Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
Last week of this coding bootcamp. Going to take a few weeks off to get my health back in order then its job search time.
how many weeks did it run for? I just started one a couple weeks ago and I feel like I'm learning so much more than trying to teach myself out of books/sites/etc.

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
how many weeks did it run for? I just started one a couple weeks ago and I feel like I'm learning so much more than trying to teach myself out of books/sites/etc.

3 months (4 Months w/ pre-course).. You right, we were learning things within a few days, made me rethink how I was learning previously. Nowadays Im justt gonna jump right in when learning new tech. Books, sites will just be extra curricular lol.

The best things I learnt was TDD, github readme practices, and developing a process, very important stuff!

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Whoops that's on me, I wasn't paying close attention. Learn to code first then move onto other parts of software engineering. Java and C# are pretty similar (C# is Microsoft's answer to Java) so learning one will set you up for the other. Code conventions are slightly different but if you're just picking up how to program that's not a big deal.

If you're set on C# then the first order of business is figuring out that error. Figuring out environment issues is probably 70% of the shyt me and my peers go through day to day :russ:. What's the error saying?
Theirs been new versions of .NET and VS Code. I'm downloading those. Fingers crossed breh.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Theirs been new versions of .NET and VS Code. I'm downloading those. Fingers crossed breh.
Well the thing is, just downloading the updates probably won't solve your problem because these products rarely have product breaking defects. You have an issue with what you're doing to run the code or how you have your environment set up. In all the times I've written C# I've always used Visual Studio or MonoDevelop and very rarely have I compiled outside of those IDEs. So VS Code might not have the right plugins or you're compiling and running wrong.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Well the thing is, just downloading the updates probably won't solve your problem because these products rarely have product breaking defects. You have an issue with what you're doing to run the code or how you have your environment set up. In all the times I've written C# I've always used Visual Studio or MonoDevelop and very rarely have I compiled outside of those IDEs. So VS Code might not have the right plugins or you're compiling and running wrong.
Oh ok breh. So I'm following the documentation. When I try to run code it opens up in VS instead of just in VSCode. How do I make VS code the primary editor for C# without uninstalling VS?
Edit:
Nvm figured it out via video.

Last edited:

ImGucci

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NY
Anybody here a freelancer and has tips on it? How to get clients in that etc.. Might as well see if I can make some side money while I look for a job

Its not easy getting work freelancing unless you get lucky with clients.

You can try craigslist and upwork.com. It isn't reliable though from my experience though. I got most of work when I started out from staffing agencies, they would just place me in temp work until I landed a permanent gig.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I'm been applying 3-4 months.

I've gotten some phone interviews. But they just end hiring the fool with experience than me. :yeshrug:
That's how the shyt go :franchit:. But you just gotta keep at it. Expand your search area, look at companies you may have overlooked, keep working on your skills, it'll come.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
If you want it, you have to keep going. Even after me having a year of exp I had to keep applying. Once you hit the second year mark, things turn around.

ImGucci

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NY
Gonna do a web dev bootcamp on Udemy to sharpen my skills. I used PHP for my last project but as I understand it Node JS is the "in thing" when it comes to back end

I wouldn’t say node is the thing, it’s just easiest to learn.
But every company has their own stack.

Node is used a lot as a bridge language, but most corporarations use Java/c# on the backend.

Facebook uses PHP
Airbnb uses Ruby
GitHub uses Ruby
Bank of America uses Python
Bitbucket uses Python
PayPal uses Node
Netflix uses Node/Python

You aren’t going to be the perfect fit for every company. Just depends their stack related to your skills.