Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Yeah I read up on the science behind it. Trippy, bro. Python docs has a really good explainer:
14. Floating Point Arithmetic: Issues and Limitations — Python 2.7.14 documentation
quick-tutorial-on-ieee-754-floating-point-representation-2-638.jpg

images

Basically how we learned about it when I took my computer architecture (I think) class. I didn't show up that day or week :mjlol: So I was struggling because the professor didn't teach you something from scratch at office hours if you missed lecture :francis:.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Took the steps to mess around with VS Code. Set up Virtualbox on my Linux machine (a hassle all its own), installed LXLE on it, had to jump through a few hoops to install Node and Yarn, but I was able to build and run the source with no real issue. It slipped my mind that development for VS Code is basically all TypeScript. I had my mind kinda set on C++ and/or Java for some reason. The end goal is an extension that turns the editor into a pseudo Java IDE that probably relies on maven for the heavy lifting. Project generation, dependency management, testing, etc.
Ended up deleting Virtualbox because I was trying to resolve that 100% processor issue I mentioned in Random Thoughts. Reinstalled and went with ElementaryOS instead. Not sure if it's running better than LXLE was but it seems like it. Got everything set up again. Turns out that it's easier to just make an extension rather than directly modify VS Code, so you don't even need to set up the dev toolchain. All you need is VS Code and npm. They wrote a tool to scaffold extensions for you that uses Yeoman, although I don't really know what Yeoman is.

So far you can run a command to create a Maven project then I make you select the target folder, then enter the relevant information so that maven will generate a project. The next step would be figuring out how to open the project folder in the current workspace, although I don't know if its possible. I might be able to do it without opening another Code editor. Either way I'm going to have to lift some information from the pom.xml so that cleaning/building/running can be done. After that it'll be done on a basic capacity. I wish I knew how to pull output from the console through the API but I don't think its possible unless you can route it through a file, but that's more than I want to do.

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Man I just had an interview with Silicon Valley company......I provided decent solutions but dude kept telling me to optimize for space complexity....was half way through explaining the optimization when I ran out of time. Solved it literally 5 min later.....:shaq2:

sr_thecoli

Rookie
Daps
Hey everyone.
New to thecoli here (sort of .. not really.. been lurking for a minute). Glad to finally/formally introduce myself.
Ive been in the IT industry for some time. Done it all within software development.. Testing, Dev, PM, Director.

Usually I’ve felt alone being a true hip hop fan in the sphere of my professional life. Honestly, I was somewhat happy and surprised when I found this sub-community. I hope to network with y’all.

One question: I appreciate this thread but there’s a lot of history here. Going back years on a single thread isn’t something I’m up for.
Is there something more (whats the word...?) dedicated to various IT topics on TheColi (or even elsewhere on the web)?

For example, where’s the best place to
chat about how (not a true story:smile: I want to port my Spring/Java project to Rails for simplicity sake.
Maybe I havent searched well enough on here. Admittedly, Im always on my mobile when i visit the site. Ill login via desktop today at work though.
I’d love to have greater discussion about technologies/projects/ideas with you all. Maybe even work related help. As an IT director who manages a tightly knit team of devs and sys admins, Im always up for networking with like minded people with similar interests.
Later!

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
Finally about to start this internship soon. and I'm nervous as hell.:sadcam:

yall got any tips?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Finally about to start this internship soon. and I'm nervous as hell.:sadcam:

yall got any tips?
Don't be nervous? Take it day by day and remember that they know you're still learning so don't get scared if you don't know exactly what you're doing. That said, you know more than you think you do so just let it flow.

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
Don't be nervous? Take it day by day and remember that they know you're still learning so don't get scared if you don't know exactly what you're doing. That said, you know more than you think you do so just let it flow.
appreciate the advice breh :salute:

Gonna spend this weekend brushing up on a few more topics in kinda confused about. This Monday the start day and i just wanna be sure im as ready as possible.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Looking for some guidance/advice from you guys.

I'm looking to redesign a website concept into a browser app (chrome, mozilla, etc.) that is database driven. Users would be able to scour the database and add/remove links to sites within the database within their user profile.

My development background is based in javascript. Im taking courses on Udemy for Node.Js and then am enrolling in a React & Redux course.

Im wondering what languages and/or programs I should be looking into specifically to get this rolling. Any help from you guys is as always greatly appreciated :salute:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Looking for some guidance/advice from you guys.

I'm looking to redesign a website concept into a browser app (chrome, mozilla, etc.) that is database driven. Users would be able to scour the database and add/remove links to sites within the database within their user profile.

My development background is based in javascript. Im taking courses on Udemy for Node.Js and then am enrolling in a React & Redux course.

Im wondering what languages and/or programs I should be looking into specifically to get this rolling. Any help from you guys is as always greatly appreciated :salute:
You're trying to make a CRUD app. You can use what you're already studying to do it. Just need to know some psql.

FSP

Banned
Daps
Hey everyone.
New to thecoli here (sort of .. not really.. been lurking for a minute). Glad to finally/formally introduce myself.
Ive been in the IT industry for some time. Done it all within software development.. Testing, Dev, PM, Director.

Usually I’ve felt alone being a true hip hop fan in the sphere of my professional life. Honestly, I was somewhat happy and surprised when I found this sub-community. I hope to network with y’all.

One question: I appreciate this thread but there’s a lot of history here. Going back years on a single thread isn’t something I’m up for.
Is there something more (whats the word...?) dedicated to various IT topics on TheColi (or even elsewhere on the web)?

For example, where’s the best place to
chat about how (not a true story:smile: I want to port my Spring/Java project to Rails for simplicity sake.
Maybe I havent searched well enough on here. Admittedly, Im always on my mobile when i visit the site. Ill login via desktop today at work though.
I’d love to have greater discussion about technologies/projects/ideas with you all. Maybe even work related help. As an IT director who manages a tightly knit team of devs and sys admins, Im always up for networking with like minded people with similar interests.
Later!
You should post more often my dude. Sounds like you could offer some valuable advice as well