Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
man i was

best believe i get you when it comes to that

i was more frustrated with life alot has been going on and was having a quarterlife crisis cuz im turning 25 soon
as Mozzy said "the struggle is really real and im realistically in it"

im coming up on the 1 year mark since i started thought i would have a job right now so i started to feel bad but then i reflected on my old projects and how far ive came

im probably closer to being a web developer than i am an A+ certified tech so im throwing that back out of the window and decided to spend that time i would spend studying on getting all of my projects and portfolio in order and start applying maybe even freelance for some side money

we all gonna make it breh

I’m 36... I didn’t get my first IT job until I was 24 and even then it was a 2 week contract job replacing CPUs for $12/hr. After it was over I went back to warehouse jobs for $9/hr. Finally landed a real IT job(where I’m at now ). Started at $19/hr. Reached 60K a year around 29. Started making six figures about 2 years ago. I don’t even have a degree( still thinking about going back though ).

Just keep grinding breh and don’t compare yourself to anyone else. You’ll get there.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Motivation for anyone who gets frustrated and thinks about giving up, took him 3 hours to find the bug:

For those who may not know who he is, He's one of the founders of Epic Games and the guy who created the Unreal Engine( that powered Unreal, Gears of War, Fortnite etc ).

Tim Sweeney (game developer) - Wikipedia

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Motivation for anyone who gets frustrated and thinks about giving up, took him 3 hours to find the bug:

For those who may not know who he is, He's one of the founders of Epic Games and the guy who created the Unreal Engine( that powered Unreal, Gears of War, Fortnite etc ).

Tim Sweeney (game developer) - Wikipedia

Things like this are why I'm glad Java doesn't let you make some of these mistakes. C++ will let that through like :yeshrug:. I've been dealing with JavaScript and Node the past couple of weeks though.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Coli bros do yall think its better to master one language or be more of a jack of all trades. Finishing up the semester this week and I'm planning to really grind this summer learning. I'm torn right now on if I want to learn JavaScript or improve on my Java probably focusing on Data Structures , Spring for web stuff and maybe a little Android/mobile development

Last edited:

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Things like this are why I'm glad Java doesn't let you make some of these mistakes. C++ will let that through like :yeshrug:. I've been dealing with JavaScript and Node the past couple of weeks though.

You gotta make sacrifices to use one of the best C-based languages.:lolbron:

ImGucci

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NY
Coli bros do yall think its better to master one language or be more of a jack of all trades. Finishing up the semester this week and I'm planning to really grind this summer learning. I'm torn right now on if I want to learn JavaScript or improve on my Java probably focusing on Data Structures and Algorithms, Spring for web stuff and maybe a little Android/mobile development

Depends what you want to do,
If you want to become a web developer you are going to have to master JavaScript regardless.
You can make mobile apps with JavaScript also, so it kills two birds with one stone.

You should know one language for back end also. Master at least one, eg. Java, .Net, ruby, python, php.

You will look Gucci on your resume in the eyes of a recruiter.

Last edited:

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Coli bros do yall think its better to master one language or be more of a jack of all trades. Finishing up the semester this week and I'm planning to really grind this summer learning. I'm torn right now on if I want to learn JavaScript or improve on my Java probably focusing on Data Structures and Algorithms, Spring for web stuff and maybe a little Android/mobile development

I think it's important to be knowledgeable about multiple languages, but have a language you like and are very passionate about. OOP perspective in C based language make everything simpler tho. All C based languages have pretty much the same syntax. All you need to do is learn about packages and the capabilities of each language (whether there is error checking/garbage collection). I'm going with Web stuff.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Coli bros do yall think its better to master one language or be more of a jack of all trades. Finishing up the semester this week and I'm planning to really grind this summer learning. I'm torn right now on if I want to learn JavaScript or improve on my Java probably focusing on Data Structures , Spring for web stuff and maybe a little Android/mobile development

Become decently competent in one, get a job in the field and then move on to another one. Start with Javascript since you will most likely have to have SOME kind of understanding of the front end and it's easier to show companies your website than it is your android app. Once you get a job in the field, then you can spend your time on the other one and transition if you so desire.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA

Im no expert but i would learn javascript then learn a little php to do some back end shyt

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I'm gonna go parallel to what everyone is saying and say learn an in-demand framework that uses that language. So for JavaScript learn node, react, vue, or angular and build something with it for your portfolio. 2, actually, 3 birds with one stone. You get the language, you get experience with a framework that is current, you get something to talk about during interviews.

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
having trouble in the entry level job market finding anything related to software development. I graduated in Business Admin but have been teaching myself languages for some years now so I'm not exactly clueless out here. however I feel like a lot of the jobs/recruiters disqualify me from the start because they specify they want a CS degree.

basically would it be a bad idea to put on my profiles/resume that I graduated with a CS degree just to avoid that hurdle, to get my foot in the door, or could that be more trouble than it's worth?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
having trouble in the entry level job market finding anything related to software development. I graduated in Business Admin but have been teaching myself languages for some years now so I'm not exactly clueless out here. however I feel like a lot of the jobs/recruiters disqualify me from the start because they specify they want a CS degree.

basically would it be a bad idea to put on my profiles/resume that I graduated with a CS degree just to avoid that hurdle, to get my foot in the door, or could that be more trouble than it's worth?
Yeah don't do that because if/when you do the background check that'll be your ass. Put down projects you've completed, make sure you're using the right keywords, keep plugging away at it.