Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
Have my second interview tomorrow with the hiring manager for an Analytics Engineer position. Heavy SQL, Python, and R based. If I got this job I'd be right at a 6 figure breh, and over 55% salary increase of my current position. My goal was to be making 6 figs by 25 and I might just pull it off. Pray for me brehs. Momma we almost made it:mjcry:.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone got a good ECMAscript course on Udemy that they can point me in the direction of?

Been working with Node right now but Im looking to get ready for whats to come

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Took the steps to mess around with VS Code. Set up Virtualbox on my Linux machine (a hassle all its own), installed LXLE on it, had to jump through a few hoops to install Node and Yarn, but I was able to build and run the source with no real issue. It slipped my mind that development for VS Code is basically all TypeScript. I had my mind kinda set on C++ and/or Java for some reason. The end goal is an extension that turns the editor into a pseudo Java IDE that probably relies on maven for the heavy lifting. Project generation, dependency management, testing, etc.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
For those using Python professionally, what IDEs are y'all using?

I use PyCharm and Jupyter IDEs but I prefer to write out in Notepad ++.

Just curious to know what the professional world is out there using so that I can get familiar with it enough to put on my resume.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Just read about floating point numbers being misrepresented in binary conversions.

So that's why these SAP and costing programs that I use at work always have weird ass sums/products like 15.09999998 when the shyt should be 15.1

:martin:

Do all programming languages have these floating point conversion issues?

Just put in .01 + .02 -.03 in Python and the answer wasn't 0. My mind was blown reading about this.

Last edited:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Just read about floating point numbers being misrepresented in binary conversions.

So that's why these SAP and costing programs that I use at work always have weird ass sums/products like 15.09999998 when the shyt should be 15.1

:martin:

Do all programming languages have these floating point conversion issues?

Just put in .01 + .02 -.03 in Python ind the answer wasn't 0. My mind was blown reading about this.
As far as I'm aware, yes. Did you read up how they're stored or just that they can be misrepresented?