Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Ghost_In_A_Shell

Talk No Jutsu
Daps
What I mean by truthy or falsy values is that in Javascript, everything that isn't 'null', 0, 'false, undefined, " " (empty string), or NaN evaluates to true.

do you have any projects that you can show as examples?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
do you have any projects that you can show as examples?

Right now, I'm doing a 'language deep-dive' meaning I'm not all that focused on creating the 'showy' stuff because I want to fully understand and move the language completely out of the way before I start focusing on algorithms and doing various things with visuals or interacting with databases on a deep level, but I can whip up a few things on some site like JSBin to demonstrate various concepts. Is there any particular concept you want to see demonstrated?

Ugo Ogugwa

Neega Wotsssss
Supporter
Daps
I'm a technical analyst and developer, I envy you for getting on a agile team, my team is still more waterfall and we are a international team, India, Canada US and we are in different states. Be happy you working agile, it's the future.
Thanks. My team is international as well. Yea from my understanding Agile is an improvement of Waterfall. My boss is the "Product Owner". I'm eager to learn more.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans

Ok. Android Studio came out with their first stable release (1.0). Good stuff. Get it here:
https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Now, you need to know Java and some XML to code Android apps. If you don't know Java, you can begin here:
https://www.udemy.com/java-tutorial/

XML is used for the UI designing but you can use the built in designer.

Android Studio has a lot of great tutorials in website form and even videos:

Follow a tutorial to get an understanding of how to put an app together.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I find that keeping a blog is excellent at helping you understand a subject. Here is something that might help beginners. I attempt to explain the difference between 'logging' a value and in returning a value in Javascript
When one first starts programming, there can often be confusion about the difference between logging something to the console and in a value, since they both seem to output some value to the computer screen.

You are only allowed to return values in functions. One of the purpose of a function is to take inputs which are called arguments, process that data, and then you RETURN a result. The returned result is data given back to the program for further use. For example

function add(a, b) {

return a + b;

}

var result = add(2, 5);

//7 is returned and stored in the variable "result". You can use this value in further operations.

now if you do something such as

var result2 = console.log(2 + 5)
// 7 will be output to the screen. watch what happens when you 'log' the value to see the actual value stored in result2
console.log(result2)
// returns undefined

When you define a function, you specify 'parameters. A and B are parameters. When you call, aka invoke a function, you specify arguments to that function. So in the above example "a" and "b" are parameters of function add. When add is called, "2" and "5" are arguments to that function. What is returned is 7, which is stored in the variable result. Something interesting about Javascript is that functions always return a value, even if you don't have a return statement. If you don't specify a return statement, 'undefined' is returned by the function.

Now, when you "log" a value, such as using the console.log method, you are merely using the log method of the console object. A method is merely a function that belongs to a particular object. In this case, the log function belongs to the console object, hence it being the 'log method'. Now, console.log out puts a value to the screen and that is all it does. As 'log' is a method that does not explicitly return a value, 'undefined is returned'. You do not get back data that you are able to further manipulate with console.log as you do with return

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
You just starting out? For some reason I thought you were seasoned vet?

Nah, I'm not just starting out, but I haven't explored the subject of regular expressions as deeply as I need to. Regular expressions are a fairly advanced subject, but very powerful once you master them.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Static webpages = html/css
Dynamic webpages = throw javascript in the mix as well
webapps/interaction with servers = javascript, ruby, java, php, c#, python or some other such language.