Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
think im going to run through colt steeles web dev part 2 for the next 2 weeks want to get my front end game up

Fallacy

Replace the last name with an X
Daps
Just stumbled into this thread researching what to go back to school for. My local community college offers a 20 month course for an AS in web dev. Y'all think that would be good enough to land me a job? Whats the basic path to take to in this field for landing that 6 figure or close to career? Could y'all fast track me?

Also I got no computer experience outside of the basic stuff everyone knows. How steep is the learning curve for web dev? I'm thinking of doing the udemy course before I go back to school to gauge the difficulty. Is that udemy course any good?

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just stumbled into this thread researching what to go back to school for. My local community college offers a 20 month course for an AS in web dev. Y'all think that would be good enough to land me a job? Whats the basic path to take to in this field for landing that 6 figure or close to career? Could y'all fast track me?

Also I got no computer experience outside of the basic stuff everyone knows. How steep is the learning curve for web dev? I'm thinking of doing the udemy course before I go back to school to gauge the difficulty. Is that udemy course any good?

Breh, have you checked the It Certs and Career thread?6 Figures 6 Certs
That might be the fastest way to earn 6 figure.
For programming like web development, I would go the route you suggested and digest it from udemy or youtube(free) and see it is for you. I think there is lot of online resources that you shouldnt need to get the AS.. There are plenty posters in thread that making good money and doing without having as or aa in programming.
Web development isn't that hard to get the basics, I used Learn to code with free online courses, programming projects, and interview preparation for developer jobs. to get my html, css, and javascript down.
Do a search for web developer position in your area, and see what they are looking for in experience and the web languages used, and use that as base of should working on.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana

In the research I’ve done the barrier to entry as far as education goes seems to be a Bachelors in Computer Science preferably then Engineering, Mathematics, Technology, etc atleast according to job postings I see on LinkedIn/Monster/Indeed.

The program may still be useful if it’s free or doesn’t cost much as it would give you direction as to what you need to learn and you most likely build projects for a portfolio to show potential employers and the school may have some time of connections like those coding bootcamps.

Personally As a current CompSci student it’s only so much you can learn in ~3hours Of weekly lectures though most of the stuff is learned outside the classroom on your own time and through homework so it’s definitely possible to become competent through self study via YouTube , Udemy , Coursera, etc

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
See if you can finish a course on udemy first. You have to see if programming is for you. You can make a lot of money quick, but don't get in if you hate it because you will have to spend a lot of time outside work studying.

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
For the folks a few pages ago who were talking about having difficulty finding a position -- what area of development are you in? Assuming you have solid qualifications (skills and education), what do you think is leading to the difficulty (besides possible racism)? The major talking point about coding in general is that "there aren't enough programmers to fill the job openings" -- is that increasingly untrue in the field nowadays?

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
Wishing positivity to all my fellow coli Brehs on this Programming grind . Got my daily routine down for the summer trying to spend atleast 3 hours everyday coding/learning coding. One on data structures in Java, One on JavaScript, and one doing problem solving on HackerRank. HackerRank really helped with my confidence being able to think through the problem and solving it as opposed to trying to remember syntax like I was doing in class . Feeling great right now also have the first project for my portfolio in mind. Taking classes the next two semesters on Algorithms/Object Oriented Programming/More on Data structures And along with my own self study I feel I should be able to get some type of internship/job next summer

Good shyt breh keep on that HackerRank. I went into an interview before and two of my white board problems were from there. I cracked a smile in the interview because I knew what to do.

Start working on your portfolio project now. Like ASAP like yesterday. If you got links to Completed Projects on your resume you will at least get some phone calls.

Also check out Udacity, follow along some of their courses to get some portfolio work.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
For the folks a few pages ago who were talking about having difficulty finding a position -- what area of development are you in? Assuming you have solid qualifications (skills and education), what do you think is leading to the difficulty (besides possible racism)? The major talking point about coding in general is that "there aren't enough programmers to fill the job openings" -- is that increasingly untrue in the field nowadays?
They want senior developers. They don't want to train new guys. It's very hard to get in initially, but when you have at least two years of experience, it's a completely different ballgame.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
They want senior developers. They don't want to train new guys. It's very hard to get in initially, but when you have at least two years of experience, it's a completely different ballgame.

Senior developers can be a double edged sword because many seniors are resistant to moving towards newer technologies in favor of sticking to what's tried and true. I'm at a company now where I'm trying to move projects towards ReactJs and there has been resistance which is frustrating because I dislike jquery and I need a more reliable way to manage state.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I've always felt that line was complete bullshyt. Companies don't know what they want and have unrealistic expectations. For instance, how are you going to ask for 2-3 years of experience in several technologies in a college grad position targeted towards people with their bachelor's? shyt don't make sense. Employers need to be more willing to bring less experienced people onto their teams and train them up. My current team spent about a month getting me up to speed and now I have a deeper understanding of the application than most of the other developers and they have 10+ years of experience on it.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

For most part, I'm doing SE. I'm still going after some consulting/jr web dev jobs and I know my shyt.

The issue with them begins at college, most folks drop by year 2 when data structures and adv math gets introduced. By the end of of college, the amount of students is usually down by 40. So you got few people off the bat going for these jobs where degrees are required. That and the unwillingness to invest in the future of their field. They want experienced workers and if they can pay them less, they will. I've been looking since Jan, and kinda thinking I should go something outside my field.:beli:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
The shortcut to finding a job in tech is to be a part of a network. People in tech tend to hire people they know or have a passing familiarity with.

Join a meetup and meetup regularly, most of the people you will meet are already gainfully employed and will be able to refer you before job openings are listed on job sites.

https://www.meetup.com/find/tech/