Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I've been learning Java and have no problem with it. But....I can't escape the feeling that perhaps learning c#/.net would be better.

indeed.com

'java' - my area = 5,755 jobs
'c#' - my area = 1,630 jobs

Sure Java is more popular in my area but my chief concern is competition. I don't want to have to compete with hundreds of other people for a job. A company's HR department will have to go through hundreds of applications and the dumb breh with no college degree/work experience will have his resume thrown in the shredder. So going with the less popular technology might be a way to avoid competition. Also the java/c#/.net backend stuff has a steeper learning curve. So that means less boot campers applying to these jobs. (they mostly fukk with nodejs/flash/django)

Bro there's nothing wrong with learning a new technology. Ever. I started with C++ I'm learning damn near everything. I'm a Mechanical Engineer and I'm gonna try to learn everything because if I don't like what I'm doing or if someone is paying more, I can go somewhere else.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I've been learning Java and have no problem with it. But....I can't escape the feeling that perhaps learning c#/.net would be better.

indeed.com

'java' - my area = 5,755 jobs
'c#' - my area = 1,630 jobs

Sure Java is more popular in my area but my chief concern is competition. I don't want to have to compete with hundreds of other people for a job. A company's HR department will have to go through hundreds of applications and the dumb breh with no college degree/work experience will have his resume thrown in the shredder. So going with the less popular technology might be a way to avoid competition. Also the java/c#/.net backend stuff has a steeper learning curve. So that means less boot campers applying to these jobs. (they mostly fukk with nodejs/flash/django)

If you like it, go learn it.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
For folks who are working but don't like their job: one way to learn new tech and languages while building a great resume is by building tooling for your job in the language or tech you want to learn.

That gives you an excuse to work on personal projects at work, you can then tell a future employer about how you helped the company and you've gained a ton of knowledge about tech that goes beyond your company and is applicable to many other jobs and companies.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
On the topic of Resumes I have one due tomorrow for a class. This a basic outline of what I'm going to turn in can I get some critiques and advice?? :lupe:

Last edited:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Guys, how much and how long would it take for someone to create a social media app for a user base of say 6,000?
That's all pretty dependent on the functionality you're looking for. Somebody could stand up a POC in a few days, or it could take a few weeks. What platform do your want it on? Will it be cross-platform? That could run you extra. Budget $20-45 per hour and that will give you a decent ballpark.

On the topic of Resumes I have one due tomorrow for a class. This a basic outline of what I'm going to turn in can I get some critiques and advice?? :lupe:

Can't see anything. Or is it just my phone :patrice:

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
That's all pretty dependent on the functionality you're looking for. Somebody could stand up a POC in a few days, or it could take a few weeks. What platform do your want it on? Will it be cross-platform? That could run you extra. Budget $20-45 per hour and that will give you a decent ballpark.

Can't see anything. Or is it just my phone :patrice:
A failure on my part was trying to upload a picture of it but here's the PDF
resumev001.docx

:whoa: Forewarning It's basically the outline for the one I actually plan on turning in

Last edited:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
A failure on my part was trying to upload a picture of it but here's the PDF
resumev001.docx

:whoa: Forewarning It's basically the outline for the one I actually plan on turning in
You should roll "Self-motivated, enthusiastic to learn, great problem solving skills, good communication skills" into your summary or objective section. Even though they're skills (believe me, people lack in these areas hugely) they should be a given. Programming fundamentals are implied by having completed coursework, specifically in CMPS 150 and CMPS 341. Data structures and algorithms are implied by CMPS 260, CMPS 261, and CMPS 340. So for those classes if you have projects that demonstrate those skills you should include them. So if you've implemented something like a hash map, or priority queue using self-made structures those might be good additions. You should include a project for both C# and Java, and be prepared to compare and contrast the languages.

brehsume.docx

Always pay attention to formatting. It needs to be human and machine readable. If you save your .docx as a .txt and the formatting looks funky then a computer will almost definitely parse it wrong. Notice how I didn't use any tables.

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps

Is he full of shyt?

The problem with a lot of these "you can do it too" videos is that they don't tell it like it is. The biggest piece of misinformation about the tech sector is jobs. You always hear it, there are tons of jobs out there. That's absolutely true, but the vast majority of these openings are for mid-career developers - 3+ years of experience. I struggled to find employment after I graduated with a C.S. degree and I applied all across the country. It took almost 6 months to land something and my skills trended towards the above average group. I have coworkers at my level of experience telling me that people they graduated with still don't have jobs in industry, and this is well over a year later. So people without a degree have to understand they face stiff competition. My employer, multinational Fortune listed company, only took less than 1% of applicants to my positon this past year. Entry-level applicants are fighting tooth and nail to get their foot in the door.

Maybe the DB Programmer or System Admin path will work for some who eventually want to be Software Engineers but it's not going to be as easy a dude tries to make it out. Even though I'm working an atypical role for a new developer, I'm doing DBA work, Sys Admin work, and Software Engineer work on a day-to-day basis. So if you really want to break into the industry you will need a breadth of skills. Object Oriented Programming, scripting, database programming, operations. You need to be fluid with languages and be able to learn your application's tech stack quickly. If any of this seems like a big obstacle then you just won't make it. If you do then you'll be the developer that people want to strangle every day :franchit:.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
The problem with a lot of these "you can do it too" videos is that they don't tell it like it is. The biggest piece of misinformation about the tech sector is jobs. You always hear it, there are tons of jobs out there. That's absolutely true, but the vast majority of these openings are for mid-career developers - 3+ years of experience. I struggled to find employment after I graduated with a C.S. degree and I applied all across the country. It took almost 6 months to land something and my skills trended towards the above average group. I have coworkers at my level of experience telling me that people they graduated with still don't have jobs in industry, and this is well over a year later. So people without a degree have to understand they face stiff competition. My employer, multinational Fortune listed company, only took less than 1% of applicants to my positon this past year. Entry-level applicants are fighting tooth and nail to get their foot in the door.

Maybe the DB Programmer or System Admin path will work for some who eventually want to be Software Engineers but it's not going to be as easy a dude tries to make it out. Even though I'm working an atypical role for a new developer, I'm doing DBA work, Sys Admin work, and Software Engineer work on a day-to-day basis. So if you really want to break into the industry you will need a breadth of skills. Object Oriented Programming, scripting, database programming, operations. You need to be fluid with languages and be able to learn your application's tech stack quickly. If any of this seems like a big obstacle then you just won't make it. If you do then you'll be the developer that people want to strangle every day :franchit:.
This is nothing but the pure fukking truth. I ask everyone after we hire them - what lead them to us and what was their process before hand, the stories. The shame and desperation, they should all work in HR :scusthov:

Modern day college should involve 50% of work done in the field, the audacity of the older gen hiring process. :francis: