Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Stick with it bro, you'll get in. The key is to just keep on pumping up your portfolio and to apply to as many companies as possible. Also, if you have a job that you need to use a computer, for example, with excel spreadsheets, write little scripts in python/vba to automate your work. That's a way you can get practice and put something on your resume.
Yea, if you know Excel I think VBA can be a good gateway since you don't need your IT dept to install anything and you already know the kind of functionality available to you. Plus you know the functionality and outcomes you would be programming for. I started fukking with VBA this year and it's been very satisfying.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yea, if you know Excel I think VBA can be a good gateway since you don't need your IT dept to install anything and you already know the kind of functionality available to you. Plus you know the functionality and outcomes you would be programming for. I started fukking with VBA this year and it's been very satisfying.
VBA is how I got my start and if you're working with Excel, you can easily save hours, if not days of work automating your workflow. It, along with Javascript are great to dabble around with, because, like you said, no need to install anything.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
VBA is how I got my start and if you're working with Excel, you can easily save hours, if not days of work automating your workflow. It, along with Javascript are great to dabble around with, because, like you said, no need to install anything.
What language did you move into next and what are you doing now? I like working with data and want to get to the next level. I have a base level of comfort with R (i.e. I can load/extract data and run simple models) but I feel like Python would help me do a shyt load more.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Anyone have any good PDFs for Python (preferred), Ruby, Pearl for beginners?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Tinkering around with concurrency in Java. It's one of the few topics I covered back in college that can be applied directly and isn't just background knowledge or theoretical. The "Hello World" of threading seems to be simple timers but you generally only create 1 or 2 threads and stagger their executions - not particularly useful.

After working through some examples I chose to make a stock ticker. Each symbol you enter spawns a new thread. It works but since each one is in an individual thread after you enter a few symbols the output is out of sync. Annoying but a good way to show off what multithreading actually can do. So now I'll have to alter my approach and probably have a thread that controls updating the console and threads that fetch data.

This little project has me making use of a REST API that I didn't create for once. I get to play around with the HttpConnection classes and a little bit of JSON as well. If I remember I'll do a little sanitization and upload a gist of the code that does the heavy lifting.

Marci-Senpai

Prosperity, longevity and a sound mind.
Daps
Reppin
More Life, Truth & Accountability
most of u guys posting in this thread are smart as fukk....i wish i still had the drive to start programming again but after college real life hit me hard as shyt....what i wud give to have some of u guys knowledge man :mjcry:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
most of u guys posting in this thread are smart as fukk....i wish i still had the drive to start programming again but after college real life hit me hard as shyt....what i wud give to have some of u guys knowledge man :mjcry:
oprah.gif

Some of us are just getting by

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
What language did you move into next and what are you doing now? I like working with data and want to get to the next level. I have a base level of comfort with R (i.e. I can load/extract data and run simple models) but I feel like Python would help me do a shyt load more.

I went from vba to javascript and I'm currently using it with Angular for front end development.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

it's not really being super intelligent as much as it is being dedicated and going hard

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
it's not really being super intelligent as much as it is being dedicated and going hard

This. I wish I could find the tweet , but I’ve seen tons of millionaire programmers on Tweeter saying stuff like “ I just spent 6 hrs trying to figure out why something wasn’t work and it was one simple error”. The key is he spent 6hrs looking for that simple bug.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA

u can do it bro just pick what you wanna do with programming (backend, frontend, app dev, etc.) and pick a language and just go for it study that shyt 1-2+ hours a day whether books or udemy classes... and dont try to speed thru books and classes/jump from technology to technology those were my rookie mistakes i made for example you want to learn python just find every resource u can and go in on that shyt dont switch over to the next hot wave... i been coding for around 7 months and still feel like i dont know shyt but you just gotta keep at it...