Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Looking for some guidance/advice from you guys.

I'm looking to redesign a website concept into a browser app (chrome, mozilla, etc.) that is database driven. Users would be able to scour the database and add/remove links to sites within the database within their user profile.

My development background is based in javascript. Im taking courses on Udemy for Node.Js and then am enrolling in a React & Redux course.

Im wondering what languages and/or programs I should be looking into specifically to get this rolling. Any help from you guys is as always greatly appreciated :salute:

Just stay with learning javascript. You'll probably end up learning MongoDB in the process since that's what most tutorials use

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just stay with learning javascript. You'll probably end up learning MongoDB in the process since that's what most tutorials use
Yup. I'm taking a React/Redux course and then a follow up React and Node course that deals with MongoDB. Thanks for the info breh:salute:

-deleted-

Banned
Daps
Currently learning web design and mobile app design.

Anyone currently work a professional job in these fields? Is the money/job market really as good as they say?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Currently learning web design and mobile app design.

Anyone currently work a professional job in these fields? Is the money/job market really as good as they say?

If you're highly skilled and have years of experience, then the pay can be very nice.

-deleted-

Banned
Daps
If you're highly skilled and have years of experience, then the pay can be very nice.

Currently I am working on building a portfolio through freelancing and have a BA in CS already working on a Masters in Information Sciences. Would you say that with enough work I can land a full-time gig in 6 months?

-deleted-

Banned
Daps
Yo, anyone know of any alternatives to Xcode for iOS app development? The program itself is garbage. Crashes all the time.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Currently I am working on building a portfolio through freelancing and have a BA in CS already working on a Masters in Information Sciences. Would you say that with enough work I can land a full-time gig in 6 months?

As long as your portfolio is decent, but be prepared to apply to a ton of companies. What gets you in the door is constantly applying

ImGucci

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NY
Yo, anyone know of any alternatives to Xcode for iOS app development? The program itself is garbage. Crashes all the time.

you have to use Xcode to develop in native script.

You can use other programs if you building hybrid apps using JavaScript, then you can use any code editor program like Atom, sublime, visual studio.

ImGucci

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NY

I had to freelance a year after college to get my first full time gig. There’s a lot of competition at junior level.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Also, another key is to not be cheap. A lot of people like to surf the web and try to get 'free' resources, but a lot of times, these may be inferior in teaching quality and you might end up having to search through a ton of stuff just to find something decent. Just go to udemy or packtpub and buy some quality courses. You can get courses for $10 on udemy if you search for a coupon and right now packtpub has a sale on all books and videos for $5. Get 'automate the boring stuff' since it's python and lets you do some interesting stuff.
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python Programming
search for the $10 udemy coupon and cop that and work through that. That should be a nice start. The advantage you would have over computer science graduates is if you start getting experience with relevant technologies and putting it in your portfolio
Is python enough or does one need to learn more languages before being able to get a job?