Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
I think the problem is many people here pursue coding because they believe it to be a lucrative career with a low barrier of entry (coding bootcamps is easier/cheaper than a full college program). There's no genuine passion for it so they're very less likely to code outside of work/work-related stuff. At least that's the impression I get.

I feel you. The chance of you getting a programming job when you don't code outside of stuff you are forced to do is slim to none.

I got a CS degree and been working in the industry for two years. If only 2 or 3 people want to contribute to an open source project that's cool with me as long as I get an excuse to regularly make some commits to GitHub .

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I feel you. The chance of you getting a programming job when you don't code outside of stuff you are forced to do is slim to none.

I got a CS degree and been working in the industry for two years. If only 2 or 3 people want to contribute to an open source project that's cool with me as long as I get an excuse to regularly make some commits to GitHub .
I don't mind pitching in periodically when people decide what they want to do. I won't be contributing from my actual GitHub though.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have no idea for a project. Anything is better than nothing. I assume something to deal with JavaScript since everyone seems to be trying to do FrontEnd in this thread.
Breh, just youtube a javascript and follow along, and maybe you'll get idea on a project, and if you dont you can work on that.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I just want to say, I cannot stand brittle legacy code. :pacspit:

Literally change one thing and the whole shyt falls apart. Right now one of the low-level language programmers has not fixed a bug and this whole time the team has coded around it smfh.

How many brehs out there have had jobs that had to work with a big legacy codebase vs starting with something relatively new?

Last edited:

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
How easy was it for yall to learn Python? This literally the last step in my personal self development. I want to Master Python in two months. I remember hating it programming back in college. But now I am motivated to learn Python 3. I got 5 courses on Udemy I am going to go through. So far so good. It makes more sense now then it did back then lol but I am more mature now.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I picked up enough to write a small automation script for my team after about 1 or 2 weeks. But I was googling everything. I couldn't go do an interview with Python as my preferred language.

Daps
How easy was it for yall to learn Python? This literally the last step in my personal self development. I want to Master Python in two months. I remember hating it programming back in college. But now I am motivated to learn Python 3. I got 5 courses on Udemy I am going to go through. So far so good. It makes more sense now then it did back then lol but I am more mature now.
:mjlol:

It will take years to master a programming language. You not only need to know the language, but programming concepts, design patterns, and much more. I do not suggest you rely on video courses, they give you an introduction, "the big picture"; but they don't and cannot cover all the tiny details that are needed for you to get a real understanding on how the language works.

Get a book called automate the boring stuff with python and after that read python documentation, blogs, reddit and ask questions on StackOverflow.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I want to know what are some things you can do with programming/coding? Because my goal is to learn to code.
This has been my favorite question to answer since I started programming. It's a completely understandable question as well. When asked, I always answer the same way: your imagination is the limit.

As cliche as that sounds, it's the truth. Would you like to connect billions of people all over the world through one common interface? You can write a program for that. Would you like to operate a drone using your brain? You can write a program for that. Would you like to create a community where anyone can offer advice, content, or literally any other service to others for $5 a pop? You can write a program for that.

You always hear that necessity breeds innovation. But imagination does as well. What people don't mention is that a good imagination is priceless. It is also something that too many people decide they don't need anymore. Don't lose it.
https://www.quora.com/What-can-you-do-with-coding

Taharqa

Superstar
Daps
Internship will end in about a month. I thoroughly enjoy my time here:mjlit:

I learned a lot more about c++ and see the importance of it :wow:

Time to brush up on my java. letsss git ittttt:mjlit:

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
I want to Master Python in two months.

giphy.gif

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Anyone know of a free DB hosting solution? I would use Firebase but the API won't work for me without a bunch of unnecessary troubleshooting. If not then I might just figure out how to make it happen with this Raspberry Pi :patrice:. Actually I already have Docker up and running on it so I could pull down a MySQL image and get to work. The bigger obstacle would be figuring out how to get access to it from outside of my network.

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
Anyone know of a free DB hosting solution? I would use Firebase but the API won't work for me without a bunch of unnecessary troubleshooting. If not then I might just figure out how to make it happen with this Raspberry Pi :patrice:. Actually I already have Docker up and running on it so I could pull down a MySQL image and get to work. The bigger obstacle would be figuring out how to get access to it from outside of my network.

The reason Google bought Firebase is because it's simple.

Just buy a cloud solution like Digital Ocean for 5 dollars a month and set up a MySQL :yeshrug:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
The reason Google bought Firebase is because it's simple.

Just buy a cloud solution like Digital Ocean for 5 dollars a month and set up a MySQL :yeshrug:
I've used it before, it just won't work cleanly in this situation. I wanted a No-SQL database because I didn't want to think too hard about a schema but trying to take the easy way out didn't get me far. I ended up spinning up a Docker container on my pi, I'll just have to relearn how to integrate it using .NET.