Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Web development is definitely preferable to mobile imo since you can do things like react native that creates native apps based off of web technology. Beautiful thing is that you can use one code base to make both apple and android apps... you can also use that codebase to make desktop apps with electron. On the other hand, if you wanted to use the native language, you'd have to do something like Java, or now Kotlin for android and then swift for apple.

What tools/tech stack are you using?

For a course last fall we used Apache server and I used PHP for the backend stuff and Mysql for the DB. I did all this on my surface pro 4 though and not my mac.

I'm looking to move from PHP to python as It seemed more flexible/popular and I'm not trying to become a Developer I just want to continue to keep my technical skills sharp as it helps with System design when working with Architects.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
What tools/tech stack are you using?

For a course last fall we used Apache server and I used PHP for the backend stuff and Mysql for the DB. I did all this on my surface pro 4 though and not my mac.

I'm looking to move from PHP to python as It seemed more flexible/popular and I'm not trying to become a Developer I just want to continue to keep my technical skills sharp as it helps with System design when working with Architects.

Right now I'm focusing primarily on Javascript. Mainly I'm using Angular 2-5 and am learning React. For the backend, primarly node, although I've dabbled with spring mvc and golang. If you want one language to get a taste of development, just stick with Javascript

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Right now I'm focusing primarily on Javascript. Mainly I'm using Angular 2-5 and am learning React. For the backend, primarly node, although I've dabbled with spring mvc and golang. If you want one language to get a taste of development, just stick with Javascript

So what all do i need to install to have my mac ready?

morris

Superstar
Daps
Can anyone recommend any good sites/courses for UX?

I am not a programmer (know very little Python and RoR) and do not look forward to learning intensive programming/software engineering

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
So what all do i need to install to have my mac ready?
Just install nodejs

www.nodejs.org

and get you a nice text editor or ide. if you want free, get visual studio code. My favorite paid one is webstorm.
VSCode: Visual Studio Code - Code Editing. Redefined
WebStorm: WebStorm: The Smartest JavaScript IDE by JetBrains

You don't really need anything else, since javascript on the front end executes in the browser. You just have to create an html file and link in your .js files/

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Just install nodejs

www.nodejs.org

and get you a nice text editor or ide. if you want free, get visual studio code. My favorite paid one is webstorm.
VSCode: Visual Studio Code - Code Editing. Redefined
WebStorm: WebStorm: The Smartest JavaScript IDE by JetBrains

You don't really need anything else, since javascript on the front end executes in the browser. You just have to create an html file and link in your .js files/
Ive used VSCODE so ill probably stick with that. What about DB connectivity? I assume mysql is fine? And i dont need a webserver?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
nodejs is a javascript runtime that allows you to fire up a server. for db you can use mysql, but mongodb which is a nosql database, is most commonly used with node.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
It's dumbfounding how people will want you to build something for a system you have next to no knowledge of, give you the vaguest requirements they can, then get upset when you're struggling to deliver :guccby: . Like dude you don't even know what you're asking for or how it could even be accomplished.

If requirement analysis and documents were required for every project, nothing would get done. I swear being a programmer is part magician and part psychic.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Ah ok. Im somewhat familiar with mongo

Its actually a simple kind of db. It stores and retrieves bson, which are json esque objects. In other words, it pretty much stores data in a format that looks like a JavaScript object.

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
Took a couple more months than I wanted but got finally got a new gig in the Data Science sphere. 93K, 23 Days PTO, and potential of up to 12% annual bonus. Office is a 15 minute WALK from my spot. We made it brehs. :obama:

Grind don't stop though, next goal is entrepreneurship. Too much opportunity in the A.I., machine learning field not to eat on your own :myman:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Took a couple more months than I wanted but got finally got a new gig in the Data Science sphere. 93K, 23 Days PTO, and potential of up to 12% annual bonus. Office is a 15 minute WALK from my spot. We made it brehs. :obama:

Grind don't stop though, next goal is entrepreneurship. Too much opportunity in the A.I., machine learning field not to eat on your own :myman:

First, :salute:

Second, if you could be so kind, could you drop some knowledge on what you did and/or what you studied to get there. I'm trying to get into that myself. :feedme:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

You into stats and stuff?

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
You into stats and stuff?
Yeah breh. I'm currently working on Masters in Statistics. I've gone hard body over the past year learning machine learning algorithms, python, SQL, and Rstudio. Nikka been grinding and finally it's paid off. This time a couple years ago I was driving Uber 50 hours a week just to survive :wow:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yeah breh. I'm currently working on Masters in Statistics. I've gone hard body over the past year learning machine learning algorithms, python, SQL, and Rstudio. Nikka been grinding and finally it's paid off. This time a couple years ago I was driving Uber 50 hours a week just to survive :wow:
Good stuff. The stuff is interesting I will say but I dont enjoy stats enough to deep dive into the technical side. I do read up on this stufd as understanding the concepts helps me understand the capabilities and how i could use it in products