Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Trustus

Black like the planet that they fear
Supporter
Daps
@kevm3 are you a front-end developer? Damn, they're on Angular 5 already? I picked react over learning angular. I might try to pick it up later. I've just started to look into websockets, but I'm still trying to get good at ES6 and read documentation to learn how things work all the while trying to code on two platforms (windows,linux).

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
@kevm3 are you a front-end developer? Damn, they're on Angular 5 already? I picked react over learning angular. I might try to pick it up later. I've just started to look into websockets, but I'm still trying to get good at ES6 and read documentation to learn how things work all the while trying to code on two platforms (windows,linux).

Yeah, I'm a front-end develper right now, but I'm going to transition into full-stack shortly.

With Angular, they kind of changed the naming scheme, I guess to be more in line with semantic versioning. Angular 5 is pretty much angular 2, but like each major release of it, they bump it up a number.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
or @nonumbmind

Any examples of popular cross platform Enterprise software written in C#?
Nothing I can think of off the top of my head but .NET Core is relatively new. But since most businesses are using Windows I don't expect anything to be developed any time soon. If Microsoft wanted to kick things into gear they'd write a cross platform version of Visual Studio using .NET Core.

I might have asked before but is anyone involved in open source? How do you get into it? How long does it take you to get comfortable working with an unfamiliar codebase?

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, I'm a front-end develper right now, but I'm going to transition into full-stack shortly.

With Angular, they kind of changed the naming scheme, I guess to be more in line with semantic versioning. Angular 5 is pretty much angular 2, but like each major release of it, they bump it up a number.

how big is the company you work at? and how long were you studying for before you got the job?

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
multinational corp

I studied probably for a year on and off and then took a year off of work and studied nonstop

that grind and dedication:salute:

i feel like i'm getting a good grasp on python and things are coming easier to me but thousands of ppl are graduating from universities and now boot camps. makes me unsure of diving into programming and sticking with servers and networking. seems like i'll be behind everyone.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
that grind and dedication:salute:

i feel like i'm getting a good grasp on python and things are coming easier to me but thousands of ppl are graduating from universities and now boot camps. makes me unsure of diving into programming and sticking with servers and networking. seems like i'll be behind everyone.

How much do you really like it? If you really enjoy it, you can definitely get a job and even pass up those who have degrees in computer science. I don't have a degree in computer science and yet I made it. I used to work overnight at a hotel and so i just messed around with javascript while I was there and I heard about these salaries, so about a year or so of doing it, I took a year off of work and studied full time. You can probably get it done a lot quicker than me because I was taking a scattershot approach and doing some Java, Javascript, and Ruby/Ruby on Rails. Me personally, I love programming and it's what I do in my free time when I get home. If you have the same attitude, you can definitely stand out. The key is to keep on stuffing things in your github portfolio and know what area you want to go to and study that super hard. Are you interested in web development or something else?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Also, another key is to not be cheap. A lot of people like to surf the web and try to get 'free' resources, but a lot of times, these may be inferior in teaching quality and you might end up having to search through a ton of stuff just to find something decent. Just go to udemy or packtpub and buy some quality courses. You can get courses for $10 on udemy if you search for a coupon and right now packtpub has a sale on all books and videos for $5. Get 'automate the boring stuff' since it's python and lets you do some interesting stuff.
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python Programming
search for the $10 udemy coupon and cop that and work through that. That should be a nice start. The advantage you would have over computer science graduates is if you start getting experience with relevant technologies and putting it in your portfolio

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
How much do you really like it? If you really enjoy it, you can definitely get a job and even pass up those who have degrees in computer science. I don't have a degree in computer science and yet I made it. I used to work overnight at a hotel and so i just messed around with javascript while I was there and I heard about these salaries, so about a year or so of doing it, I took a year off of work and studied full time. You can probably get it done a lot quicker than me because I was taking a scattershot approach and doing some Java, Javascript, and Ruby/Ruby on Rails. Me personally, I love programming and it's what I do in my free time when I get home. If you have the same attitude, you can definitely stand out. The key is to keep on stuffing things in your github portfolio and know what area you want to go to and study that super hard. Are you interested in web development or something else?

i enjoy it and get a lot of satisfaction writing a code that works how i intended. i really enjoy experimenting and from my experience it seems like you do a lot of trial and errors in programming. plus there's research and that feeling of learning and understanding something feels good to me.

as for what i enjoy doing? as of right now i think software development would be fun or some data scientist. i don't actually know yet and still figuring out what field does what exactly. i work in IT and have been using python to write scripts so that's the extent of my coding skills.

Also, another key is to not be cheap. A lot of people like to surf the web and try to get 'free' resources, but a lot of times, these may be inferior in teaching quality and you might end up having to search through a ton of stuff just to find something decent. Just go to udemy or packtpub and buy some quality courses. You can get courses for $10 on udemy if you search for a coupon and right now packtpub has a sale on all books and videos for $5. Get 'automate the boring stuff' since it's python and lets you do some interesting stuff.
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python Programming
search for the $10 udemy coupon and cop that and work through that. That should be a nice start. The advantage you would have over computer science graduates is if you start getting experience with relevant technologies and putting it in your portfolio

i've been going through codeacademy and python the hard way. i heard about automate the boring stuff but haven't picked it up yet. i plan on doing udemy once i finish codeacademy, which should be soon. i'm in the bay area where students from Stanford, UC Berkeley and other elite schools move to and fight for jobs. i guess since i'm still new and not confident in my skills it's intimidating. i'm gonna keep at it tho. i feel like i need to start building a portfolio tho.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
as for what i enjoy doing? as of right now i think software development would be fun or some data scientist. i don't actually know yet and still figuring out what field does what exactly. i work in IT and have been using python to write scripts so that's the extent of my coding skills.

i've been going through codeacademy and python the hard way. i heard about automate the boring stuff but haven't picked it up yet. i plan on doing udemy once i finish codeacademy, which should be soon. i'm in the bay area where students from Stanford, UC Berkeley and other elite schools move to and fight for jobs. i guess since i'm still new and not confident in my skills it's intimidating. i'm gonna keep at it tho. i feel like i need to start building a portfolio tho.
It seems a lot of places are looking for Python so as long as you're proficient you should be fine. Put quite simply, fukk them kids from Stanford and Berkeley. Other than name recognition from the school they really aren't that much more knowledgeable than you. Any team really looking for a good developer is going to focus on your body of work and not who you paid for your piece of paper. If you see a job you're interested in then apply. You'll get rejection due to more qualified candidates and more qualified candidates :mjplsvibe:, but eventually things will fall into place.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
i enjoy it and get a lot of satisfaction writing a code that works how i intended. i really enjoy experimenting and from my experience it seems like you do a lot of trial and errors in programming. plus there's research and that feeling of learning and understanding something feels good to me.

Stick with it bro, you'll get in. The key is to just keep on pumping up your portfolio and to apply to as many companies as possible. Also, if you have a job that you need to use a computer, for example, with excel spreadsheets, write little scripts in python/vba to automate your work. That's a way you can get practice and put something on your resume.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I'm realizing that these tutorials are kind of holding me back and i need to just build projects on my own i feel like i can understand the syntax but when it comes to knowing what exactly im doing and why im doing it im coming up short

No more getting my hand held
I have found that project focused work is the only way I can learn programming. I took the Python CodeAcademy course and forgot most of it because I never applied it :francis: