Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Learn unit testing, as it's pretty much a must for most jobs nowadays. Unit testing is essentially going through and isolating your functions from external dependencies and testing that they are doing what you want them to do. The art of unit testing with examples in C# by roy osherove is a nice read if you want to learn about it

www.amazon.com/Art-Unit-Testing-examples/dp/1617290890/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523240970&sr=8-1&keywords=art+of+unit+testing
I've dabbled in C# but Visual Studio is so slow and I can't afford to upgrade my laptop or buy a better spec'd out one. Should I just bother with Python instead?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I've dabbled in C# but Visual Studio is so slow and I can't afford to upgrade my laptop or buy a better spec'd out one. Should I just bother with Python instead?
Get in with Java and JUnit testing. Syntax will be more or less the same and you could download maven + a more heavy duty text editor like VS Code and not have to sacrifice as much. Maven is good to learn if you get into Java. I'm frequently dealing with it at work.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Try using visual studio code instead... it's much more lightweight

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Try using visual studio code instead... it's much more lightweight
I have tried it. For some weird reason it doesn't work. I can't run my C# code and yes I downloaded the extensions. Just gives me an error talking about json. I've reinstalled it and dot net. I'll try again soon though. Thanks.
Get in with Java and JUnit testing. Syntax will be more or less the same and you could download maven + a more heavy duty text editor like VS Code and not have to sacrifice as much. Maven is good to learn if you get into Java. I'm frequently dealing with it at work.
Well I was just talking about coding not unit testing. I know brehs said it's in demand and you're recommending it. Should I learn it now or get comfortable with Java first. Also thank you very much.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I have tried it. For some weird reason it doesn't work. I can't run my C# code and yes I downloaded the extensions. Just gives me an error talking about json. I've reinstalled it and dot net. I'll try again soon though. Thanks.

Well I was just talking about coding not unit testing. I know brehs said it's in demand and you're recommending it. Should I learn it now or get comfortable with Java first. Also thank you very much.
Whoops that's on me, I wasn't paying close attention. Learn to code first then move onto other parts of software engineering. Java and C# are pretty similar (C# is Microsoft's answer to Java) so learning one will set you up for the other. Code conventions are slightly different but if you're just picking up how to program that's not a big deal.

If you're set on C# then the first order of business is figuring out that error. Figuring out environment issues is probably 70% of the shyt me and my peers go through day to day :russ:. What's the error saying?

Grizzly

Home Run Hitter
Daps
Reppin
Bigupyuself
im on a Mac....what is a good language to learn right now? is Python still popular? been putting this shyt off for too long

RoGethoes

Banned
Daps
Been taking courses and reading up on JavaScript for the past few months and this month I've started building something of my own from scratch.

I'm struggling :mjcry: gotta get good at breaking things up procedurally and figuring things out piece by piece.

Takes practice .Try watching and reading code from more experienced devs,that's what helped me a lot.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
im on a Mac....what is a good language to learn right now? is Python still popular? been putting this shyt off for too long

Depends on your local job market and what you want to do really... javascript is king of the web tho g I'd start there