Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
thanks i too advanced for codecademy never used pluralsight but im guessing its for beginners as well? like i said i've actually studied programming and its fundamentals in college i just havent touched it for a long time and need to get back into it

Pluralsight covers beginners to advanced. I'd also recommend Udemy.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pluralsight covers beginners to advanced. I'd also recommend Udemy.
thanks i think i will just go through Learn Python the Hard Way first as it\s been such a long time i did any programming just to get back into it. Anyone here have a mentor or anyone guiding them through their professional career? this being my last summer before i graduate next year i really want to make sure i make the most out of it

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
thanks i think i will just go through Learn Python the Hard Way first as it\s been such a long time i did any programming just to get back into it. Anyone here have a mentor or anyone guiding them through their professional career? this being my last summer before i graduate next year i really want to make sure i make the most out of it

I don't have a mentor, but at my first job as a developer I had a mentor of sorts who I worked alongside for the first 3 months, I know that's not typical but I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

MollyGalaga

+*++****+*+*+*=*++*.*+
Daps
Reppin
HTX
Most companies seem to want python.

c++ seems to be going the way of the dinosaur unfortunately
python???

the courses I take are being heavily focused on java
but if they do that then I can do python no problem

MollyGalaga

+*++****+*+*+*=*++*.*+
Daps
Reppin
HTX
@Matt504 504 area code :ohhh:

Are you still in Louisiana or have you moved out?

My biggest concern rn is finding a way to get experience so I wanted to ask how did you go about gaining experience?

Swear nobody wants to hire a sophomore-junior in college

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

My biggest concern rn is finding a way to get experience so I wanted to ask how did you go about gaining experience?

create your own projects and up load them. If you show that you can make projects with the desired technology, then some company will take a chance on you sooner or later.

MollyGalaga

+*++****+*+*+*=*++*.*+
Daps
Reppin
HTX
create your own projects and up load them. If you show that you can make projects with the desired technology, then some company will take a chance on you sooner or later.
easier said than done but this is a good idea.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Take your portfolio seriously. It doesn't matter if it's a trivial program. If you're just starting off you want to be able to show potential employers that you can use the language comfortably. When you're asked you'll be able to point to something tangible and you'll have talking points.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps

I've been living in Houston since 2005. most of my real world experience was literally on the job this is why I suggest that people attend meetups because at the meetups you can demonstrate your knowledge to people who are already employed and who can possibly bring you into their companies. Having a solid Github repo doesn't hurt either.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

You're going to have to learn these technologies eventually and most companies don't want to train you, so they will pretty much let you come in, give you a couple of weeks to learn a technology and then get to running. Buy a course on udemy that utilizes the technology you want to work with, take the project that you are working on in that course and tweak it slightly to make it unique.

It's not easy getting into the industry. You're going to have to grind it out, but once you do, then the door is wide open for opportunities.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
@kevm3

Are you a front end developer? I'm not sure if you answered that or not. jumped into a little html/html5 and css and this is way easier to pick up than python. maybe studying python helped but i'm enjoying this more. just looking for study materials and a little guidance.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
@kevm3

Are you a front end developer? I'm not sure if you answered that or not. jumped into a little html/html5 and css and this is way easier to pick up than python. maybe studying python helped but i'm enjoying this more. just looking for study materials and a little guidance.

Full stack, meaning front end and back end, but for work, I'm focusing on front-end.

Web development is much more interesting initially since you get to see the output of your actions immediately. You will have to pick up Javascript and a framework like react or angular to be employable, but just take it one step at a time. I'm thinking of creating some programming tutorials/ just speaking on the industry in general. What do you guys want to hear about?

If you're really interested in getting into the industry I can point you to some solid courses.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Full stack, meaning front end and back end, but for work, I'm focusing on front-end.

Web development is much more interesting initially since you get to see the output of your actions immediately. You will have to pick up Javascript and a framework like react or angular to be employable, but just take it one step at a time. I'm thinking of creating some programming tutorials/ just speaking on the industry in general. What do you guys want to hear about?

If you're really interested in getting into the industry I can point you to some solid courses.
I'd like to hear about the day to day of being a developer. How is the actual job do your superiors come to you like we need feature X done in Y weeks and just leave you to work?

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps

i would appreciate that. i'm looking on udemy but haven't bought anything yet. any books you suggest as well.