Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
Let me tell you from experience - don't sell yourself the dream before they extend an offer. I mentally planned out my life after I interviewed with a company I just knew was going to hire me. The following week I got rejected and it really messed my head up for a month or two.

true im just going to keep shooting my shot and keep learning no matter what.... my time is inevitable

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
true im just going to keep shooting my shot and keep learning no matter what.... my time is inevitable

Right, if you love coding you will fall in with a company. I had to put in like 40 + apps my first time around and a ton my second time around. Once I hit that two year mark and put senior on my resume, recruiters are flooding me now. Keep grinding till you get in and never trip off one company turning you down. Keep on applying nonstop till you bust down the doors.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Read this

51F6Lwyq5JL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
my brother got an internship at google this summer with this book. i dropped him off in san francisco this past weekend.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Wishing positivity to all my fellow coli Brehs on this Programming grind . Got my daily routine down for the summer trying to spend atleast 3 hours everyday coding/learning coding. One on data structures in Java, One on JavaScript, and one doing problem solving on HackerRank. HackerRank really helped with my confidence being able to think through the problem and solving it as opposed to trying to remember syntax like I was doing in class . Feeling great right now also have the first project for my portfolio in mind. Taking classes the next two semesters on Algorithms/Object Oriented Programming/More on Data structures And along with my own self study I feel I should be able to get some type of internship/job next summer

he_is_I

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Pittsburgh/Cincinnati
Put a lot of hours in and finally got done building my portfolio website. All I have to do now is build a few projects, add them on there and make it live. Any advice on putting my site live, I've never done it before.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Put a lot of hours in and finally got done building my portfolio website. All I have to do now is build a few projects, add them on there and make it live. Any advice on putting my site live, I've never done it before.
How did you build, like you used .net or php?

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
Wishing positivity to all my fellow coli Brehs on this Programming grind . Got my daily routine down for the summer trying to spend atleast 3 hours everyday coding/learning coding. One on data structures in Java, One on JavaScript, and one doing problem solving on HackerRank. HackerRank really helped with my confidence being able to think through the problem and solving it as opposed to trying to remember syntax like I was doing in class . Feeling great right now also have the first project for my portfolio in mind. Taking classes the next two semesters on Algorithms/Object Oriented Programming/More on Data structures And along with my own self study I feel I should be able to get some type of internship/job next summer

might do the same 1 hour honing Javascript 1 hour learning php and 1 hour learning data structures