Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
That's what cats gotta understand. These companies ain't looking for cats they gotta train, so getting in the door is hard, but once you have a couple of years, it's like, whoa, what in the world happened?

Word. I'm in an entry level type of program right now and I've been expected to hit the ground running. I got just enough information to understand the project I'm on and that's it. No rest for the weary out here.

For those cats who need some practice in real-world projects or need challenging coding projects, go to sites like Topcoder, Codechef, Hackerrank, and Codeforces.

Roch

Rookie
Daps
How was it? What languages and all that?

Pace was fine (note: I was 2 years done with a comp sci degree before switching to business, but this was 12+ years ago)

we covered:
Html
Css
PHP (very little)
Java/Javascript
Node
MongoDb/Sql
React/Angular/Vue (mostly react)

I'm about to start with their career services dept to get this job search goin, though I'm already lining up some clients for freelancing

Snoopy Loops

All Star
Daps
Pace was fine (note: I was 2 years done with a comp sci degree before switching to business, but this was 12+ years ago)

we covered:
Html
Css
PHP (very little)
Java/Javascript
Node
MongoDb/Sql
React/Angular/Vue (mostly react)

I'm about to start with their career services dept to get this job search goin, though I'm already lining up some clients for freelancing

How long was it? Been learning front end and c# on Pluralsight. Wondering if a code camp is worth it.

Roch

Rookie
Daps
How long was it? Been learning front end and c# on Pluralsight. Wondering if a code camp is worth it.
6 months
3 days a week 3.5 hours a day
office hours available every class day and one extra day per week

I think it's worth it for the contacts and the career services.
From a purely technical standpoint you could probably learn everything on your own, though you'll bang your head against the wall way more.

Snoopy Loops

All Star
Daps
6 months

From a purely technical standpoint you could probably learn everything on your own, though you'll bang your head against the wall way more.

Evening classes? Yeah, classroom setting wins out learning solo. Price range? Thanks for the answers breh

Roch

Rookie
Daps
Evening classes? Yeah, classroom setting wins out learning solo. Price range? Thanks for the answers breh

Evening T & TH: 6:30-9:30pm
Saturday: 9:30 am - 2:00pm

10.5k if you finance
8k if you pay upfront

$500 (lol) scholarship if you graduated from the hosting college

Snoopy Loops

All Star
Daps
Evening T & TH: 6:30-9:30pm
Saturday: 9:30 am - 2:00pm

10.5k if you finance
8k if you pay upfront

$500 (lol) scholarship if you graduated from the hosting college

Oh gotcha. Did y'all put your projects on github? Wondering if a breh can snoop a bit, and see what type of sites yall designed.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Been coding for 10 months getting frustrated

is a bootcamp worth the investment?

Breh that’s just programming. It’s always gong to be frustrating. I said this before on here , I follow a lot of famous programmers on Twitter , every once in a while they’ll post something like

“ I spent 6 hrs chasing down this bug, come to find out it was due to one line of code”

Im talking about millionaires who still code. Everybody comments “ Wow can’t believe you made that mistake”

No matter how great you become at it , you’re going to get frustrated. It’s just your Love/Passion/patience for programming has to exceed the frustration.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
man i was
Breh that’s just programming. It’s always gong to be frustrating. I said this before on here , I follow a lot of famous programmers on Twitter , every once in a while they’ll post something like

“ I spent 6 hrs chasing down this bug, come to find out it was due to one line of code”

Im talking about millionaires who still code. Everybody comments “ Wow can’t believe you made that mistake”

No matter how great you become at it , you’re going to get frustrated. It’s just your Love/Passion/patience for programming has to exceed the frustration.

best believe i get you when it comes to that

i was more frustrated with life alot has been going on and was having a quarterlife crisis cuz im turning 25 soon
as Mozzy said "the struggle is really real and im realistically in it"

im coming up on the 1 year mark since i started thought i would have a job right now so i started to feel bad but then i reflected on my old projects and how far ive came

im probably closer to being a web developer than i am an A+ certified tech so im throwing that back out of the window and decided to spend that time i would spend studying on getting all of my projects and portfolio in order and start applying maybe even freelance for some side money

we all gonna make it breh

Roch

Rookie
Daps
Oh gotcha. Did y'all put your projects on github? Wondering if a breh can snoop a bit, and see what type of sites yall designed.

I'll post my repo/portfolio up when I clean everything up and get job ready. I shirked off a lot of documentation/polish.

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
6 months

GWU, breh?