Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Which do you recommend? Im in atlanta

I'm not sure which schools are in Atlanta so make sure you do your research and try to visit the ones you're interested in so you can speak to the students.

-deleted-

Banned
Daps
you'd get exposed before you could get your foot in the door. I`d say this is the one field you can't just get away doing that in.

I don't like math but I learned it to graduate elementary. I can learn programming to increase my lifestyle.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
if something isn't clicking then it may not be fore you. IT is huge, Software Dev is just one corner of it. You may be better off looking to do something else.

Im about to get A+ certified just in case i want to go that route in the future i know its nothing to do with developing but i need a fallback plan or a way to pay bills while i learn but programming is way more fun to me it aligns with the lifestyle i want to live

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Im about to get A+ certified just in case i want to go that route in the future i know its nothing to do with developing but i need a fallback plan or a way to pay bills while i learn but programming is way more fun to me it aligns with the lifestyle i want to live
all ill say is good luck. A+ won't do much for you but maybe get you a gig in a call center or best buy. You should research what your actually passionate about and then find what Technology path aligns with it.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
all ill say is good luck. A+ won't do much for you but maybe get you a gig in a call center or best buy. You should research what your actually passionate about and then find what Technology path aligns with it.

I would say im passionate about coding i just want to accelerate my life trying to decide if a mentor or bootcamp would help

Im getting so desperate im thinking about emailing local businesses for intern/volunteer/ or part time work

Thinking about taking a day off on my bday to go to a php meetup in atl and try to network and get my name out in the area

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I would say im passionate about coding i just want to accelerate my life trying to decide if a mentor or bootcamp would help

Im getting so desperate im thinking about emailing local businesses for intern/volunteer/ or part time work

Thinking about taking a day off on my bday to go to a php meetup in atl and try to network and get my name out in the area
hit up local meet ups. join the tech404 slack group also

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Looking for work, and it's tough.:beli:

Getting in the door is tough. Once you get a couple of years experience, then recruiters will be blowing the doors off of your inbox

For your first year or two, you're going to have to have a real nice portfolio and will have to send your application to like 40 different places.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Been coding for 10 months getting frustrated

is a bootcamp worth the investment?

What are you getting frustrated with?
Bootcamp CAN be worth the investment. What will really get you in the industry is hustle. I don't have a CS degree, nor did I go to bootcamp, but I deployed site after site and applied to countless jobs.

If you don't think you're getting anywhere with the 'learn yourself' approach, bootcamp can be a more disciplined approach. They don't necessarily guarantee a job and you can be stuck with 10,000 in debt, so be careful.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

What does your portfolio look like? If you have a solid portfolio, keep applying to job after job.