Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Wow....lol. There's too many things to list. Literally every industry in the modern world relies on computer systems. Someone needs to write the software.

A
Cool. So, I could freelance with this shyt too? Imma take my A+ late this year and my Net+ and Sec+ next year.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Cool. So, I could freelance with this shyt too? Imma take my A+ late this year and my Net+ and Sec+ next year.

Are you trying to be a programmer or more into the IT/networking thing?
If it's the former, don't waste your time with those certs and focus on your portfolio of sites. If it's the latter, then sure, focus on those certs.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Been focusing solely on JavaScript lately. I have the basics like loops, ifs, etc and Objects down now. About to move on to frameworks should I focus on mastering one or try to get exposure to different ones. Also what's your pick Angular vs React and does anyone still use jQuery

Last edited:

Paradoxical Tiger

Head Youngin of CatSet
Daps
Are you trying to be a programmer or more into the IT/networking thing?
If it's the former, don't waste your time with those certs and focus on your portfolio of sites. If it's the latter, then sure, focus on those certs.
Wait so you can ACTUALLY freelance via coding?

I know java, javascript, HTML, and CSS.

How do I go about freelancing? How much could i make?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Been focusing solely on JavaScript lately. I have the basics like loops, ifs, etc and Objects down now. About to move on to frameworks should I focus on mastering one or try to get exposure to different ones. Also what's your pick Angular vs React and does anyone still use jQuery

I mean you can learn jQuery just to understand legacy projects, but it's pretty much deprecated. Companies are trying to get away from using it.

In terms of Angular vs React, try both and see which one vibes with you. They both can get you jobs. I personally prefer Angular, even though I'm deep diving in react for a job now.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Wait so you can ACTUALLY freelance via coding?

I know java, javascript, HTML, and CSS.

How do I go about freelancing? How much could i make?

You can freelance, but I don't really recommend it starting off. Dealing with clients who may or may not know what they want is annoying and you will have to deal with the whole issue of negotiating payments, making sure they pay you on time and all of that. Maybe once you have a few years in the industry can you focus on really making a move towards freelancing.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA

im just now starting to learn React ... its dope so far

Daps
You can freelance, but I don't really recommend it starting off. Dealing with clients who may or may not know what they want is annoying and you will have to deal with the whole issue of negotiating payments, making sure they pay you on time and all of that. Maybe once you have a few years in the industry can you focus on really making a move towards freelancing.
He's most likely going to get comfortable with the security. When you finally dive into freelance full time, it is terrifying. But, going from a poor college student to a poor freelancer is a much easier transition then giving up a 6 figure salary to make websites.

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
Wow....lol. There's too many things to list. Literally every industry in the modern world relies on computer systems. Someone needs to write the software.

Any ideas for a project? I've actually tried this before but no one could agree on a programming language and a project.

I have no idea for a project. Anything is better than nothing. I assume something to deal with JavaScript since everyone seems to be trying to do FrontEnd in this thread.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have no idea for a project. Anything is better than nothing. I assume something to deal with JavaScript since everyone seems to be trying to do FrontEnd in this thread.

I think the problem is many people here pursue coding because they believe it to be a lucrative career with a low barrier of entry (coding boot camps are easier/cheaper than a full college program). There's no genuine passion for it so they're very less likely to code outside of work/work-related stuff. At least that's the impression I get.

Last edited: