Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Im learning 'R' now. I want to self study machine learning before I take the grad class next year. Statistics compliments computer science so well.

So true! Analytics, Statistics, and Scientific programming are so huge right now. Learn how to use big data, script and puts to use our math/science. So good

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
Hey guys I need some advice, @Type Username Here @kevm3

I have an interview/questions at a coffee shop with the cto of a start-up I want to work with this Spring. I dont think the work is really up my alley in terms of interest long term but I think it will be fun, I think ill be writing JavaScript MVC stuff. Ive been emailing back and forth with his coo and now is time to meet with them on Monday.

So anyway, what should I ask this guy? I really dont know what to ask.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Hey guys I need some advice, @Type Username Here @kevm3

I have an interview/questions at a coffee shop with the cto of a start-up I want to work with this Spring. I dont think the work is really up my alley in terms of interest long term but I think it will be fun, I think ill be writing JavaScript MVC stuff. Ive been emailing back and forth with his coo and now is time to meet with them on Monday.

So anyway, what should I ask this guy? I really dont know what to ask.

You can ask him about the type of work they do, ask them about the overall culture there, what you'd potentially be doing, etc. I think it'd be a nice idea fo also do some research on the company beforehand because it looks impressive if you come in the door prepared and as if you took the initiative enough to research somewhere you'd like to potentially work. I don't know if you have a laptop or not, but if so, you could bring it with you and potentially show off some of the projects you've done and how it aligns with what they do if they allow you to do that.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Anybody use the Java language in their work/career?

I'm in school studying software dev with emphasis on Java, an internship is included in the program of study, ya'll think the internship will help a little when it comes time to apply for jobs?

Also, been learning and playing around with Android Studio, would be dope if I could create and ship an app while in school, that would look good on the resume.

Java is huge right now. I was just speaking with a tech recruiter the other day and he spoke about the crazy number of Java gigs out there (entry level ones included at that).

And when you're looking for your first gig right out of school...the most important thing you can do is express your willingness to learn, your willingness to work within a team, and the love and passion you have for what you do. Those three things along will get you further than most things. Also, If you can talk through some projects you developed while on a team at school, that would be great as well. Someone will take a chance on you.

AwkwardHand

Hand in awkward places
Daps
Reppin
DUUUVALLL
Java is huge right now. I was just speaking with a tech recruiter the other day and he spoke about the crazy number of Java gigs out there (entry level ones included at that).

And when you're looking for your first gig right out of school...the most important thing you can do is express your willingness to learn, your willingness to work within a team, and the love and passion you have for what you do. Those three things along will get you further than most things. Also, If you can talk through some projects you developed while on a team at school, that would be great as well. Someone will take a chance on you.

dap + rep I really appreciate it bro. For real.

That's good to hear about Java, I had heard from a few others that it's still in demand on the market. I'll definitely take note of what you're saying. 2 Quick questions:
1: When putting projects on github, aside from projects from school, what type of personal projects do you all think would really make recruiters understand that I know what I'm doing? So far I'm still getting my hands dirty learning Android dev with Android Studio. So far my github has a Twitter bot (really basic) and a real simple wikipedia scraper (also pretty basic).

2: When I get to the point of doing interviews, aside from expressing my willingness to learn, how do I also let the interviewer know when there's something I don't know? Like I tried BS'ing an interview for unrelated position in the past and shot myself in the foot something serious :sadcam: I don't want to get called out for something, but at the same time I do want them to know that I can learn and adapt quickly.

Also, shout out to @Type Username Here for that android tutorial video posted a while ago, actually helped me clear up some confusion on Studio.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Guys, sorry if I'm asking something already answered but I'm willing to make an Android app by myself. I don't care if it takes me months but I got a pretty clear idea aobut what I want to do. I'm working on the flow charts for the moment and as @kevm3 said I try to keep it simple functions-wise. I also started to read the developer.android.com stuff but that's hella huge and I'm doing it really slowly :ld:

I know about HTML and a little about PHP but it seems that XML and JAVA are the languages needed to code for Android, am I right ?

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
dap + rep I really appreciate it bro. For real.

That's good to hear about Java, I had heard from a few others that it's still in demand on the market. I'll definitely take note of what you're saying. 2 Quick questions:
1: When putting projects on github, aside from projects from school, what type of personal projects do you all think would really make recruiters understand that I know what I'm doing? So far I'm still getting my hands dirty learning Android dev with Android Studio. So far my github has a Twitter bot (really basic) and a real simple wikipedia scraper (also pretty basic).

2: When I get to the point of doing interviews, aside from expressing my willingness to learn, how do I also let the interviewer know when there's something I don't know? Like I tried BS'ing an interview for unrelated position in the past and shot myself in the foot something serious :sadcam: I don't want to get called out for something, but at the same time I do want them to know that I can learn and adapt quickly.

Also, shout out to @Type Username Here for that android tutorial video posted a while ago, actually helped me clear up some confusion on Studio.

Make sure you know the strengths/weaknesses of java relative to c++ for interviews.

The way technical interviews will work is they will ask about a concept at an increasingly advanced level until you can not answer. When you can not answer say that you don't know that yet. They want to see how u do under pressure and how honest u are. They don't expect you to know everything but some stuff is a must know.

For example in java you should def know how to compare a linked and array list, and explain protected vs private.

However, you may not know multi threading techniques like synchronized methods or (semi?) Advanced data structures like splay trees. Whatever you do do not make something up. When i dont know answers i ask the interviewer. It's a conversation.

If they ask u what your favorite data structure is answer the question and ask for their favorite too.

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
Guys, sorry if I'm asking something already answered but I'm willing to make an Android app by myself. I don't care if it takes me months but I got a pretty clear idea aobut what I want to do. I'm working on the flow charts for the moment and as @kevm3 said I try to keep it simple functions-wise. I also started to read the developer.android.com stuff but that's hella huge and I'm doing it really slowly :ld:

I know about HTML and a little about PHP but it seems that XML and JAVA are the languages needed to code for Android, am I right ?

Yes, but its like its own version of java in terms of libraries. I think knowing the strengths and weaknesses of languages relative to each other is always on the most important thing in high level languages.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans

Yes, Java and XML are needed.

I posted some video tutorials a few pages back. Get a handle on Java and XML, and then jump on the tutorial videos. Tutorial videos are the best things out there.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Yes, but its like its own version of java in terms of libraries. I think knowing the strengths and weaknesses of languages relative to each other is always on the most important thing in high level languages.
Do I need to learn both of them in depth ?
Yes, Java and XML are needed.

I posted some video tutorials a few pages back. Get a handle on Java and XML, and then jump on the tutorial videos. Tutorial videos are the best things out there.
Ok thanks, I'll bookmark those tutorials then.