Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Double J

Banned
Daps
I made a small application with it a couple of years back. Much better than Swing and AWT :scust:. At any rate, UI/UX isn't my forte, I'll stick to back end.
I started out with Swing and it was :hhh: Moved on to JavaFX and a breh was like :blessed:

Never tried AWT but I can only imagine how bad it was considering Swing was considered to be a huge improvement over it.

What type of back end programming do you do (ie. what kind of tasks etc.)?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I started out with Swing and it was :hhh: Moved on to JavaFX and a breh was like :blessed:

Never tried AWT but I can only imagine how bad it was considering Swing was considered to be a huge improvement over it.

What type of back end programming do you do (ie. what kind of tasks etc.)?
It's hard to say, my role isn't clearly defined. The way I'm utilized I have to be a jack of all trades. Database schema updates, operations troubleshooting, CI/CD work, several manners of testing, extending core functionality of the application. SQL, Java, Bash, Python, Ruby, JavaScript. It's a lot of learning on the go.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm really enjoying flutter the more I use it now. Great app framework.

Double J

Banned
Daps
I'm really enjoying flutter the more I use it now. Great app framework.
Very interested in trying this. It is supposed to allow for seamless cross platform development between iOS and Android and also be the default development platform for Google's planned Android replacement Fuchsia.

What have you done with it?

Double J

Banned
Daps
It's hard to say, my role isn't clearly defined. The way I'm utilized I have to be a jack of all trades. Database schema updates, operations troubleshooting, CI/CD work, several manners of testing, extending core functionality of the application. SQL, Java, Bash, Python, Ruby, JavaScript. It's a lot of learning on the go.
:wow: that's a lot of stuff you have to know. Hope the $ is good.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Very interested in trying this. It is supposed to allow for seamless cross platform development between iOS and Android and also be the default development platform for Google's planned Android replacement Fuchsia.

What have you done with it?

Just getting started with it, so I haven't made anything super significant. Dart is quite similar to javascript so it's not super difficult to pick up.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
:wow: that's a lot of stuff you have to know. Hope the $ is good.
giphy.gif

Well the pay is obviously good compared to other professions but it's nowhere near good enough when compared to other companies. It's very hard to see myself sticking around after my 401k vests in a couple of years. At that point they'll probably have to damn near double what I'm making now to properly compensate me for my skills and body of work. Sad thing for the company, I'm not a unique case. They're hemorrhaging talent, at least in my area, because they don't want to pay accordingly. In 3 or 4 years I'm targeting Microsoft and Google, possibly Amazon depending on where HQ2 ends up. If I land there I'm gonna be dug in like a tick.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I feel i'm okay at web development(Got the fundamentals down) , but I want to do FS/Web(Frontend), but I really don't know where I can do and where to start.

Last edited:

MollyGalaga

+*++****+*+*+*=*++*.*+
Daps
Reppin
HTX
this makes no sense

we can't cheat/copy code but the code we have to complete is taken straight for Liang and his boys over at Pearson
:aicmon:

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Learning React, and feel like It makes things more modular, but it complicates simpler task. :stopitslime: