Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I feel i'm okay at web development(Got the fundamentals down) , but I want to do FS/Web(Frontend), but I really don't know where I can do and where to start.

try out angular or react and learn one of those. You will have to know one of those two or vue to get a front end job

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
So much to master in front end development alone, it's crazy. HTML, CSS, Responsive Web Design, Javascript, Typescript possibly, Angular, React or Vue, SASS, web pack.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Coders Programming Themselves Out of a Job

In 2016, an anonymous confession appeared on Reddit: “From around six years ago up until now, I have done nothing at work.” As far as office confessions go, that might seem pretty tepid. But this coder, posting as FiletOFish1066, said he worked for a well-known tech company, and he really meant nothing. He wrote that within eight months of arriving on the quality assurance job, he had fully automated his entire workload. “I am not joking. For 40 hours each week, I go to work, play League of Legends in my office, browse Reddit, and do whatever I feel like. In the past six years, I have maybe done 50 hours of real work.” When his bosses realized that he’d worked less in half a decade than most Silicon Valley programmers do in a week, they fired him.

Breh deleted his account: reddit.com/u/FiletOFish1066

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
The Coders Programming Themselves Out of a Job

Breh deleted his account: reddit.com/u/FiletOFish1066
That's easy enough for people who do repetitive things every day but nothing I do can be automated. I could probably automate most of our testing team out of existence if I really wanted to though, and sometimes 8 really freaking want to :snoop:. But that aside I'm writing custom pieces of code and doing some hardcore troubleshooting.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If he's smart, those six years were spent finessing his way into retirement

His boss fired him.

That's easy enough for people who do repetitive things every day but nothing I do can be automated. I could probably automate most of our testing team ouy if existence if I really wanted to though, and sometimes 8 really freaking want to :snoop:. But that aside I'm writing custom pieces of code and doing some hardcore troubleshooting.

You could pitch the idea to your boss in exchange for a pay raise. Paying you alot of money would be cheaper than paying a team of people. Though that would be a cold-hearted thing to do since you'll be putting them out of work.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
His boss fired him.

You could pitch the idea to your boss in exchange for a pay raise. Paying you alot of money would be cheaper than paying a team of people. Though that would be a cold-hearted thing to do since you'll be putting them out of work.
My leadership isn't a part of the team I'm on, so at best it could help me come bonus time, at worst I could get stuck dealing with testing because when you do one thing well one time they assume you're an SME, and I'm trying to avoid that at all costs. The sad thing is, if the testers would just take hold of the automation we already have in place then they could kick back for most of the development iteration. I've been working on some supplementary tools for the current test framework that will let them fill out some JSONs, write a quick test, then call it a day. But I have a feeling they're going to push back with the thought that because they have to write some code it's really a task for a developer.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Man, I just grinded out a 6 hour interview for a new job, 4 whiteboard questions, then they wanted me to build a single page app for them from scratch and only gave me one hour to do it smh.

The interview process is starting to get ridiculous, I haven't bootstrapped anything in over a year ever since I started working.

That said, I'm starting to use my skills and experience for other things:

Anybody have any experience with algotrading (mainly with forex) on here? I heard there's too much competition and companies have the advantage of numbers, but I'm looking for something along those lines of getting paid for your skills outside of work.

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Stack your money. This tech industry can be very unstable, and while there are fat paychecks to be had now, who really knows how long this will last. I'm going to save as much money as possible and parlay it into other avenues and hopefully my own business. A dude at my job who I'm cool with has been working there for 9 months and out of nowhere they just told him, "We don't have any more budget for you so you're gone." These companies don't care if you moved down there and got a lease for them. They will let you go in an instant.

Being skilled and getting your name out there is very necessary in this industry or you can get in very troublesome situations if you move somewhere, sign a lease and get let go and find it nearly impossible to find another job.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been learning Java and have no problem with it. But....I can't escape the feeling that perhaps learning c#/.net would be better.

indeed.com

'java' - my area = 5,755 jobs
'c#' - my area = 1,630 jobs

Sure Java is more popular in my area but my chief concern is competition. I don't want to have to compete with hundreds of other people for a job. A company's HR department will have to go through hundreds of applications and the dumb breh with no college degree/work experience will have his resume thrown in the shredder. So going with the less popular technology might be a way to avoid competition. Also the java/c#/.net backend stuff has a steeper learning curve. So that means less boot campers applying to these jobs. (they mostly fukk with nodejs/flask/django)

Last edited: