Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
The place I work at is the first place where I'd say there's too much work. And Everything is a priority, so nothing is a priority. When things break in prod, is not your fault, but it is your problem... There been 3 weeks that were really difficult, but gotta keep pushing for now. Def gonna have to ask for a raise tho

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
I have a phone screen coming up with a FAANG company. It's do or die for me since i've been out of work for a year now. :to:

I ain't never prepare for an interview like this ever in my life, I've been living and breathing leetcode for weeks on end.

There is no room for failure. Pray for me, brehs :wow:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I have a phone screen coming up with a FAANG company. It's do or die for me since i've been out of work for a year now. :to:

I ain't never prepare for an interview like this ever in my life, I've been living and breathing leetcode for weeks on end.

Daps and Prayers, breh.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ

You got this! Prayers up bro

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Up in the late night monitoring an important job that we're switching over from Hadoop to AWS. We got some long taking pipelines man. This one's been running since 12:45 AM. Then this weekend we got disaster recovery testing

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
GitHub Copilot (or at least our implementation) proving to be utterly garbage :unimpressed: . All I want is a JSDoc for the functions in this script. Highlight one function at a time, it comes up with documentation based on just the method name and the following line of code :unimpressed:. I've never been so productive :unimpressed:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
GitHub Copilot (or at least our implementation) proving to be utterly garbage :unimpressed: . All I want is a JSDoc for the functions in this script. Highlight one function at a time, it comes up with documentation based on just the method name and the following line of code :unimpressed:. I've never been so productive :unimpressed:
Interesting. I've only asked it to create templates, but documenting methods, that should be easy for an AI

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Why the move and how large is the dataset ?
Why the move:
- No choice, got laid off and was the only job offer I got (i did limit it to NYC positions, so it could have been some of my own doing)

How large a dataset?
- I'm not sure, lol. That particular one is probably gigs. They send a bunch of json files, and from that, we generate like 5-7 different datasets. I think one of the problems is each file only pertains to one person, so we have the overhead of having to open a bunch of files. Not sure why they did it this way, but as I have more meetings, I sense sort of a disconnect between the business teams, the vendors, and the engineering teams.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Sometimes I'll be browsing through linkedin looking at people who I went to school with doing all this cool shyt while i'm sitting there like :mjcry:
A Nap I used to work with moved to Amazon and became a manager then a solutions architect :mjcry: . A loose white chick from college went on to work for NASA :mjcry: . Couple of Asians bought a whole ass apartment complex and renovated it :mjcry: . And is not like my career has sucked... but damn
sadness-beach.gif

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
A Nap I used to work with moved to Amazon and became a manager then a solutions architect :mjcry: . A loose white chick from college went on to work for NASA :mjcry: . Couple of Asians bought a whole ass apartment complex and renovated it :mjcry: . And is not like my career has sucked... but damn
sadness-beach.gif
Im sayin, like where was I when all these great opportunities were being handed out?

Yeah im hatin :martin: