Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I'm going through an old open source project I forked years ago. It's way too complex for its own good and a poster child for tight coupling. I'm struggling just to pare it down to its core functionality just so I can successfully build it. And then the more I think about it the more I'm like :francis: what's the point?

Upon further reflection, fukk this entirely. Dude has related components spread across unrelated namespaces. Try to take out bullshyt and come to find out it's embedded in nearly every class. I appreciate the work dude did but shyt...

Last edited:

8====D

¡Vamos Spurs Vamos!
Daps
Reppin
210 | 334
Okay brehs and brehettes. I'm new to this thread. I'm wanting to pursue a career in Computer Developing/Programming. I'm enrolled back in school and will be starting this Fall Semester. Can anyone give me some tips, career choice info., studying tips, etcetera. My goal is to get my Computer Program AAS degree in two years or less and then pursue my Bachelor's degree afterwards.

What degrees or certs are best?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. (I'll rep).

Last edited:

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
Okay brehs and brehettes. I'm new to this thread. I'm wanting to pursue a career in Computer Developing/Programming. I'm enrolled back in school and will be starting this Fall Semester. Can anyone give me some tips, career choice info., studying tips, etcetera. My goal is to get my Computer Program AAS degree in two years or less and then pursue my Bachelor's degree afterwards.

u dont need certs if you want to be a developer

to keep it short figure out what u want to focus on web dev, mobile, computer software, game dev etc. then pick a language that is used for that focus IE. for android development learn Java, web dev start with Javascript, etc.

last work on projects on the side and build your portfolio

also join our discord
Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
If Ruby is a general purpose language, made to make programming easier and increase productivity. Why is Chef the only popular software made with it? Why have no popular app(s) or non work related software made with it?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
If Ruby is a general purpose language, made to make programming easier and increase productivity. Why is Chef the only popular software made with it? Why have no popular app(s) or non work related software made with it?
Ruby is slow

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps

I'd start now learning C if I was you.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
u dont need certs if you want to be a developer

to keep it short figure out what u want to focus on web dev, mobile, computer software, game dev etc. then pick a language that is used for that focus IE. for android development learn Java, web dev start with Javascript, etc.

last work on projects on the side and build your portfolio

also join our discord
Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers
I can't seem to join the damn thing :patrice:

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
@8====D C is a programming language. It'll open a can of worms, for those cases a census is ideal.

This video is trash but a lot of the comments give good insight in why you should learn C. So please spend time reading them. (Feel welcome to read the comments going against it too) Please take advantage that you have the time now to learn C.

Last edited:

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
@8====D C is a programming language. It'll open a can of worms, for those cases a census is ideal.

This video is trash but a lot of the comments give good insight in why you should learn C. So please spend time reading them. (Feel welcome to read the comments going against it too) Please take advantage that you have the time now to learn C.

Bad advice. C is a terrible first language for programming.

Either learn JavaScript, Java or Python

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
@8====D

DJSmooth isn't wrong, but if you plan to learn through an academic curriculum. You're going to most likely have to fukk with it anyways. Don't think anything is hard, patience is a virtue breh. Everyone is wired differently. Not everybody is drawn to computer science, all my friends rather go the medical or business route. Yes we can make bank through computer science but shyt still ain't for everybody. C could be fun for you, you might be patient, etc. Idk how you're wired. I say take a dabble atleast
Introduction to Programming - YouTube
After all that you can continue or go to Java and eventually revisit it later.
Regardless you need to develop discipline for computer science. If not, UPS is hiring breh.

8====D

¡Vamos Spurs Vamos!
Daps
Reppin
210 | 334
@8====D

DJSmooth isn't wrong, but if you plan to learn through an academic curriculum. You're going to most likely have to fukk with it anyways. Don't think anything is hard, patience is a virtue breh. Everyone is wired differently. Not everybody is drawn to computer science, all my friends rather go the medical or business route. Yes we can make bank through computer science but shyt still ain't for everybody. C could be fun for you, you might be patient, etc. Idk how you're wired. I say take a dabble atleast
Regardless you need to develop discipline for computer science. If not, UPS is hiring breh.

Appreciate all the help (besides the corny UPS jab). I'll look into those videos and do some research.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
@8====D

he could also try that free harvard course
CS50's Introduction to Computer Science

i think it introduces C, Python and a few other languages