Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I think I need to move to a new project around here. Dudes pushing code that fails at runtime and the reviewers not even reviewing properly :skip:. But let me push a change and hit with a game of 21 questions:beli:.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
This post pretty much is a summary of my work experiences. I really want a remote job:

Remote Workers Are Outperforming Office Workers--Here's Why

1. Productivity
With no office distractions and greater autonomy, remote workers have the freedom to get more done. This is something most people crave. According to a nationwide survey, 65 percent of workers said that remote work would give their productivity a boost. Another 86 percent said that working alone allows them to hit maximum productivity.

2. Teamwork
Despite the distance, remote workers make the best teammates. This is because that distance demands more communication. Without being able to lean on physical proximity, remote workers must reach out to one another frequently and with purpose. This leads to stronger collaboration and camaraderie. And all those long-distance video chats? An astounding 92 percent of workers say the video collaboration actually improves their teamwork.

3. Presence
Office life is littered with absences -- workers who are calling in sick or sneaking out early to run an errand or get to an event on time. But remote workers do not need to make excuses. Since they are not tied to an office, they can design their workday to meet the demands of their lives. If they have a cold, they can work from home without spreading the germs to others. And if they need to run an errand, they can handle it quickly without losing a workday. This ultimately makes remote workers more present for their work and team.

These are just a few of the reasons that I say the most effective workers are the ones who do not work in an office. Remote workers are able to cut through the noise and focus on what really matters: meaningful work and being happy doing it.

#2 is especially true. In person some people look like they just can't be bothered and also avods awkward situations. When you ping somebody on slack though all that is abstracted away.

I know at my current company, they don't value remote work and want people in their chairs. This is because the CEO gives tours to his customers and wants to put up a front. Albeit at the expense of productivity.

Last edited:
Daps
This post pretty much is a summary of my work experiences. I really want a remote job:

#2 is especially true. In person some people look like they just can't be bothered and also avods awkward situations. When you ping somebody on slack though all that is abstracted away.

I know at my current company, they don't value remote work and want people in their chairs. This is because the CEO gives tours to his customers and wants to put up a front. Albeit at the expense of productivity.

One of the biggest problems with remote work is you miss out on learning standard industry practices, meetings, code reviews etc...

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps

Most of my team is located on the east coast so for all intents and purposes I'm working remotely even though I go into the local office. I disagree with all of these lol. I feel my productivity is way lower at home because the distractions are more central to you - kids, TV, pets, chores. When I'm at work I'm there to do one thing and one thing only. At home :mjlit:...

I think teamwork is better in person. It took me maybe 4-6 weeks to get up to speed on my project because I had someone I could sit next to the whole time. Without him I'd probably still be picking up the basic premise today. It's real easy to ignore someone's message but hard to ignore someone next to you. I messaged a dude about the broken code I mentioned earlier and he took almost half the day to get back to me. shyt man, it took 6 months for one of my access requests to get approved and it was several of us trying to get in contact with the dude. Wasn't any administrative roadblocks either. I sit with 3 other team members and we keep a good flow of knowledge going because we're literally next to one another.

The third could be rectified by flexible work times. 8/9-5 shouldn't be mandated. Put in your 40, spread it over 5 days a week, then have a nice weekend :yeshrug:. I prefer to get in early and get out early so flexible time is a must at the next company I move to.

MMA

Superstar
Daps

Agreed it's how I'm doing things right now. But I realize it's dependent on the job and position. There are some thing that cannot be passed off onto last minute or without a very detailed organization will workout better than a gathering situation. The article doesn't speak on which form of workers. I'd never put non-experience individuals in a remote working environment.

One of the biggest problems with remote work is you miss out on learning standard industry practices, meetings, code reviews etc...

This really only applies to people new in the game, after a couple of years. The interaction you are looking for is minimal. I do agree when it comes to large decisions, it should be in a collective room.

Most of my team is located on the east coast so for all intents and purposes I'm working remotely even though I go into the local office. I disagree with all of these lol. I feel my productivity is way lower at home because the distractions are more central to you - kids, TV, pets, chores. When I'm at work I'm there to do one thing and one thing only. At home :mjlit:...

I think teamwork is better in person. It took me maybe 4-6 weeks to get up to speed on my project because I had someone I could sit next to the whole time. Without him I'd probably still be picking up the basic premise today. It's real easy to ignore someone's message but hard to ignore someone next to you. I messaged a dude about the broken code I mentioned earlier and he took almost half the day to get back to me. shyt man, it took 6 months for one of my access requests to get approved and it was several of us trying to get in contact with the dude. Wasn't any administrative roadblocks either. I sit with 3 other team members and we keep a good flow of knowledge going because we're literally next to one another.

The third could be rectified by flexible work times. 8/9-5 shouldn't be mandated. Put in your 40, spread it over 5 days a week, then have a nice weekend :yeshrug:. I prefer to get in early and get out early so flexible time is a must at the next company I move to.

Well in my experience hiring remotely is cheaper overall and you can find people of higher quality who enjoy their line of work more.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

I guess different styles for everybody :russ:

Working remote gives me that feeling I had when I was more hungry for a job. When working remote I'll grind out something at 2am like I did before I was working. I just feel like I personally have time for everything and don't feel like I'm missing out on life vs being stuck at the company office for hours. If I want to do something right then and there I could do it, then come back home to go to work with peace of mind and fully-focused.

I definitely see why plenty of people prefer the office and going in to work, I guess I'm not that type really. For all the potential distractions I see around the house, I see as many things taking time away from my work like the extra 30 minutes to 1.5 hours per day of traffic could have been spend working on the project.

I also prefer communicating through slack, that way everything is all in writing.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

I think this more depends on your team. If they're "on it" or not. I know sometimes I'll get a code review immediately or sometimes a full week later when not working remote. Some companies have meetings everyday and some are done through conference calls.

End of the day I think it depends more on company/team rather than remote/in-office.

Daps
I think I need to move to a new project around here. Dudes pushing code that fails at runtime and the reviewers not even reviewing properly :skip:. But let me push a change and hit with a game of 21 questions:beli:.
Some bugs have made me ask why the original developer didn't take the time to thoroughly test his/her code. It really makes me question the quality of the product if it has so many bugs in it.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Some bugs have made me ask why the original developer didn't take the time to thoroughly test his/her code. It really makes me question the quality of the product if it has so many bugs in it.
I know that our developers do next to no testing because we have dedicated testers. Problem is, our testers are shyt. They don't even have development environments set up so that they can do isolated testing. It all has to move into a testing server before they look at it.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Taking JavaScript right now and struggling like crazy:mjcry:
What have yall learned so far??. I sort of self studied over the summer and the hardest parts for me were the functions/methods at first , the "this" keyword, and the prototype thing for inheritance in OOP

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
What have yall learned so far??. I sort of self studied over the summer and the hardest parts for me were the functions/methods at first , the "this" keyword, and the prototype thing for inheritance in OOP
shyt going fast as fukk. Functions arent that hard. It's the syntax that's killing me. Similar but very different from bash at the same time. We're also doing jQuery. It's supposed to be a full stack course thus why the fast pace. THink we spent all of 3 days on functions and then the fukka gave us some hard ass calculator game assignments to do

Light

Pro
Daps
Hey, does anyone here know of any good python tutorials for beginners?