Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I'd like to hear about the day to day of being a developer. How is the actual job do your superiors come to you like we need feature X done in Y weeks and just leave you to work?
It varies from team to team, org to org. My experience is atypical since the scope of the project is large and I take on work from several teams that work on it. Budget determines what features are worked on and when. The orders will come from up above saying we want X feature. The system engineers and architects will (usually) analyze and come up with some design. Those get put into user story format and leading up to a new development cycle there will be user story reviews. My calendar will generally be packed with meetings for 3-5 hours per day, 4 days a week, for several weeks. Not all meetings I need to be at but sometimes it's good to see how people with experience operate in those meetings. Once story points are recorded and the cycle starts you work on your stuff.

During the cycle there's status meetings multiple times per week. There's also some miscellaneous meetings here and there. Between meetings and programming I'm usually fixing issues with my development environment because dependencies changed and this breaks my builds. Sometimes I get handed a higher priority task that draws my attention away for a few hours. But like I said, my experience is atypical. I have to have my hands in a lot of parts of the project just by the nature of my role and the team. We don't practice agile correctly so that leaves us wider development iterations, but also the tasks are generally more complex.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'd like to hear about the day to day of being a developer. How is the actual job do your superiors come to you like we need feature X done in Y weeks and just leave you to work?

Like Obreh said, it differs from organization to organization, but they will typically use some agile approach.

There are user stories that are put on cards. You pick one of those user stories and put your name on it and you move it down board the closer it gets to completion.
Like the board will have categories like
in progress, dev completed, in testing, completed

The cards with your name on it are usually expected to be completed in 2 to 4 weeks depending on how long the organization wants their sprint.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Besides the languages (HTML, CSS, etc) and Photoshop what else do you need for making websites? I know hobohost but is that even good/relevant?

Trustus

Black like the planet that they fear
Supporter
Daps
I'm considering doing some
livestreams or something and teach a few things about front end development. Just wondering if anyone was interested.
I would luv this, along with a podcast.
I've been on my podcast kick lately and I can't find any with black people talking about being in tech, coders, web development, i.t..
I feel this would go a long way to help us navigate learning something new or what avenues to take in your career.
I like listening to the syntax podcast good info I just wish it was some black folks doing this also.
If it is please point me to them.