Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
Static webpages = html/css
Dynamic webpages = throw javascript in the mix as well
webapps/interaction with servers = javascript, ruby, java, php, c#, python or some other such language.
im still up learning:snoop:
i googled the difference between the two, now i need to ask, what about like the apps on an iPhone...
??

also where do you even go to start coding an app or a website yourself?
I have so much to learn, I started doing it last year at this time with stocks and i learned and made dough, now i wanna do it with coding...

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Each phone has it's own ecosystem for 'native apps'. Android utilizes Java, which is NOT javascript. Iphone utilizes Objective C, and I believe also allows Swift.

Now, you can make apps through the browser, which both phones can access, utilizing HTML/CSS/Javascript. There is also a problem called phonegap that allows you to port HTML/CSS/Javascript 'webapps' to phones. Real 'apps' take a long-time to make, so I wouldn't worry about that. Stay focused on web pages for now. Utilize codecademy and get the book "Head First HTML/CSS". After you get html and css down, then you can move to Javascript.

Also, programming is not a 'hustle'. You may have seen all these articles about how everybody needs to be 'coding' and how the president is learning 'coding', but that's nonsense. You have to treat it with the respect that you would any other profession such as accounting, engineering, law, etc. IF you really want to make something outstanding, you have to be dedicated and willing to spend a ton of time with it.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
Each phone has it's own ecosystem for 'native apps'. Android utilizes Java, which is NOT javascript. Iphone utilizes Objective C, and I believe also allows Swift.

Now, you can make apps through the browser, which both phones can access, utilizing HTML/CSS/Javascript. There is also a problem called phonegap that allows you to port HTML/CSS/Javascript 'webapps' to phones. Real 'apps' take a long-time to make, so I wouldn't worry about that. Stay focused on web pages for now. Utilize codecademy and get the book "Head First HTML/CSS". After you get html and css down, then you can move to Javascript.

Also, programming is not a 'hustle'. You may have seen all these articles about how everybody needs to be 'coding' and how the president is learning 'coding', but that's nonsense. You have to treat it with the respect that you would any other profession such as accounting, engineering, law, etc. IF you really want to make something outstanding, you have to be dedicated and willing to spend a ton of time with it.

oh no no i haven't seen those articles and wont treat it as a hustle...
i would like to be able to make my own website for my own business and an app to go with it one day but that day wont be today or tomorrow lol..

i gotta ask, say if im not proficient in making apps by the time i need an app, who would i even go to that would make my app without stealing my business idea?

i will take your advice, use the website, and buy the book and read it, any other advice you want to give?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
im still up learning:snoop:
i googled the difference between the two, now i need to ask, what about like the apps on an iPhone...
??

also where do you even go to start coding an app or a website yourself?
I have so much to learn, I started doing it last year at this time with stocks and i learned and made dough, now i wanna do it with coding...

Just for further definition, the difference between a 'static' and a 'dynamic page' is that static pages are primarily HTML/CSS, while dynamic adds Javascript in the mix. In programming, there is a concept of 'separation of concerns', which involves separating programs into different modules or domains in order to make programs more readable and maintainable. HTML 'structures' your pages. CSS is the later that affects the 'views' or in other words, the presentation of the page. If you want interaction, Javascript adds the interactive layer. With HTML and CSS, for the most part, your pages will be where users click here, it takes them to another page for some information, they click there, it goes to another page for information. Javascript is what adds a lot more interactivity. For now, focus on HTML/CSS, and when you have a sufficient grasp of those, move on to Javascript. Javascript is a bit more complex, so you'll need to focus on that on its own.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
i would like to be able to make my own website for my own business and an app to go with it one day but that day wont be today or tomorrow lol..

i gotta ask, say if im not proficient in making apps by the time i need an app, who would i even go to that would make my app without stealing my business idea?

i will take your advice, use the website, and buy the book and read it, any other advice you want to give?
@kevm3

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

My main advice is to persevere and stick with it. You won't understand a lot initially, but if you stick with it, the understanding will slowly, but surely come to you. If you're serious about it, you can't be afraid to invest in resources. Buy yourself a kindle paperwhite so you can get books immediately, set orientation to landscape mode, and buy books on subjects that suit your interests in regards to programming. Don't be cheap and try to look for 'free' resources online, even though they have them. You want to make money, you have to buy yourself the best resources... it's an investment in your own business, which is your mind.

In regards to an app, just keep on fleshing out your app and keep experimenting until you are starting to get it to where you want to take it. You can find web developers out there who will develop it for you, but they aren't cheap.

Daps

There is little chance that someone would steal your idea. Anyone who would be at that point the they could code a complete app already has ideas of their own. Coming up with ideas is easy. The hard part is executing them, so someone would be more likely to steal your idea once you have proven that the concept works. Like kevm said, you would have to pay good money for competent developers, so you are better off learning to code and making your own app.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Something I've been thinking about:
When coding, especially if someone else is going to be coding after you, keep your solutions as simple as possible. Experiment with all the cool, complex features in your free time, but on actual projects, keep it simple. Your goal isn't to show how 'clever' you are by demonstrating your 'programmer's vocabulary.' Your goal is to get things done in a fashion that works, for one, and in a fashion that will make alteration/refactoring down the line simple. The less mental processing someone has to do to understand your code, the better. In fact, it'll be helpful to YOU as well, if you have to revisit your code. You might understand what's going on while you're coding it, but 5 months down the line, that clever solution can be extremely tough to decipher.

Take time to actually learn the language you're utilizing and focus on the fundamentals of programming. A lot of guys want to rush out, learn the bare minimum and attempt to create this 'awesome app.' They want to be cheap in their education and use nothing but online tutorials and start slapping together solutions together by smashing code together until things work, and when things stop working, they go hit a place like stackoverflow up and then plug in someone else's solution without really understanding what is going on. Focus on the programming skills first and the apps will come.

Learn to use libraries, but never be dependent on them. In the web design/development world, you have a lot of people who know how to use jQuery, but never really bothered learning Javascript. When jQuery doesn't have a solution to their problem, they're stuck. Those who actually know Javascript can pick up jQuery rather simply, and in situations where some particular library doesn't offer you a solution, it will be no problem to create your own.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
So what's the progress with everyone? This month I'm going to deep dive into the DOM and jQuery
next month, I'll be focused on handlebars and Ajax, then after that, possibly angular or I'll just get to work on an SPA (single page application).

I'll def be doing something in the programming field this year.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
would anybody recommend these programming boot camps?.....I know some of yall are thinking why pay when you can learn on your own. but I guess the whole appeal of the boot camps is that they teach you so much in only a few months time. and a lot of them have a great job placement rate, and even offer partial refunds if they don't find you a job within 6 months of finishing the program. seems like it could be a great experience:ehh:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
would anybody recommend these programming boot camps?.....I know some of yall are thinking why pay when you can learn on your own. but I guess the whole appeal of the boot camps is that they teach you so much in only a few months time. and a lot of them have a great job placement rate, and even offer partial refunds if they don't find you a job within 6 months of finishing the program. seems like it could be a great experience:ehh:

Depends really, you are right that anybody can learn on there own, but a classroom does provide some type of structure. I did a couple of bootcamp classes for IT networking/security back when I was working warehouse jobs. I'm still 10G's in debt. But here's the thing I'm not sure if I would be where I am today without putting down some type of official training.

If I could do it over, I would of gotten an AA degree instead of the bootcamps, bootcamps are more beneficial for general IT( networking, security, administration). In the end though, it's going to come down to the person.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Depends really, you are right that anybody can learn on there own, but a classroom does provide some type of structure. I did a couple of bootcamp classes for IT networking/security back when I was working warehouse jobs. I'm still 10G's in debt. But here's the thing I'm not sure if I would be where I am today without putting down some type of official training.

If I could do it over, I would of gotten an AA degree instead of the bootcamps, bootcamps are more beneficial for general IT( networking, security, administration). In the end though, it's going to come down to the person.
an AA degree in what?...computer science or CIS/MIS?.....from readin about the bootcamps I thought they were geared towards people wanting to get into programming. don't they even help you build up a portfolio of programs and projects for future employers?

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
an AA degree in what?...computer science or CIS/MIS?.....from readin about the bootcamps I thought they were geared towards people wanting to get into programming. don't they even help you build up a portfolio of programs and projects for future employers?

It would've been in Math. I Think you have to do 4 yrs to get anything in CS. Lol

I know when I did the bootcamps it was geared to new people but again that was for other areas of IT. For programmers, everybody that I know that went to a bootcamp were already programmers( my job sent them ) but they were like 1 - 3 week classes. I assume yours would be longer?

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
It would've been in Math. I Think you have to do 4 yrs to get anything in CS. Lol

I know when I did the bootcamps it was geared to new people but again that was for other areas of IT. For programmers, everybody that I know that went to a bootcamp were already programmers( my job sent them ) but they were like 1 - 3 week classes. I assume yours would be longer?
yea I was contemplating a 3 month course. they supposedly teach you all the popular languages. and even for complete beginners you leave with a nice sized portfolio. work on group projects, individual. this is like 4-5 days a week, 8 hour days. but i was still really considering going to school to get at least an associates. maybe i'll look into math myself. I always hated it, but if I plan on going this programming route I know it would be a great foundation for me. is an associates degree in math good enough to get your foot in the door somewhere?