Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
What are you getting frustrated with?
Bootcamp CAN be worth the investment. What will really get you in the industry is hustle. I don't have a CS degree, nor did I go to bootcamp, but I deployed site after site and applied to countless jobs.

If you don't think you're getting anywhere with the 'learn yourself' approach, bootcamp can be a more disciplined approach. They don't necessarily guarantee a job and you can be stuck with 10,000 in debt, so be careful.

I would say im getting frustrated with how long its taking/life in general... been in a quarterlife crisis but i just need to keep my head down and keep coding and networking

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I would say im getting frustrated with how long its taking/life in general... been in a quarterlife crisis but i just need to keep my head down and keep coding and networking
Make sure you have two or three sites deployed on heroku or whatever other hosting, get on linkedin and indeed.com, monster.com, etc., and apply. You will have to apply to a ton of jobs to get in

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
It took me 6 months of nonstop applying to get a job. Stick with it.

That's what cats gotta understand. These companies ain't looking for cats they gotta train, so getting in the door is hard, but once you have a couple of years, it's like, whoa, what in the world happened?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
That's what cats gotta understand. These companies ain't looking for cats they gotta train, so getting in the door is hard, but once you have a couple of years, it's like, whoa, what in the world happened?
Word. I'm in an entry level type of program right now and I've been expected to hit the ground running. I got just enough information to understand the project I'm on and that's it. No rest for the weary out here.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA

Yeah guess i gotta be more patient with this and just go as hard as i can
The struggle just got me frustrated wondering if its going to pay off

Taharqa

Superstar
Daps
How did you guys manage learning new languages every semester? Did your knowledge of that language stay?

I learned c++ last semester and now i'm doing java
going from cout to having to import a scanner:hhh:

this fall semester I'll be doing c# and visual basic
visual basic:flabbynsick:

and man this java class got me stressing. Everything is somwhat clicking, but this greeps project got me flustered

greeps wont do what i want:snoop:

green little b*stards get the tomato and get stuck :snoop:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
How did you guys manage learning new languages every semester? Did your knowledge of that language stay?

and man this java class got me stressing. Everything is somwhat clicking, but this greeps project got me flustered

The basics transfer, the syntax slips. But after a few hours it comes back. Nothing wrong with having to Google how to do something in a language.

ImGucci

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NY

You don’t have to know every language, you only have to great at one, maybe 2.

You don’t need to know c++ to get a job, java and c# are more popular right now.
Just look at job listings on indeed.com and see what languages are in demand and tailor your skills towards one of those stacks.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana

That's crazy bro the entire CompSci Program at my school is straight JAVA except for one general Programming Languages course. I never tried learning C++ but I've seen the syntax and some of it is very similar to JAVA like loops, ifs, arrays. That cout thing is really amazing tho compared to printing in JAVA lol

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
That's crazy bro the entire CompSci Program at my school is straight JAVA except for one general Programming Languages course. I never tried learning C++ but I've seen the syntax and some of it is very similar to JAVA like loops, ifs, arrays. That cout thing is really amazing compared to printing in JAVA lol
Most of the c derivative languages, including java, are very similar. Once you pick up one, a lot will transfer. Java problem, as you are seeing is verbosity, but that happens when you are a super corporate language. If you are using intellij, just type sout and hit tab

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Not necessarily. I'd hope you used them as a starting point and built upon them a little further. You should be able to talk about the details of the project if/when asked.