Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Have you made that jump into the market yet?

I haven't made the jump yet, but I'm nearing that point. I want to give myself a few more months to polish my skills before I really hit that campaign trail. I'd hate to walk into an interview and not know what I was talking about.

I just have to really familiarize myself with a few libraries/frameworks like jQuery and Angular, brush up on a couple of Javascript concepts and I should be able to make that transition soon. I've been taking the slow path to learning by deep diving into the language as opposed to having a surface knowledge, but being helpless without the libraries.

MR. Conclusion

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I discovered that page a few days ago :obama:thanks anyway :jawalrus:

I just found out about this site too. The site has a some study guides/courses for beginner and intermediate JavaScript ... http://javascriptissexy.com/how-to-learn-javascript-properly/
http://javascriptissexy.com/how-to-learn-javascript-properly/
I've found it to be more helpful to follow a learning path as opposed to piecing together tutorials. From what I've seen on dice and other sites, that JavaScript money is a game changer.

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You'll probably have to seek the answer at reddit or stackoverflow since there's not all that many advanced javascripters here.

I was thinking of getting an IRC client and hoping he node crypto channel instead.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I just found out about this site too. The site has a some study guides/courses for beginner and intermediate JavaScript ... http://javascriptissexy.com/how-to-learn-javascript-properly/
I've found it to be more helpful to follow a learning path as opposed to piecing together tutorials. From what I've seen on dice and other sites, that JavaScript money is a game changer.

Yeah, definitely learn through books. Get a kindle and buy various programming books and work your way through them. Javascript is one of the worst languages to try to learn by jumping from tutorial to tutorial and if you plan on making programming a career, don't cheap out. People won't buy fake Jordans or fake clothes, but they want to cheap out on knowledge that can make them a career.

When it comes down to it, being skilled at any in-demand language is what brings in the money. My personal advice is to not become a 'language X programmer.' Become a skilled programmer period. Start with one language, such as Javascript, and when you've become sufficiently skilled at that, pick up other languages. You have a lot of guys who only know one language, and when the market turns down for that language, they are stuck. Javascript right now is fairly hot, but then again, when something is hot, it brings in a lot of competition, so you will have to go hard to stand out.

If you're going to do Javascript, make sure you start learning Javascript in depth and the DOM, which is the api for interacting with web pages. A lot of people know how to use jQuery, which is a JS library that abstracts the DOM and makes it easier to use, but they never learn the ins and outs of Javascript, which highly limits them.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Discrete math is hard as hell. The inability to pass this class is what made me stop being a CS major. Brush up on doing proofs if you decide to go this route.

discrete math kicked my ass in college...my professor gave us a pop quiz every fukking class..straight used to stress me out...i had no choice but to take because it was a required course for my CS major...im just glad it was a 200 level class so I was able to pass with a C+ and have it count towards the major...one of only 2 C's I ever got in college (the other in Accounting)....if that was a 300-400 level class I would have had to retake that shyt..thank goodness I didn't :whew:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
With app development, it depends on what platform you want to develop for. Android is Java, and Apple Iphone is Objective C, and I believe now Swift. You can also port Javascript/HTML/CSS apps over via Phonegap. Depends on how serious you are about programming and what ecosystem you want to jump into.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Signed up for treehouse. Time to expand my skillset. Just in case

:wow:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Just posted an entry on my programming blog, but I'll put it up here as well because some of you Javascripters may find it useful:
I finally figured out something that has been bugging me a bit after reading a section of the book Javascript & JQuery By Jon Duckett which involves 'logical short-circuiting' in Javascript. In Javascript, logical operators don't always return true or false. They return the value that stopped the processing.

For example:

var test = "a";
var testA = (test || 'unknown');
console.log(testA);

In an or statement, once one item is true, there is no need to check another, so processing is stopped. The value that stopped the processing of the "or" in variable TestA is the variable test. After test was determined to be a 'truthy' value, there was no need to evaluate the rest of the expression and therefore, the variable test, which evaluates to "a" is returned, as the console.log shows. If no value 'stops' the processing since all values are false, the final 'falsey' value is returned.

var test2 = null;
var testB = (test2 || 'unknown');

console.log(testB);

In this case, console.log will print out 'unknown' since 'unknown' is the true value that stops the processing.

var testC = (null || undefined || 0 || null);

console.log(testC);

In this case, console.log will print out 'null' since all of the values are falsey, including null, and null is the last value, and therefore it is returned when the expression is evaluated.

Now here is a very interesting case that demonstrates what was being said:

var testD = (null || undefined || 0 || false || 5 || null);

console.log(testD);

In this case, "5" will be printed out since it is the first true value, and the value that 'stops the processing'.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
What I mean by truthy or falsy values is that in Javascript, everything that isn't 'null', 0, 'false, undefined, " " (empty string), or NaN evaluates to true.