Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
First, :salute:

Second, if you could be so kind, could you drop some knowledge on what you did and/or what you studied to get there. I'm trying to get into that myself. :feedme:

Appreciate it breh :salute:. I'm working on Masters in Statistics so the math side of things wasn't/isn't too much of a learning curve. But at the very least you need a solid background in Calculus and Linear Algebra.

These are the areas necessary for a Data Scientist: Statistics, Machine Learning, Computer Programming, Domain Knowledge

On the programming side of things you need to know SQL and Python/R. I used an intro course to learn Python from Udemy as well as one for Pandas a data analysis library in Python. Learning it is one thing, using it is another. At my current role as an Operations Analyst, anything that I could see a need for from an automation perspective I tried to make a python program for. SQL isn't hard to pick up and if you need a reference for best ways to learn it I can shoot you that. It doesn't take long, but any role in analytics regarding DS they will test you on this most likely on a white board.

On the Machine Learning side of things I read a free ebook called Independent Statistical Learning with applications in R. This was my Bible. Not too mathy, but it gives you a basic understanding of most of the common ML algorithms, why you use them, how they work, etc. Read it, read it again, understand it, practice it. The book itself has applications in R and I did a machine learning udemy course that followed the book with applications in Python.

Stats is tough. I'm getting a formal Statistics education so outside of that I'm not sure what's the best way to learn what's necessary. But I can get back to you on this too.

Honestly breh it's a lot of shyt and I still have A LOT of shyt to learn. I've been grinding learning this stuff every day for over a year now. The best method is to define a goal and learn a specific sector part by part. If you try to learn everything at the same time, you will not retain anything.

That's just a quick summary and if you need some advice or more in depth explanation just let me know.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Appreciate it breh :salute:. I'm working on Masters in Statistics so the math side of things wasn't/isn't too much of a learning curve. But at the very least you need a solid background in Calculus and Linear Algebra.

These are the areas necessary for a Data Scientist: Statistics, Machine Learning, Computer Programming, Domain Knowledge

On the programming side of things you need to know SQL and Python/R. I used an intro course to learn Python from Udemy as well as one for Pandas a data analysis library in Python. Learning it is one thing, using it is another. At my current role as an Operations Analyst, anything that I could see a need for from an automation perspective I tried to make a python program for. SQL isn't hard to pick up and if you need a reference for best ways to learn it I can shoot you that. It doesn't take long, but any role in analytics regarding DS they will test you on this most likely on a white board.

On the Machine Learning side of things I read a free ebook called Independent Statistical Learning with applications in R. This was my Bible. Not too mathy, but it gives you a basic understanding of most of the common ML algorithms, why you use them, how they work, etc. Read it, read it again, understand it, practice it. The book itself has applications in R and I did a machine learning udemy course that followed the book with applications in Python.

Stats is tough. I'm getting a formal Statistics education so outside of that I'm not sure what's the best way to learn what's necessary. But I can get back to you on this too.

Honestly breh it's a lot of shyt and I still have A LOT of shyt to learn. I've been grinding learning this stuff every day for over a year now. The best method is to define a goal and learn a specific sector part by part. If you try to learn everything at the same time, you will not retain anything.

That's just a quick summary and if you need some advice or more in depth explanation just let me know.

Have this dap and spiritual rep, breh. :salute: :blessed:

-deleted-

Banned
Daps

You just motivated me to get started on MySQL this weekend. I've been ducking learning that for too damn long now. JavaScript and Bootstrap too.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Been going hard on this nodejs tonight. There is just so much to learn, it has become a skill not to get frustrated at not being able to absorb everything you want to know.

-deleted-

Banned
Daps
In such an annoying situation that it’s starting to get to me. Currently unemployed, but have a B.S in Information Science and currently pursuing a masters in the same thing. But I have no practical work experience so it’s making it difficult to get a job. I’m hoping to snag up a Systems Analysts position at the least. Currently taking courses on JavaScript, followed by JQuery and PHP eventually ending with MySQL. I know the typical advice is to specialize in something but I have no experience so I don’t know where to start. All I need is a start somewhere so I can at least see what I like and don’t like. I feel like I’m taking these courses and doing these exercises can help my resume and portfolio but still just running on a treadmill. Anything would be better than what I’m making now. ($0).

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
are you more interested in web development or some kind of data analysis position?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
you will ultimately have to pick one because the learning paths for both can be vastly different. if you're more into some kind of data scientist/analyst type of role, you will focus on a language like python and sql... front end web developmer is html, javascript, css and some front end framework like angular and react... back end developer has a choice of several serverside languages and you will most likely have to use some sql database.

Take the next week and find what you gravitate to and pick that and then stick with it.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Honestly bro, just pick one and go hard with it because you can always transition over to another one later.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
depends, do you think you can find an entry level job in your area with your current level?

I dont think im ready... im turning 25 in 2 weeks im having a crazy quarter life crisis just really weighing my options i gotta turn my life up sooner rather than later