Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Getting Started | MinGW
I got stuck at #4 under After Installing You Should...
Opened that fstab shyt in notepad++. I don't want to fukk it up lol. Do I have to remove the comments above it? In my shyt that line they want is mad spaced away from each other and it's "C:/MinGW" instead of the "C:\MinGW" that they want.
I just read #5, damn this shyt making me feel dumb lmao.
I don't know what comments are above it but there shouldn't be any reason to news with them. The line should be like "C:\MinGW". Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the general rule of thumb is paths in Windows use "\"and paths in UNIX use "/". So in order for that path to be read correctly by the program you need "\". Step 5 is just saying make sure there's an empty line at the end of the file.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
I don't know what comments are above it but there shouldn't be any reason to news with them. The line should be like "C:\MinGW". Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the general rule of thumb is paths in Windows use "\"and paths in UNIX use "/". So in order for that path to be read correctly by the program you need "\". Step 5 is just saying make sure there's an empty line at the end of the file.
I meant the paragraph below Step 5. I don't have a MinGW Shell shortcut.
Edit:
I'm at the Environment Variable part now.
  1. Right-click on your "My Computer" icon and select "Properties".
  2. Click on the "Advanced" tab, then on the "Environment Variables" button.
  3. You should be presented with a dialog box with two text boxes. The top box shows your user settings. The PATH entry in this box is the one you want to modify. Note that the bottom text box allows you to change the systemPATH variable. You should not alter the system path variable in any manner, or you will cause all sorts of problems for you and your computer!
  4. Click on the PATH entry in the TOP box, then click on the "Edit" button
  5. Scroll to the end of the string and at the end add
    ;<installation-directory>\bin
  6. press OK -> OK -> OK and you are done.
NOTE: Substitute <installation-directory> with the FULL absolute path name of the installation target directory you chose (ie C:\MinGW);

NOTE: If you installed MSYS, you may also want to add ";<installation-directory>\MSYS\1.0\local\bin", and ";<installation-directory>\MSYS\1.0\bin" to the end of your user PATH variable.
I have Windows 10 so my shyt looking like
24lsck6.jpg

I add the shyt to the %USERPROFILE% line or add below the other lines?

Last edited:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I meant the paragraph below Step 5. I don't have a MinGW Shell shortcut.
Edit:
I'm at the Environment Variable part now.

I have Windows 10 so my shyt looking like
24lsck6.jpg

I add the shyt to the %USERPROFILE% line or add below the other lines?
I'm not sure about the shortcut thing then.

Add it below. The PATH variable lets you run programs from the command line without having to specify the path to the program. For instance you should be able to open cmd and cd into a directory, run "code ." and VS Code will open and set that directory as the open project workspace. If you install JDK it should add the location of the JDK to the PATH variable so you can run java and javac from the command line. In Linux the PATH variable generally points to /usr/local/bin. In that directory you'll find a bunch of programs or symbolic links (shortcuts) to programs and that's what allows you to run so many console commands. I actually think you can add an entry and point it to any location where an executable file is and it should still hold true.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
I'm not sure about the shortcut thing then.

Add it below. The PATH variable lets you run programs from the command line without having to specify the path to the program. For instance you should be able to open cmd and cd into a directory, run "code ." and VS Code will open and set that directory as the open project workspace. If you install JDK it should add the location of the JDK to the PATH variable so you can run java and javac from the command line. In Linux the PATH variable generally points to /usr/local/bin. In that directory you'll find a bunch of programs or symbolic links (shortcuts) to programs and that's what allows you to run so many console commands. I actually think you can add an entry and point it to any location where an executable file is and it should still hold true.
Done!
That's dope, will look into that.
Now back to that post telling me to open the prompt of MinGW and shyt. How do I open the MinGW prompt?
Edit:
Code:
gcc: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
Oh shyt I got this from the cmd by typing gcc. I'm closer :stylin:
Edit2:
28so3lv.jpg

I'm on windows 10 :francis:
Edit3:
Oh shyt! you don't know lol fukk, well thanks for trying breh

Last edited:

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
I found this
small talk.gnu.org/wiki/building-gst-guides
Theirs one for Windows. Going to try it, you can join too if you'd like. I will report results.
Edit:
I skipped step 2 because thought that shyt meant post installation (I was like already did that bullshyt at the user variable path :youngsabo: thanks to @Obreh Winfrey ) not that it's an actual folder name with a file to edit in lmao.
When I did step 6:lolbron:got a wall of crazy text just going :ohhh::whoo:.
At first it was telling what I do and don't got :krs:then just haywire:sadbron: for a minute or two with error messages.
Anyways now that I went to follow step 2 properly, ahh hell no I'm not trying to fukk up. Somebody help I can't find the proper path to edit in what I guess is Lua code.

Last edited:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Man it's annoying parsing input that isn't consistent. Trying to list the possible ways it could come in and then finding out you missed some
tenor.gif

Had to rewrite my logic like 5 times. Now I have to rewrite the logic that marries that input with some other data since that shyt ain't working right either.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
what's a terror is having your front end app work lovely on every browser, but then you run it in garbage explorer, and oops

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
@Rose Gold , Bruh just get a book that talks about OOP Concepts. You are wasting your time going through all of this with Smalltalk.

Look up Head First Java or Head First C#.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
@Rose Gold , Bruh just get a book that talks about OOP Concepts. You are wasting your time going through all of this with Smalltalk.

Look up Head First Java or Head First C#.
I will just focus on C# then. Breh should get a cheap Thinkpad with Linux installed to be my main machine for programming in general?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I will just focus on C# then. Breh should get a cheap Thinkpad with Linux installed to be my main machine for programming in general?
Post an example of what you're talking about because we all have different ideas on what cheap is. Get one with Windows, install Virtualbox, and set up a VM with Linux on it.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Post an example of what you're talking about because we all have different ideas on what cheap is. Get one with Windows, install Virtualbox, and set up a VM with Linux on it.
My current laptop is X555LAB with Windows 10, i3 5005u and 6gb of ram. It's like 14 or 15 inches. I love it but I want something smaller and lighter for programming. I looked at pinebook but fukk a 2gb of ram and an arm 64 processor. I looked at system76 lemur but it's out of my price range. If you literally type Thinkpad Linux on eBay, you see shyt in the $130 and below price range

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
My current laptop is X555LAB with Windows 10, i3 5005u and 6gb of ram. It's like 14 or 15 inches. I love it but I want something smaller and lighter for programming. I looked at pinebook but fukk a 2gb of ram and an arm 64 processor. I looked at system76 lemur but it's out of my price range. If you literally type Thinkpad Linux on eBay, you see shyt in the $130 and below price range
I think you should increase your budget and target something with an i5 or i7 and try to get 8GB of RAM.