Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Anyone work with Microsoft power platforms and dynamics 364?
Just been offered a job as a devOps engineer with a law firm that use it. I'm a devOps or SysOps at a web application firm currently. Money is much better and they're at the start of their journey with their tech team so lots of new staff coming in since March so I'm thinking of taking it.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Greetings ladies and gents, question for the 6-cert crew:

Question:
If i want to have developed a software serving as a customized project management system for tracking milestones that also has some intuitive document creation and document control features for desktop

(i.e. for an assigned project: project lead types content in provided fields as part of a task, fields are linked to sections in a template, template can be published as a Word or PDF file, file can be saved/uploaded in the directory for that specific project and marked complete, completed tasks are shown as completed milestone in a project timeline, timeline has ETCs including updates on how on/ahead/behind schedule (SPI) the project is, prompts occur for late or at risk tasks, no login required for project leads but pw-protected administrative-only supervisor view to oversee all projects)...

^ would probably be the bare bones of it...

...would that be a simple, medium-complexity, or complex software product to make?

And are there recommended companies that provide this type of service? I came across Decode Agency (Full-service software development | DECODE) for example but obviously would like to do some due diligence on the market and what to expect.

Thanks

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
...would that be a simple, medium-complexity, or complex software product to make?
Going off the barebones of it I would say that would be medium complex to complex to make, but doable. Im assuming all the updates on how on/ahead/behind schedule the project is would be entered manually? If I was doing it, that would probably be the the simplest to do it with manual schedule.
And the late prompts would just be notifications for that specific user that is over that part of the project? Probably have a prompt going to the lead as well to let them know it's late or at risk?

So would an example be like Lead puts features A(1st due date), B(15th due date), C(31st due date) in a project. User 1 has feature A, User 2 has feature B. User 3 has feature C. User A submits their feature and is verifieded by the lead and marked complete in the timeline. If you have an "at risk" date of 7 week before hand. On the 8th, a prompt would go to the User 2 and the lead about it being "at risk"

Is that about right?

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Going off the barebones of it I would say that would be medium complex to complex to make, but doable. Im assuming all the updates on how on/ahead/behind schedule the project is would be entered manually? If I was doing it, that would probably be the the simplest to do it with manual schedule.
And the late prompts would just be notifications for that specific user that is over that part of the project? Probably have a prompt going to the lead as well to let them know it's late or at risk?

So would an example be like Lead puts features A(1st due date), B(15th due date), C(31st due date) in a project. User 1 has feature A, User 2 has feature B. User 3 has feature C. User A submits their feature and is verifieded by the lead and marked complete in the timeline. If you have an "at risk" date of 7 week before hand. On the 8th, a prompt would go to the User 2 and the lead about it being "at risk"

Is that about right?

Yes! Mostly aligned though we were hoping for automation wherever possible.

To illustrate, lets say the project team and client agreed on a 3-phase project (phases A, B, and C) that would take an estimated 6 months to complete in total, and a set start date is agreed upon. For simplicity, lets also say each phase is estimated to take 2 months, but with all 3 phases having a finish-to-start dependency with each other.

Ideally, I would like the project lead to have a dropdown (or similar function) to select the project type, estimated duration (in months), and start date. From there the software would pre-populate a timeline with the planned start and end date (6-months out), including the planned start/end dates for each of the phases based on the selected project type (in this example, project type 1 might have 3 phases, but say a different project type might have 5 phases). I do want an override for manual entry/adjustments as needed but more automation is a selling point we wanted; particularly if the autmoation can account for weekends and national holidays so start/end dates are always on weekdays and metadata can show the total number of business days available for the project based on a given start date.

From there, just as you outlined, user 1 is assigned Phase A, user 2 assigned Phase B, user 3 assigned Phase C. Each has their estimated start/end dates. Once a user submits their deliverable/feature, it's verified by the lead which automatically marks it complete on the project timeline. The prompts for at risk would also occur as you outlined. If possible, we would like to include the subtasks/subdeliverables for each phase (also pre-populated based on the selected project type). This is so that if only 6 of the 10 subtasks for Phase B have been submitted but there's only 3 weeks to go before Phase C is planned to begin, that could be a prompt for at risk. Or something along those lines.

My bad for the lengthy response but that's the type of system we're looking for. And that would be for one active project, but say the project lead may have 10 other projects he's overseeing. Granted, everything i explained might be closer to an ideal state and not necessarily an mvp, but i'd be curous what the big picture effort for this would be before scaling back as needed.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Yes! Mostly aligned though we were hoping for automation wherever possible.

To illustrate, lets say the project team and client agreed on a 3-phase project (phases A, B, and C) that would take an estimated 6 months to complete in total, and a set start date is agreed upon. For simplicity, lets also say each phase is estimated to take 2 months, but with all 3 phases having a finish-to-start dependency with each other.

Ideally, I would like the project lead to have a dropdown (or similar function) to select the project type, estimated duration (in months), and start date. From there the software would pre-populate a timeline with the planned start and end date (6-months out), including the planned start/end dates for each of the phases based on the selected project type (in this example, project type 1 might have 3 phases, but say a different project type might have 5 phases). I do want an override for manual entry/adjustments as needed but more automation is a selling point we wanted; particularly if the autmoation can account for weekends and national holidays so start/end dates are always on weekdays and metadata can show the total number of business days available for the project based on a given start date.

From there, just as you outlined, user 1 is assigned Phase A, user 2 assigned Phase B, user 3 assigned Phase C. Each has their estimated start/end dates. Once a user submits their deliverable/feature, it's verified by the lead which automatically marks it complete on the project timeline. The prompts for at risk would also occur as you outlined. If possible, we would like to include the subtasks/subdeliverables for each phase (also pre-populated based on the selected project type). This is so that if only 6 of the 10 subtasks for Phase B have been submitted but there's only 3 weeks to go before Phase C is planned to begin, that could be a prompt for at risk. Or something along those lines.

My bad for the lengthy response but that's the type of system we're looking for. And that would be for one active project, but say the project lead may have 10 other projects he's overseeing. Granted, everything i explained might be closer to an ideal state and not necessarily an mvp, but i'd be curous what the big picture effort for this would be before scaling back as needed.
No worries bout the lengthy response gives a better view of what you trying to accomplish. Just quick mock up of what the progress stuff would look like from what you are describing.
a29483b140bfcfd9cc97a4c5a9ffd321.png

Each phase has it's own progress, which reflects into the overall progress of the project.

Automation - yea automation shouldnt really be an issue. You can set it up to where the lead can choose custom dates for each prompt and stuff like that. As each day passes, a check can be run to calculate the current date from the end date. If that day is within range for "at risk" that was set by the lead, then a prompt is automatically sent out to the user who is over that phase and the lead.

I dont have any experience with Decode, but having this web application built(im assuming for inhouse use) wouldnt be too difficult with the features you have listed. Especially just getting an mvp up.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
No worries bout the lengthy response gives a better view of what you trying to accomplish. Just quick mock up of what the progress stuff would look like from what you are describing.
a29483b140bfcfd9cc97a4c5a9ffd321.png

Each phase has it's own progress, which reflects into the overall progress of the project.

Automation - yea automation shouldnt really be an issue. You can set it up to where the lead can choose custom dates for each prompt and stuff like that. As each day passes, a check can be run to calculate the current date from the end date. If that day is within range for "at risk" that was set by the lead, then a prompt is automatically sent out to the user who is over that phase and the lead.

I dont have any experience with Decode, but having this web application built(im assuming for inhouse use) wouldnt be too difficult with the features you have listed. Especially just getting an mvp up.

Yup, that’s a good illustration of it. Do you or your team/company provide a similar service as Decode?

And yea, at minimum it’d be an in-house/on-premise solution to project tracking and doc control with some niche features/templates, though i feel it has potential to be a commercial product for a niche industry.

For context, the existing commercial management system tools we’ve evaluated didn’t align well with what we wanted, and so I was of the independent thought to propose a custom made software solution that does exactly the ish we want it to do. But I’m also of the mindset to go full entrepreneurial with it as well.

I plan to test the market, perhaps with waiting lists and/or talking with other orgs we’ve benchmarked with that I know have similar issues, to gauge if they’d be interested in such a tailored software.

In any case, I wanted to gauge the feasibility and logistics (timeline, cost, etc) of such an endeavor, and what vendors can provide a quality service.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Java / C# OOP Projects

cyndaquil

Lv 100 Bold natured
Daps
Reppin
JOHTO REGION
I just came across a reel on Instagram from that imjustcyrus guy :francis:

200k followers and consistently bullshytting people about getting into tech and posting a bunch of videos about stacking remote jobs etc.

:francis: wtf is this brehs?

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I just came across a reel on Instagram from that imjustcyrus guy

200k followers and consistently bullshytting people about getting into tech and posting a bunch of videos about stacking remote jobs etc.

wtf is this brehs?
From his Instagram bio: "đź’° $500k+ My 1st Year In Tech (NO DEGREE)"

Breh is preying on desperate dreamers.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
I just came across a reel on Instagram from that imjustcyrus guy :francis:

:francis: wtf is this brehs?

When I started learning to code last year, I came across a lot of videos and accounts like that. Then I saw counter videos and accounts discouraging people from coding or getting into the industry altogether.

Each one had the same goal in mind. To monetize content. That's all most of them care about.