Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
Just dont trip if you don't get the job. If you have skills, a lot of employers will be after you. Just go in, answer the questions to the best of your ability and remember the questions they ask so that if you don't get it, the next interview you will be more prepared.

When you speak, think on the context of coding in a team and not coding in isolation... so, when giving answers, like if they ask why did you code it like this, say something along the lines of thinking in terms of a team. "My focus when coding is creating maintainable, easy to read code because I know someone else may have to eventually maintain it or if we onboard new developers, the more organized and simple the code is, the easier it will be for them to get into the codebase."

ok cool i wont trip im just happy to get the chance really...

do you think they will give me data structure and algorithm type questions for an entry level javascript job?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
ok cool i wont trip im just happy to get the chance really...

do you think they will give me data structure and algorithm type questions for an entry level javascript job?

Most likely not, unless you are trying to get in at some big company like facebook or google. They'll probably ask you about basic javascript language questions, especially es6 and probably some framework related questions.
"What's the difference between const and let"
"What does apply and bind do?"

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
Most likely not, unless you are trying to get in at some big company like facebook or google. They'll probably ask you about basic javascript language questions, especially es6 and probably some framework related questions.

cool thanks

im studying all weekend and going thru my javascript understanding the good parts class on udemy probably going to read eloquent javascript and you dont know js... do you know of anything else i should read or watch?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I would disagree. I think he's going to get tossed one or two data structures/algorithms just with the choice of implementing them in JS. Then again I wasn't hired on my JavaScript knowledge so I don't know how they approach that.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
I would disagree. I think he's going to get tossed one or two data structures/algorithms just with the choice of implementing them in JS. Then again I wasn't hired on my JavaScript knowledge so I don't know how they approach that.

damn should i buy a udemy class to learn a little ds&a just in case?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
No just do HackerRank or similar website problems. I used Code Fights when I was job hunting. It's more important to be able to reason through a problem than to be able to regurgitate an answer though. I don't think you should burn yourself out working through that stuff like most people do.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

I've had tons of interviews for javascript jobs and none of them asked me data structures and algorithms. If he was applying to a company like facebook or google or something like amazon or netflix, then yea, he should know data structures and algorithms, but as a junior developer for most companies, they won't ask you questions based on that. They will ask you questions about the language and questions about the framework that they will actually be using.

Should he learn data structures and algorithms? Absolutely... but for a junior javascript developer, they probably won't ask him any questions on that. His time would much better be spent knowing the intricacies of javascript, css, and html and whatever framework he is going to be using at the job.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Buy a course on data structures and algorithms just for your personal skill cultivation, but if you want to get in the door as a javascript developer, make sure you know a framework like vue, angular or react.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Bro they said they liked my coding and want me to come in for a whiteboard interview :ohhh: I'm excited and nervous at the same damn time. What should I expect? How should I prepare? I need answers:sadcam:

Read this

51F6Lwyq5JL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I'm thinking ahead, and i'm trying to decide if I want to go the consulting/project managing route or the UI/UX route after I get some SE experience.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
i been preparing for this interview so much at this point if im not picked it really wasnt meant to be :whew:
a part of me thinks since its entry level they just want to see if i know some basics/ see if i can handle problem solving and see where they need to train me at

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
i been preparing for this interview so much at this point if im not picked it really wasnt meant to be :whew:
a part of me thinks since its entry level they just want to see if i know some basics/ see if i can handle problem solving and see where they need to train me at
Let me tell you from experience - don't sell yourself the dream before they extend an offer. I mentally planned out my life after I interviewed with a company I just knew was going to hire me. The following week I got rejected and it really messed my head up for a month or two.