Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Appreciate all the help (besides the corny UPS jab). I'll look into those videos and do some research.
You can think it's corny but so many people go into programming for the bread then end up switching majors

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
It's just a slow language in general. It was meant more for 'developer happiness' than speed.
A large part of our pipeline uses a Chef and Ruby and all it does is piss people off :pacspit:. Me and my boy are working towards phasing it (and the dev who manages it) out but we might not be able to given the infrastructure of our application.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
A large part of our pipeline uses a Chef and Ruby and all it does is piss people off :pacspit:. Me and my boy are working towards phasing it (and the dev who manages it) out but we might not be able to given the infrastructure of our application.

I will say Ruby and Ruby on Rails definitely played its part, but it's pretty much a deprecated language. They brought a lot to the table with Rails, but ultimately it's slowness and strange syntax kind of pushed it as a niche language. I'm just glad I didn't get that Ruby on Rails job and instead got an Angular/Typescript job as my first job.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not sure what the best skill to learn for potential employment. The thing is mad people know javascript and/or web development stuff. It's a low barrier to entry as it doesn't require advanced calculus, cryptography, or any hard science that takes years to learn. The job market is super competitive. I see guys/companies putting up job postings on reddit and the position gets filled 20 minutes later.

For example:

Last edited:

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Just a reminder brehs to keep your eyes open for new opportunities and make sure you stay on top of the job market, even if you're happy in your current position. Long story short, I was happy in my now former job as an iOS engineer. However, a few events there over the past few months made me pause to reconsider whether they cared about my growth and what I really wanted there career-wise vs. what they were pushing for. At one point, I was even questioning my worth to the company because of some feedback I received. With that in mind, I started seriously entertaining recruiters and actively applying for new positions.

About a month later, I landed one of them and in a couple of weeks I'll be starting a new position as an iOS software engineer at a well-known company with an almost 25% pay bump and more benefits without the extra responsibilities I took on at my last job. Even if I hadn't gotten an offer where I'll be working at now, the research and interviewing for other positions I did gave me some indication of where I stood in the job market relative to where I was.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I'm not sure what the best skill to learn for potential employment. The thing is <b>mad</b> people know javascript and/or web development stuff. It's a low barrier to entry as it doesn't require advanced calculus, cryptography, or any hard science that takes years to learn. The job market is super competitive. I see guys/companies putting up job postings on reddit and the position gets filled <b>20 minutes</B> later.

For example:

As far as low entry, I'd probably say web development as well. Most companies need those people for their products and maintenance of their company website.

As far as earning, i'd go with Data. A lot of those positions pay dumb high but the barrier of entry is pretty gated. It's not something you can run into without a degree.

As far as specific software and technologies, CAD, CRM, and anything pertaining to cloud.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As far as low entry, I'd probably say web development as well. Most companies need those people for their products and maintenance of their company website.

As far as earning, i'd go with Data. A lot of those positions pay dumb high but the barrier of entry is pretty gated. It's not something you can run into without a degree.

As far as specific software and technologies, CAD, CRM, and anything pertaining to cloud.

There's also:

Demand for Blockchain Job Skills Up 6,000% in First Quarter of 2018
Demand for Blockchain Job Skills Up 6,000% in First Quarter of 2018 | The Daily Hodl

Blockchain moves into top spot for hottest job skills
Blockchain growth makes developers a hot commodity

The Demand For Blockchain Engineers Is Skyrocketing, But Blockchain Itself Is Redefining How They're Employed
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sherma...-redefining-how-theyre-employed/#2611d86f6715

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm not sure what the best skill to learn for potential employment. The thing is mad people know javascript and/or web development stuff. It's a low barrier to entry as it doesn't require advanced calculus, cryptography, or any hard science that takes years to learn. The job market is super competitive. I see guys/companies putting up job postings on reddit and the position gets filled 20 minutes later.

For example:

A lot of people know a little javascript, html, css, but web development is NOT easy. They don't know rxjs, redux, webpack, unit testing, asynchronous programming, responsive design, css animations, angular, or react, etc in depth. Full stack web development will take you I would say 5 years to get any real kind of mastery.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Anyone have any network programming materials on hand? Preferably .NET related? I'm thinking I'll need to create a server for this game I'm messing around with and I'm trying to wrap my mind around sending and receiving data. On top of that, when I receive data how to go about processing it. I actually think I have a PDF somewhere but I'm just too lazy to go looking for it right now.

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
From this
@Data-Hawk thanks again for that book, for the 1st time in all my attempts it has kept my interest lol, I've been going hard everyday since.

Making cool progress and the code is starting to make logical sense to me now lol, to think I almost wrote learning to code as something I couldn't do:wow:

To The point I am actually starting my 1st dev job in a few weeks guys. :wow:

The come up has been real

Last edited:

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
Probably a few days away from completing my first fullstack/semi-full stack project incorporating Node, React, and remote API. Learned a shyt ton the past few weeks I've been working on it. Hit a lot of road bumps, some of them took days for me to get over... still some road bumps left but I feel I'm approaching the finish line