Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Appreciate this man.

As far as formal learning, would it make sense to pay for those Udemy courses on it? I'm coming in with basically no knowledge outside of doing some self-taught beginners coding like a year go that I completely forgot.

I know this is hard to answer, cause there's no one sizes fits all, but how long would you say it takes for a novice to fully grasp coding? Thanks again

Np.. when i joined university, I didn't know anything about coding and it took me 4 months to grasp the fundamentals. I then got an internship at a small startup and that really helped me....so 8 months in total. I would say for some one who is going at this every day by themselves it would take 6 months to reach a point where they are hireable.

yea the udemy courses are good; this is good too for some more theoretical knowledge
CS50's Introduction to Computer Science!

but these wont help you get a job....they are only good for learning the concepts

Basically to get into the industry without a degree you need some extensive personal projects (like 10000 line of code atleast) or freelancing history

I would learn the concepts...pick a webdev language and a front end and backend framework (javascipt, nodejs, react).......start a couple personal projects... and register with some software freelancing sites

Something to note, a couple of the guys I worked with entered the industry by going to 8 week coding camps. If you live in a tech hub like san francisco, toronto or nyc, lots of smaller start ups like to hire from these camps. However, these are really expensive and don't work for anybody.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Appreciate this man.

As far as formal learning, would it make sense to pay for those Udemy courses on it? I'm coming in with basically no knowledge outside of doing some self-taught beginners coding like a year go that I completely forgot.

I know this is hard to answer, cause there's no one sizes fits all, but how long would you say it takes for a novice to fully grasp coding? Thanks again

Buy the best resources you can, including books and udemy courses. On udemy, you can almost always get the courses for around $10 if you search for a coupon. Don't be cheap and try to scour for 'free resources'. You'll easily make back the amount you spent on courses within your first year.

livindajetlife

Superstar
Daps
So, I'm trying to get into the Quality Assurance field. No experience in the field, no college degree. Where do I start? Are there certifications? Take courses? How do I begin?
I’m in the same boat .. but what made you choose “quality assurance” is it something you already know about? I’m trying to decide what to get into, imma fast ass learner just indecisive

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I’m in the same boat .. but what made you choose “quality assurance” is it something you already know about? I’m trying to decide what to get into, imma fast ass learner just indecisive
Someone on here told me Quality Assurance is the fastest way into the IT world and doesn't require a lot of technical knowledge. He actually referred me to a place specifically. I'll send you the link.

BeachBum Unreal

SD Born & Raised: 760, 619
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Someone on here told me Quality Assurance is the fastest way into the IT world and doesn't require a lot of technical knowledge. He actually referred me to a place specifically. I'll send you the link.
Yo I'm interested in thus too. I'm new to IT and been looking into QA as an in.

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I'm back into the coding world. Been looking at shyt from C++ to JavaScript. I need to get back to making sure I can solve problems and actually make shyt. I made a shytty HTML page today and felt dumb but hey, it's better than nothing. There's so much to learn. Is @kevm still posting here? A lot of the words he said helped me a lot but I fell off.

I'm transitioning from Mechanical Engineering. I can't find shyt in my field without having to spit out a gang of resumes. If something comes up I'll probably go for it but I'm gonna keep coding and get my developer skills up. I think one of my plans is to try to learn how to automate things.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
For those looking to learn SQL, this is an excellent site:
Learn SQL | Vertabelo Academy

kind of reminds me of codecademy. You have to pay for the courses, but paying $25 - $100 into what can translate into an extra tens of thousands of dollars in income a year makes it worth it.

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
For those looking to learn SQL, this is an excellent site:
Learn SQL | Vertabelo Academy

kind of reminds me of codecademy. You have to pay for the courses, but paying $25 - $100 into what can translate into an extra tens of thousands of dollars in income a year makes it worth it.

I'm gonna look into SQL. I bombed an interview because I didn't know it as well as I thought I did. You never know, so I'm gonna make sure I brush up on it.

Would you recommend tutorialspoint? I go there from time to time.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm gonna look into SQL. I bombed an interview because I didn't know it as well as I thought I did. You never know, so I'm gonna make sure I brush up on it.

Would you recommend tutorialspoint? I go there from time to time.
Never been to tutorialspoint. This is one of the best courses on SQL I've found:
https://www.udemy.com/the-ultimate-mysql-bootcamp-go-from-sql-beginner-to-expert/learn/v4/overview

If you are coming from a c++ background, look into angular 5. It utilizes typescript, which is a superset of Javascript and adds things like types, interfaces, etc. to the language. I think the key to programming is staying motivated and finding something interesting. Try making a game with the Phaser game library. www.phaser.io