Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
having trouble in the entry level job market finding anything related to software development. I graduated in Business Admin but have been teaching myself languages for some years now so I'm not exactly clueless out here. however I feel like a lot of the jobs/recruiters disqualify me from the start because they specify they want a CS degree.

basically would it be a bad idea to put on my profiles/resume that I graduated with a CS degree just to avoid that hurdle, to get my foot in the door, or could that be more trouble than it's worth?

I have an accounting degree, not cs. You are going to have to have tons of projects on your github and have to apply to tons of companies

ImGucci

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NY
having trouble in the entry level job market finding anything related to software development. I graduated in Business Admin but have been teaching myself languages for some years now so I'm not exactly clueless out here. however I feel like a lot of the jobs/recruiters disqualify me from the start because they specify they want a CS degree.

basically would it be a bad idea to put on my profiles/resume that I graduated with a CS degree just to avoid that hurdle, to get my foot in the door, or could that be more trouble than it's worth?

Its hard to get any full time job in web development unless you start at the bottom first freelancing at gigs here and there.
If you have 0 software development experience, you are going to have to start at the bottom and work your way up.

I started out resizing images for developers when I first came out of school, and I have a CS degree.

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
Yeah don't do that because if/when you do the background check that'll be your ass. Put down projects you've completed, make sure you're using the right keywords, keep plugging away at it.
makes sense, I just figured what else do I have to lose since I haven't been having luck anyway. but I don't wanna jam myself up later....

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
How many projects do you recommend on a portfolio im going to spend the rest of this week getting all of that together

2 or 3 should be fine, but make sure your main site is on point because that's pretty much what is going to speak for you when you don't have any experience on your resume.

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
2 or 3 should be fine, but make sure your main site is on point because that's pretty much what is going to speak for you when you don't have any experience on your resume.

I thought you had to have like 10 - 20 on there

2 - 3 aint that bad

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I thought you had to have like 10 - 20 on there

2 - 3 aint that bad
Quality over quantity. I've seen profiles with 20-30 repositories but most of them were forks with no changes made. You should aim for solid projects that you can give an elevator pitch about to lead the conversation in the direction you want it to go.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Here's a github repository with like 1,000 books on everything you could want. Check it out.

EbookFoundation/free-programming-books
Props for posting this breh .Just finished my semester and I’m grinding all summer. Plan to be competent in HTML/CSS/JavaScript by the beginning of next school year. Just hope I dont forget my Java knowledge lol

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Props for posting this breh .Just finished my semester and I’m grinding all summer. Plan to be competent in HTML/CSS/JavaScript by the beginning of next school year. Just hope I dont forget my Java knowledge lol

You won't. Use typescript since you can easily carry over a lot of the java knowledge over.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
What y'all think of Creative Coding?
Skip to 12:45 on the first video

:ohhh: I don't know if you ever followed up on this bro but I've been been watching these and they are awesome, I definitely recommend it. Granted Processing is built on Java and I already know Java so the learning curve was easy for me. I think it would be much better learning to code by actually seeing visual stuff like shapes being draw on the screen,motion, animations,changing colors, etc vs the way I was taught the last two semesters just printing stuff to the console.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
:ohhh: I don't know if you ever followed up on this bro but I've been been watching these and they are awesome, I definitely recommend it. Granted Processing is built on Java and I already know Java so the learning curve was easy for me. I think it would be much better learning to code by actually seeing visual stuff like shapes being draw on the screen,motion, animations,changing colors, etc vs the way I was taught the last two semesters just printing stuff to the console.
I've done a bit. I'll go back to it. Def better than doing C# on slow ass visual studio.