Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

Is he full of shyt?

There is no get quick scheme to get a SE job and it's kinda annoying how much this field is marketed. There is jobs everywhere but they aren't trying to hire someone who got no work experience despite their background (internships, projects, and that good old GPA). Heck, I've been looking for a hot bit, and I'm already to go outside the country.:snoop:

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Got a phone screen for a project manager role at one of the big 4 top companies, thing is im currently working a contractor working at the same company but i work nights while going to college in the morning. On my cv i have that i graduating may 2019 hopefully the recuriter has seen this cuz im not gonna lie im kinda hyped :francis: but i dont want to get dissapointed. I meet pretty much all the criterias for the role too :francis:

pray for me brehs :sadcam:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
There is no get quick scheme to get a SE job and it's kinda annoying how much this field is marketed. There is jobs everywhere but they aren't trying to hire someone who got no work experience despite their background (internships, projects, and that good old GPA). Heck, I've been looking for a hot bit, and I'm already to go outside the country.:snoop:

It's very difficult for people to get that first job. I went the self-study route and it took me a year of self study and deploying several projects. It will take at least a month or two nonstop of applying and interviewing to get that first opportunity and you better have a ton of deployed sites. These guys telling people that you can do a few months of self study and there are jobs everywhere and you'll get this high paying job are usually trying to sell a bootcamp or their course.

The reality is, there are tons of jobs for people with experience and some level of renown. Companies don't really want to take on newcomers and train them up because they will likely leave after a year for much higher pay, so your self study game better be on point.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
On the topic of Resumes I have one due tomorrow for a class. This a basic outline of what I'm going to turn in can I get some critiques and advice?? :lupe:

You need to be more specific and list the actual frameworks that you've made projects in and it should be targeted for the job you are applying for. For example, if you want a backend java job, you have to list something like Spring Mvc and link to a project you've done with that.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I've been learning Java and have no problem with it. But....I can't escape the feeling that perhaps learning c#/.net would be better.

indeed.com

'java' - my area = 5,755 jobs
'c#' - my area = 1,630 jobs

Sure Java is more popular in my area but my chief concern is competition. I don't want to have to compete with hundreds of other people for a job. A company's HR department will have to go through hundreds of applications and the dumb breh with no college degree/work experience will have his resume thrown in the shredder. So going with the less popular technology might be a way to avoid competition. Also the java/c#/.net backend stuff has a steeper learning curve. So that means less boot campers applying to these jobs. (they mostly fukk with nodejs/flash/django)

I agree that it's easier to get on and make progress with a more niche/emerging technology because if this tech just came out and it's in demand, it's harder for anyone to have any more experience than you do, whereas if you are trying to get a job with a technology that has been out 10 years, you're going to be competing against guys with 5 to 10 years of experience.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I think I should move away from searching "insert developer* jobs. I still want to program but I want to do that with another thing.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This Asian dude from my coding bootcamp is losing it on Facebook Messenger. We finished in December and he still doesn't have a job. I've talked about him before in this thread. But now he's complaining about racism and how he gets lumped in with rich foreign Asians.

And I'm trying to explain to him that he's competing with hundreds of other people for every job. We live in NYC.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
You need to be more specific and list the actual frameworks that you've made projects in and it should be targeted for the job you are applying for. For example, if you want a backend java job, you have to list something like Spring Mvc and link to a project you've done with that.
I really need to look into learning Spring. Our school doesn't teach us anything about frameworks, We had a Intro programming classes with Java and then Data structures stuff in C++. Currently taking another Java class and it's mostly about good Object oriented design practices and patterns. Am taking a C#/.net class next semester so that should at least be useful. Honestly I really think I might just focus my free time on learning Android dev stuff. The two projects I've done so far for school were Desktop Games, the bulk of the code just being Event listeners and GUIs which I feel is probably closer to Android stuff than any Backend/Frontend web stuff

Last edited:

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
This Asian dude from my coding bootcamp is losing it on Facebook Messenger. We finished in December and he still doesn't have a job. I've talked about him before in this thread. But now he's complaining about racism and how he gets lumped in with rich foreign Asians.

And I'm trying to explain to him that he's competing with hundreds of other people for every job. We live in NYC.

It's gonna be harder for him than it is for Los Blancos, you need to tell him to broaden his search or apply to some support/analyst position to get into the other position.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
If you dont like to study outside of work i dont kbow if i can recommend this field to a person. Theres a reason programmers get paid what they do. You have to constantly keep up with fairly vast bodies of knowledge.

First couple of years you will have to pay your dues

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I really need to look into learning Spring. Our school doesn't teach us anything about frameworks, We had a Intro programming class with Java and then Data structures stuff in C++. Currently taking another Java class and it's mostly about good Object oriented design practices and patterns. Am taking a C#/.net class next semester so that should at least be useful. Honestly I really think I might just focus my free time on learning Android dev stuff. The two projects I've done so far for school were Desktop Games, the bulk of the code just being Event listeners and GUIs which I feel is probably closer to Android stuff than any Backend/Frontend web stuff
If you want to do ui development, pick javascript and learn react and react native. That will let you get a web dev and a mobile dev job. Reacr native allows you to make ios and android apps with one codebase.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
If you want to do ui development, pick javascript and learn react and react native. That will let you get a web dev and a mobile dev job. Reacr native allows you to make ios and android apps with one codebase.

I actually spent the summer dabbling in Javascript. I really liked it and wanted to get into Web developement but when I tried to learn the frameworks I was overwhelmed by the Node/command line and directory stuff to set up/serve a project. I'm used to an IDE where I can just open a new file and hit a button and to run my code .

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I actually spent the summer dabbling in Javascript. I really liked it and wanted to get into Web developement but when I tried to learn the frameworks I was overwhelmed by the Node/command line and directory stuff to set up/serve a project. I'm used to an IDE where I can just open a new file and hit a button and to run my code .
Get back to using command line, you will need to use it in the real world.