been studying real-world code a little since our last spar :youngsabo:

:mjlol:

and here is me knowing more than you years before our "spar" (your lesson).

breh really thought he was introducing me to typescript.

:mjlol:
because javascript (and even python) are not "traditional" languages and do not lend themselves to large scale enterprise development.

that is why typescript exists. google have angular for similar reasons.

(if you were going to write a blockchain you wouldn't "normally" use js.. or if you wrote a database, a cache, a network interface, etc etc you would not use js).

python does a better job of it than javascript.

-

server-side js development exists but is normally tied directly to web/GUI front-end activity. you see this with node / jquery / react and more generally server-side javascript.

mosh is probably teaching you react. i did his react course a while ago.

also never forget that js is an abomination and is crap :hhh:

giphy.webp

eventually ..

i dislike OOP in general (as a language default) but see the value in it and i'm willing to give up some expressiveness for structure,

have problems with english structure brehs :hubie:

but the horrors i've seen from some poorly implemented functional programming make me not want to fukk with it in a team setting :snoop:

work at c*** companies brehs :hubie: .

more care is taken when dealing with trillion dollar portfolios and hundred million dollar trades than when working on GUI design and the like breh.

at least Typescript allows for extending/implementing interfaces, most things are workable from there

when you say functional you need to specify the language. and when you say "functional" i am gonna assume that is what you actually mean.

functional programming on the whole tends to be cleaner than imperative because of the lack of / limited side effects and no iteration.

if you've never written a large declarative program you will not understand the value of learning to program that way.

finally languages that use recursion rather than iteration are cleaner, are more in line with the chomsky hierarchy and do not offer redundant mechanisms for solutions to turing decidable languages.

the set of problems solvable by iteration is a subset of those solvable by recursion so there is redundancy.

i.e. problems which are not Primitive recursive function - Wikipedia e.g. ackerrman function.

Last edited: