Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I do 20ish apps for week on Indeed, Glassdoor, Dice, LinkedIn.
You may want to increase that number. I'm not the typical person, but I was doing 10+ per day for a while and still not seeing much interest. If your current way is getting you interviews then that's great, but if it's not consider changing it up. Also try applying earlier in the morning and catching the postings when they first hit - be one of the first names in the pile. Increase your scope to companies that aren't traditionally seen as tech. Walmart, for example had tons of developer jobs last time I checked.

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The shortcut to finding a job in tech is to be a part of a network. People in tech tend to hire people they know or have a passing familiarity with.

Join a meetup and meetup regularly, most of the people you will meet are already gainfully employed and will be able to refer you before job openings are listed on job sites.

https://www.meetup.com/find/tech/

the meetups I go to regularly have people looking to hire, I went with a classmate from bootcamp and she got a job offer off the bat (we are jnr dev levels). If you looking for work, they are good to frequent

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
the meetups I go to regularly have people looking to hire, I went with a classmate from bootcamp and she got a job offer off the bat (we are jnr dev levels). If you looking for work, they are good to frequent

People who are already employed know about job openings before they hit the job sites. Having a good network often beats whatever skills you posses, whenever you find skilled people who are unemployed they usually aren't a part of any networks.

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
For most part, I'm doing SE. I'm still going after some consulting/jr web dev jobs and I know my shyt.

The issue with them begins at college, most folks drop by year 2 when data structures and adv math gets introduced. By the end of of college, the amount of students is usually down by 40. So you got few people off the bat going for these jobs where degrees are required. That and the unwillingness to invest in the future of their field. They want experienced workers and if they can pay them less, they will. I've been looking since Jan, and kinda thinking I should go something outside my field.:beli:

January :picard:

What kind of degree you got if you got something close to IT I can plug you with a consulting company, it's gonna be a pretty rough ride though.

If not you might want to look into joining a bootcamp real talk.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
January :picard:

What kind of degree you got if you got something close to IT I can plug you with a consulting company, it's gonna be a pretty rough ride though.

If not you might want to look into joining a bootcamp real talk.

I got a CS degree. If I had the funds, I would of went to one to expand stuff I do know.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
The shortcut to finding a job in tech is to be a part of a network. People in tech tend to hire people they know or have a passing familiarity with.

Join a meetup and meetup regularly, most of the people you will meet are already gainfully employed and will be able to refer you before job openings are listed on job sites.

Tech Meetups - Meetup
This is exactly how I got involved and transitioned from banking to web dev.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
:ohhh: I don't know if you ever followed up on this bro but I've been been watching these and they are awesome, I definitely recommend it. Granted Processing is built on Java and I already know Java so the learning curve was easy for me. I think it would be much better learning to code by actually seeing visual stuff like shapes being draw on the screen,motion, animations,changing colors, etc vs the way I was taught the last two semesters just printing stuff to the console.
I think I'll just do this and some HTML and CSS. Having shyt return to you in a console window or terminal box below your code is fukking boring as far as learning goes.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I'm getting calls back so we'll see. :ehh:

On a side note, where are all the (Entry) Software Engineer (C/C++) jobs at? All these companies want Java/C#.

MewTwo

Freeing Pokemon From Their Masters Since 1996
Daps
Reppin
Cerulean Cave
I'm getting calls back so we'll see. :ehh:

On a side note, where are all the (Entry) Software Engineer (C/C++) jobs at? All these companies want Java/C#.

Most companies seem to want python.

c++ seems to be going the way of the dinosaur unfortunately

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
anyone who is a python developer here? i will be starting my last final year in september of my MIS degree and havent dont any real programming since year 2, python is the language i have the most experince with does anyone have any good tutorials ro websites i can use to relearn django/python only familiar with 2.7 but want to make the move python 3. want to make the most use of this summer as dev is a possible route i can take when i graduate next summer

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
anyone who is a python developer here? i will be starting my last final year in september of my MIS degree and havent dont any real programming since year 2, python is the language i have the most experince with does anyone have any good tutorials ro websites i can use to relearn django/python only familiar with 2.7 but want to make the move python 3. want to make the most use of this summer as dev is a possible route i can take when i graduate next summer

| Codecademy
Sign In - Pluralsight