Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I wouldn’t say node is the thing, it’s just easiest to learn.
But every company has their own stack.

Node is used a lot as a bridge language, but most corporarations use Java/c# on the backend.

Facebook uses PHP
Airbnb uses Ruby
GitHub uses Ruby
Bank of America uses Python
Bitbucket uses Python
PayPal uses Node
Netflix I think is Ruby, I don’t remember. Might be node.

You aren’t going to be the perfect fit for every company. Just depends their stack related to your skills.

I`m not a Dev so the Stack doesn't matter but I do find it beneficial to have technical skills.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I am not a web developer but have a few questions about a web service that I am thinking of putting together

I am,going to need a website that does the following ;
Website Functions requirements:
1. Able track updates from other sites showcase them on website
2. Create user accounts
3. A payment feature for users signing up
4. An input feature that allows users to put in their information and have it showcased on the site
5. An automated system that notifies users when their user account has been created
6. Search engine so users can search for key terms

I was looking for something similar to airbnb.

ImGucci

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NY
I am not a web developer but have a few questions about a web service that I am thinking of putting together

I am,going to need a website that does the following ;
Website Functions requirements:
1. Able track updates from other sites showcase them on website
2. Create user accounts
3. A payment feature for users signing up
4. An input feature that allows users to put in their information and have it showcased on the site
5. An automated system that notifies users when their user account has been created
6. Search engine so users can search for key terms

I was looking for something similar to airbnb.

You would need a backend and front end developer for that.
Or a full stack developer.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Environment issues kicking my ass again today. I spent the last couple of hours of the day trying to troubleshoot but didn't make any headway. I'm gonna have to get this fixed since I have other work that depends on this.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Good luck, I hate those tests with a passion. The algorithm questions are so unnecessary 90% of the time.
Studying up on some Algorithms in java right. Basic stuff like the sorting , Searching, shortest path, Big O notation. It was probably my weakest area on exams last semester

Last edited:

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
Bro they said they liked my coding and want me to come in for a whiteboard interview :ohhh: I'm excited and nervous at the same damn time. What should I expect? How should I prepare? I need answers:sadcam:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Bro they said they liked my coding and want me to come in for a whiteboard interview :ohhh: I'm excited and nervous at the same damn time. What should I expect? How should I prepare? I need answers:sadcam:

Just dont trip if you don't get the job. If you have skills, a lot of employers will be after you. Just go in, answer the questions to the best of your ability and remember the questions they ask so that if you don't get it, the next interview you will be more prepared.

When you speak, think on the context of coding in a team and not coding in isolation... so, when giving answers, like if they ask why did you code it like this, say something along the lines of thinking in terms of a team. "My focus when coding is creating maintainable, easy to read code because I know someone else may have to eventually maintain it or if we onboard new developers, the more organized and simple the code is, the easier it will be for them to get into the codebase."