Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
It’s hard making 6 figures in this market. I work in nyc.
I have been making 85 for a couple years, trying to get to 6 figures the past couple months.

It’s really tough cause there aren’t many 6 figure full time jobs in America, they outsource a lot of work overseas for cheaper labor.

And the 6 figure gigs you do find are usually only on contract. I’m hoping the Tax Reform changes this but outsourcing is a huge issue.

It's a big issue in Europe too. Even bigger I think because we have a lot of poorer 'highly educated' people right on our doorstep in Eastern Europe.

My brother is working on Wall Street doing Java, Spring, Camel, etc at a major financial (with Murex). He is new to Murex but is very good at the other stuff. He is making significantly more than 100K. He had tons of interest when he last moved a few months ago.

He was doing this sort of stuff at his previous gig. Calypso, Spring 4.0 MVC, Security, LDAP, AOP, JPA, Hibernate, Java, Apache Camel (Integration)
ActiveMQ, Drools, JavaScript - Backbone, Marionette, Handlebars, SVN, GIT

I am a c++ guy(mainly) and c++ is dying a slow death.

You can get good rates if you know one of the big vendor apps well (Calypso, Murex or Summit - although Summit is dying too) and IMO Java is the way forward.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
anyone use codeacademy? i've been on this for about a month using Python and it's been helpful. helps with the basics for sure and a good supplement to other materials.

anyone got any sites similar to this? that's free

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
anyone use codeacademy? i've been on this for about a month using Python and it's been helpful. helps with the basics for sure and a good supplement to other materials.

anyone got any sites similar to this? that's free
Code Fights can help you with interview preparation. They have a multitude of languages you can use to solve problems.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
Been focusing on the backend learning PHP/Laravel and Mysql

Laravel is blowing my mind....hoping by about February i feel comfortable enough to apply and go on interviews

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Learning more and more VBA for Excel/Access macros for business analytics

Between that and some SQL I'm becoming pretty useful.... just got into a department and have automated a shyt ton of their processes. Prob cut out 8-12 hours of manual steps alone. Having fun too

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
It’s hard making 6 figures in this market. I work in nyc.
I have been making 85 for a couple years, trying to get to 6 figures the past couple months.

It’s really tough cause there aren’t many 6 figure full time jobs in America, they outsource a lot of work overseas for cheaper labor.

And the 6 figure gigs you do find are usually only on contract. I’m hoping the Tax Reform changes this but outsourcing is a huge issue.
have you been at the same job for a while? i read that for us software developers , its better if we change jobs every 2-3 years to increase the salary.
Plus you dont get stagnant by working on the same tech for years.

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel like I got programmer ADHD. I can't stick with any one thing for long. I've been jumping between Golang, Javascript/Typescript, C# and Java. Thankfully they have a ton of similarities.

What resources have you been using for Golang?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
What resources have you been using for Golang?
Golang, there are a couple of courses on udemy.

I like Tony Araujo's series of books as well:
amazon.com/Exercises-Plain-Language-Variables-Supplemental-ebook/dp/B01EYZVJCY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513045753&sr=8-2&keywords=tony+araujo+golang

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend Golang until after you've become competent with some other back end language because the programming tutorials aren't that numerous. Ruby on rails has the best ecosystem for learning the backend and then node. If you're already competent in the backend, then this is a nice language tutorial:
https://www.udemy.com/go-the-complete-developers-guide/learn/v4/overview

I haven't really gotten deep into the material where you actually create servers because I'm still trying to get accustomed to the syntax of Golang, but I'm starting to get it down.

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
right. programming is an industry where you never stop learning. new stuff is always coming down the pipeline

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
I thinking HARD about getting in Georgia Tech's online Computer Science Masters program (OMSCS) to get a second Masters. It's only around $7k for the whole program :damn: but it's also a 3 year commitment :francis: