Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Anybody have a real solid networking/virtual box/machine tutorial/course?

This course by CBT Nuggets will cover that and some:

VMware vSphere 6.5 (VCP6.5-DCV)
prepares learners to configure and maintain highly available and scalable virtual infrastructures using vSphere v6.5. With the use of hands-on virtual labs, you can practice while you watch as you learn about vCenter Server, high availability, fault tolerance, optimization, security, and much more.

The installation, management, administration, optimization, and scaling of a virtualized data center are pivotal concepts covered within this course that will prepare learners to take the vSphere Foundations and DCV exams.

You can knock the course out during the trial period or find the torrent. If you can't find it let me know. I may have the older course on an external.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Software development but I haven't been placed on a specific team yet. Regardless, I hope that what I work on gives me some direction on what to study when I start looking towards grad school.

Congrats bro, glad it finally paid off.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Congrats bro, glad it finally paid off.
Thanks. Not a 6 figure breh yet but I'm going to put in a few years at that company, take advantage of the resources, then try moving on to Facebook or Google or Microsoft. I figure since I've drawn interest in the past by that time I'll be a shoe in for a decent position. With any luck I'll be able to beef up my C++on real world projects and be able to take a good shot at the gaming industry.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Thanks. Not a 6 figure breh yet but I'm going to put in a few years at that company, take advantage of the resources, then try moving on to Facebook or Google or Microsoft. I figure since I've drawn interest in the past by that time I'll be a shoe in for a decent position. With any luck I'll be able to beef up my C++on real world projects and be able to take a good shot at the gaming industry.

Honestly bro, I think it's best to just work for a company doing crud type apps and then work on your own indie game project on the side, whether you use Unity or another engine. I heard the game industry underpays and the work hours can be brutal. I'm not at six figures yet either, but I know in due time it'll come.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Honestly bro, I think it's best to just work for a company doing crud type apps and then work on your own indie game project on the side, whether you use Unity or another engine. I heard the game industry underpays and the work hours can be brutal. I'm not at six figures yet either, but I know in due time it'll come.
Yeah I've read some of the horror stories. I have some friends I've worked on side projects with in the past and I also have a friend from high school that has some good stuff in the pipeline as well. I'll need a new laptop before I jump back into it though, the one I have now acts up when I boot into Windows so I've been forced to use Linux.

Daps
Sup brehs, if anyone is good with coding in C can you help me unfukk my code.
I'm trying to do something where if a number between 0 and 20 is input it adds one ball until it hits twenty.
However, if anything that isn't between 0 and 20 or a letter is input then it displays "Not an appropriate input."
I've spent all day on this and still can't figure it out. :to:
{
int ball = 0;

//Prompt for number of Balls
printf("How many balls do you have?");
scanf("%d", &ball);

//loop for balls until 20 is reached.
for( ball = 0; ball <= 20; ball++ )
printf( "Have another one. You now have %d balls \n", ball );
ball++; /* Update ball so the condition can be met eventually */
if(ball < 0 || ball > 20);
else printf( "Not an appropriate input. \n", ball );
}

}

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Sup brehs, if anyone is good with coding in C can you help me unfukk my code.
I'm trying to do something where if a number between 0 and 20 is input it adds one ball until it hits twenty.
However, if anything that isn't between 0 and 20 or a letter is input then it displays "Not an appropriate input."
I've spent all day on this and still can't figure it out. :to:
{
int ball = 0;

//Prompt for number of Balls
printf("How many balls do you have?");
scanf("%d", &ball);

//loop for balls until 20 is reached.
for( ball = 0; ball <= 20; ball++ )
printf( "Have another one. You now have %d balls \n", ball );
ball++; /* Update ball so the condition can be met eventually */
if(ball < 0 || ball > 20);
else printf( "Not an appropriate input. \n", ball );
}

}
Your if statement that checks if it's within range needs to be moved above your for loop. In your for loop you're setting ball to zero when I don't think you mean to. You can write that as: for( ; ball <20 ; ball++)
If you do it this way you can remove the later line where you increment ball. Or you could do: for( ; ball < 20; ) and leave your increment statement in later but visually this could confuse people who look at your code because of how we generally write for loops.

Make those changes and update us, then I'll show you another way you can do this that uses another feature of the language.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

ImGucci

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NY
It’s hard making 6 figures in this market. I work in nyc.
I have been making 85 for a couple years, trying to get to 6 figures the past couple months.

It’s really tough cause there aren’t many 6 figure full time jobs in America, they outsource a lot of work overseas for cheaper labor.

And the 6 figure gigs you do find are usually only on contract. I’m hoping the Tax Reform changes this but outsourcing is a huge issue.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I feel like I got programmer ADHD. I can't stick with any one thing for long. I've been jumping between Golang, Javascript/Typescript, C# and Java. Thankfully they have a ton of similarities.