Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Why is Linux used in IT? Especially when a lot of professional software can't be ran on it (clearly that's more of a hassle for other fields not IT and CS). I'm curious into why I got picked up
I think it's due to it being open source and free. If you know what you're doing it's highly configurable. For the image I use at work the shutdown messages have a lot more going on than regular Ubuntu. It's also pretty lightweight compared to Windows so you don't need robust hardware to run it. 4GB of RAM and 32GB of storage space is all you need, which feeds back into low cost. And it's not about enterprise software or Microsoft Office, it's mainly used for server-side software. I'd wager that most websites have their servers hosted on a Linux VM.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
After looking into laptops some more I think I might pick up a Lenovo Thinkpad P51 Workstation :whew:. It ain't gonna be cheap when I spec the bih out though. Shooting for that 4k display, 64GB of RAM, and at least 1TB of storage.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
After looking into laptops some more I think I might pick up a Lenovo Thinkpad P51 Workstation :whew:. It ain't gonna be cheap when I spec the bih out though. Shooting for that 4k display, 64GB of RAM, and at least 1TB of storage.

Make sure you get an SSD drive( I assume you are with all that other stuff you are getting). It's like night and day. my laptop boots up in about 5 seconds....:wow:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Make sure you get an SSD drive( I assume you are with all that other stuff you are getting). It's like night and day. my laptop boots up in about 5 seconds....:wow:
Yeah the config defaults to 500GB SSD and you can add on another M2 SSD AND a 1 or 2 TB HDD. You can get that 1GB for free I think. I don't have the link handy but if you look at the Xeon Processor models you'll see how hardcore you can get em. I was gonna drop like 1800 on a Dell XPS but when I think about it, might as well spend the money on an enterprise laptop that's going to have a nice long lifespan and the hardware I need for serious development.

Snoopy Loops

All Star
Daps
Brehs, I’m at a crossroad. Weighing between web dev or Dapp/smart contract dev as a side hustle pursuit. Smart contract dev is a lot more challenging, but payoff can be big. However crypto scene is gamble. Web dev is cool, fairly stable, but I’m not really a visual guy, so if photoshop or graphic design comes up I’m screwed. Right now 28 and no wife or kids, what would y’all suggest?

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
Ideas on the most efficient way to learn JavaScript? I completed a course on Lynda and am trying to practice. Been putting some time in on CodeAcademy doing the guided exercises but I'm wondering if there's a better way.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Ideas on the most efficient way to learn JavaScript? I completed a course on Lynda and am trying to practice. Been putting some time in on CodeAcademy doing the guided exercises but I'm wondering if there's a better way.
Best advice someone gave me in this thread is code everyday even if it’s just like 30
Mins. I follow a bunch of YouTube channels
In my spare time I just watch videos and code along or do my own implementations and also have a App for learning to code on my phone . I find consistency helps with retention of knowledge

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Once you finish codecademy, go to udemy and look through the courses and cop one where they actually make something interesting. Cop that one and go through it.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Now if you want to move up fast, stay focused. Go to udemy and go buy the highest rated courses on your subject of study. Load up some podcasts on your phone. While you're on your commute, listen to those programming related podcasts. When you go home, study those courses. When you step into a job, you want to be a 'go-to' guy. This is how you make your salary move up really quickly. Once you hit the salary ceiling in most places, which is 120 to 150k unless you're somewhere like california or new york, go very hard on your programming. When you hit that salary ceiling, then you can start focusing on other things like opening up your own business or even relaxing.

Also, put your resume on indeed and on linked in and even monster.com. Once you get in with a reputable company, recruiters will be blowing you up, doing everything they can to get you a job. Before I got the job where I currently work at, I had to apply to countless jobs... like to the tune of dozens. Now as soon as I got this job and got a few months in and got to put 'senior javascript dev' on my resume, I literally haven't had to apply to any jobs. Recruiters are coming to me and trying to put me on with different companies. What I will say is having something like a blog, youtube channel and active linked in profile is going to be very helpful. You need to create a sort of 'presence'. Nobody will know how skilled you are if you don't market yourself.

Last edited: