Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Due to a misunderstanding I've been pushed into learning Node. I'm working on creating a REST API along with a simplified web application to get up to speed.

node is pretty simple overall, thankfully

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
node is pretty simple overall, thankfully
I haven't had any real issues yet, the hardest part was trying to figure out what to do for a project. Now I'm making sure my SQL is straight so I can start moving some data around. I'd prefer to do things using TypeScript since I'm slightly more comfortable with it but I need to push myself out of my comfort zone so JavaScript it is.

poppastoppa

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Crack
just had an online pre-interview screening test. the type where your input and changes are sent back as a video so they can see it all live time. it went pretty poorly and I'm gonna post the questions that had me stuck.

BN2H8fT.jpg

37FzKRC.jpg

I'm more C#, OOP comfortable so I was kinda caught off guard :beli:. not necessarily looking for answers but even just resources/sites that would be good to look at to get on the path to knowing that kinda stuff with ease.

1 issue is the encoding is incorrect.
2. The style for paragraph will never be applied. And the bold tag would be a duplicate.
3.Nav style will never be applied.
4. Error in float styling. Also move from inline styles.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
They would like to use that footer over, then turn it into a partial if they are doing server side rendering or turn it into a component if they are using something like angular or react.

to make that code html5 compliant, you can simplify the doctype to <!doctype html>. You can also use semantic elements, which mean more descriptive elements. Instead of <div id="navbar"> you can use the <nav> tag. They should also put the charset in the head. <meta charset="utf-8">.

Ways to improve the code is to take out that style tag and link to an external stylesheet. Also, take out the inline css. I also would personally use comments to divy up the sections. For example something like:
<!-- BEGIN Header Section -->
<nav> ... </nav>
<!-- END Header Section -->

When that html file starts getting massive, this really helps you understand where divs end and keep track of the different sections.

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
Also, what kinda bread does being a CST (Certified Scrum Trainer) get you? I'm getting all the training and certs as part of a work project, if the price is right I might take them shyts and bounce:lolbron:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Would ya'll mind giving me some perspective on AGILE/Scrum?

Does Agile/Scrum product development really work?

I'm starting a program to implement the framework, just need some "real" perspective before I start doing things....

Facebook use to go by “ Move fast and break things.”

Agile/Scrum is the same but without the break things part.. lol

Basically it’s a tighter integration between the analyst /developers/QA teams and smaller development/Sprint cycles.Before developers would work on features for a couple of months , just to find out the feature was changed or no longer needed.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
So, I'm trying to get into the Quality Assurance field. No experience in the field, no college degree. Where do I start? Are there certifications? Take courses? How do I begin?
What do you mean by QA? Software testing?

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I've probably said this before in here, but having 2 monitors is a huge productivity boost. I really never understood having 2 monitors before until they forced another monitor on me at work.LOL. I finally got around to getting another one at home. I mean just having info or tutorials on one monitor while you code/follow along on another really is saving yourself time.

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So, I'm trying to get into the Quality Assurance field. No experience in the field, no college degree. Where do I start? Are there certifications? Take courses? How do I begin?
look into crowdsourced testing......do this in your free time for a bit so that you have something related to manual QA (clicking around to find bugs) in your resume.

this article is good if you want to get into software QA (writing tests with code). I would learn Javascript and then familiarize myself with a couple of testing frameworks like mocha and chai

lastly, apply to QA positions at smaller companies or startups....pay wont be as great as a fortune 500 but they wont expect you to have any prior knowledge or degree.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
look into crowdsourced testing......do this in your free time for a bit so that you have something related to manual QA (clicking around to find bugs) in your resume.

this article is good if you want to get into software QA (writing tests with code). I would learn Javascript and then familiarize myself with a couple of testing frameworks like mocha and chai

lastly, apply to QA positions at smaller companies or startups....pay wont be as great as a fortune 500 but they wont expect you to have any prior knowledge or degree.

Appreciate this man.

As far as formal learning, would it make sense to pay for those Udemy courses on it? I'm coming in with basically no knowledge outside of doing some self-taught beginners coding like a year go that I completely forgot.

I know this is hard to answer, cause there's no one sizes fits all, but how long would you say it takes for a novice to fully grasp coding? Thanks again