Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
I really need to look into learning Spring. Our school doesn't teach us anything about frameworks, We had a Intro programming classes with Java and then Data structures stuff in C++. Currently taking another Java class and it's mostly about good Object oriented design practices and patterns. Am taking a C#/.net class next semester so that should at least be useful. Honestly I really think I might just focus my free time on learning Android dev stuff. The two projects I've done so far for school were Desktop Games, the bulk of the code just being Event listeners and GUIs which I feel is probably closer to Android stuff than any Backend/Frontend web stuff

Nothing wrong with over achieving but you trying to learn too much right now. If you can't pass an algorithm interview in a language that you are good in then learning a million other languages and frameworks ain't going to help. You can always pick up the other things once you get in your foot in the door some where.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Get back to using command line, you will need to use it in the real world.
No IDEs in the real world ??? :mjcry:

Nothing wrong with over achieving but you trying to learn too much right now. If you can't pass an algorithm interview in a language that you are good in then learning a million other languages and frameworks ain't going to help. You can always pick up the other things once you get in your foot in the door some where.
Most of that I am forced to learn because of exams/labs and it's really shallow knowledge . Java Is the only language I currently feel comfortable building something in but I feel like I'm limited in what I can do if I don't learn the Framework stuff. I do know the importance of data structures and algorithms as far as interviews go though.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps

Most of that I am forced to learn because of exams/labs and it's really shallow knowledge . Java Is the only language I currently feel comfortable building something in but I feel like I'm limited in what I can do if I don't learn the Framework stuff. I do know the importance of data structures and algorithms as far as interviews go though.
I do 90% of my builds and all of my commits through command line. I work in remote, headless environments where the only way of interacting is through SSH. I've been working in Docker and the only tools are CLI. IDEs are good for coding but there's a lot more to software engineering than writing code.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

You will be able to use an IDE in the real world, but your IDE likely has an ability to pull up the terminal right inside of it. You'll have to type some commands out in it. Nothing too difficult but it pays to learn it.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps

He dropped gems. After y'all watch the whole video, let me know what y'all think?

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This Asian dude from my coding bootcamp is losing it on Facebook Messenger. We finished in December and he still doesn't have a job. I've talked about him before in this thread. But now he's complaining about racism and how he gets lumped in with rich foreign Asians.

And I'm trying to explain to him that he's competing with hundreds of other people for every job. We live in NYC.

The boot camp shyt has really fukked up the industry. Now it's impossible to get in. Even folks with 5+ years experience have trouble getting a job in this field.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The boot camp shyt has really fukked up the industry. Now it's impossible to get in. Even folks with 5+ years experience have trouble getting a job in this field.
thats one of the reasons i hesitating to even becoming a dev after getting my degree requirements and interview styles are ridiculous

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Got a phone screen for a project manager role at one of the big 4 top companies, thing is im currently working a contractor working at the same company but i work nights while going to college in the morning. On my cv i have that i graduating may 2019 hopefully the recuriter has seen this cuz im not gonna lie im kinda hyped :francis: but i dont want to get dissapointed. I meet pretty much all the criterias for the role too :francis:

pray for me brehs :sadcam:
as i expected they want me to start asap but i told the recruiter im still in my final year in college he told me he would keep in touch as there are more opening roles comming next summer and added me on linkedin. still wont put all my eggs in one practice and will keep practicing programming. :wow:

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
What you think is the solution? Focus on newer technologies instead of just pure web and sofware dev?

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
I'm not a developer - i'm a project manager. But going for a technical PM role and I need to be able to do some basic UML.

Can anyone help a breh out?