Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

Freelance did not help him at all + the fact that he's in CA. Everybody and they moms can make a website. And boot camps keep on rolling out these folks. But I definitely agree with the center message of the video of getting a backup. It's kind of backs up the retention rate in this field.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've decided on Las Vegas being the place I want to relocate. It's a major city with a small-medium tech scene (and therefore less job competition than New York). There aren't many entry level jobs so I'm not sure how I'll make it. The city itself is very interesting to me since it's a very lively place that's open 24/7. It's pretty much Dubai in America as far as I can tell.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I can't recommend the tech industry unless you LOVE what you're doing. if you're not willing to spend hours after work exploring new programming concepts, you can become obsolete very quickly. You see how hard it is to get into the door. There are a ton more opportunities once you get a couple of years of experience, in particular with a large company. Yes, this industry can pay a lot, but it's also very unstable. Unless you are the cream of the crop you're going to have to look over your shoulder for risk of getting fired.

I plan on substantially increasing my math skills because I see the crud app development becoming saturated with bootcamps pumping out candidates nonstop

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
A major lesson I've learned in the software engineering world is people are highly opinionated and acting as if what they know is fact.

The reality is they don't know the future and this field is vulnerable to trends like any other field.

Like how object-oriented at one point was looked at as the end-all-be-all, and now it's functional programming. But functional programming isn't some new paradigm, it was around during the object-oriented frenzy. I say there's a good chance people will drop functional programming later on too to go back to object-oriented or on to some other hot paradigm.

People really don't know shyt about shyt at the end of the day, but act like they do.

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
A major lesson I've learned in the software engineering world is people are highly opinionated and acting as if what they know is fact.

The reality is they don't know the future and this field is vulnerable to trends like any other field.

Like how object-oriented at one point was looked at as the end-all-be-all, and now it's functional programming. But functional programming isn't some new paradigm, it was around during the object-oriented frenzy. I say there's a good chance people will drop functional programming later on too to go back to object-oriented or on to some other hot paradigm.

People really don't know shyt about shyt at the end of the day, but act like they do.
Programming has some of the worst hype, pump and dump and herd mentality I have ever seen. Being able to ignore the latest hype is key to saving time and keeping your sanity.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Programming has some of the worst hype, pump and dump and herd mentality I have ever seen. Being able to ignore the latest hype is key to saving time and keeping your sanity.

Exactly breh, it sums up the software industry as a whole.

This reply on reddit right here (which you practically echoed) is something I want to tell/show everybody who seems highly opinionated:

The question was asked:
Is vim really that good?

One of the best responses I've ever read in software:
Yes, vim is really that good.

emacs is really that good, too. Eclipse is really good. IntelliJ is really good. Atom and Sublime are really good as well.

Can't you just use what you like and not look for herd to make decisions for you? If you want to see how it is to use vim yourself, then just use it. Follow few tutorials, use it for few days, go back to whatever you were using and see how you react - did you like vim better? Do you feel relief that you are back to something else?

There is your answer right here.

Chances are you're going to be really productive with whatever tech/language/etc. you know best.

Last edited:

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps

This looks like the new claim