Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I do tech support for Filemaker. It's mostly assisting with installation and connecting Databases to the server. I have a copy of the filemake software. Is it worth learning and is there a job market for filemaker developer?
I never heard of film maker, so I googled and it seems to be alternative to mysql or orcale. Have you ever thought of learning SQL?

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
That's what really sucks about the programming market right now. They want several years of experience, but put it down as an 'entry level' position. How can it be entry level? .

:russ:

I got an email from a recruiter the other day, where the guy was looking for someone with 10 years experience.....for a junior position
:snoop:

Maybe close to 10 that were just to land the phone interview? I can't recall. If graduated back in June, basically applied to 7-15 positions during the work week up until just about now. For about a month in total I didn't do any serious applying. I've only landed 6 or 7 phone interviews and made it to the final round 3 times.

If I'm being completely honest I don't put enough focus on the technical side so I know I'm screwing the pooch there. I honestly would think that if these people were doing their due diligence they'd look at my github and see that I'm not out here playing games when I have the opportunity to really get into a project. But sometimes it seems like they want someone who can write a traversal algorithm that runs in constant time (or some other unreasonable task) in half an hour. In the end that's on me though.

Keep your head up and keep trying. Took me 4 months to find my first "IT job" and about 2 years of work experience after that to get a real developer job in the traditional sense. I had a 2.8 GPA in college though, if I had a 3.5 or higher like most of my classmates it would have been easier.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
:russ:

I got an email from a recruiter the other day, where the guy was looking for someone with 10 years experience.....for a junior position
:snoop:

Keep your head up and keep trying. Took me 4 months to find my first "IT job" and about 2 years of work experience after that to get a real developer job in the traditional sense. I had a 2.8 GPA in college though, if I had a 3.5 or higher like most of my classmates it would have been easier.
My GPA was a tad lower than that and I know it hurt my prospects. But that's life. I have a good feeling about one company right now though. I'm hoping to wake up to an offer on Monday and never look back.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
The javascript ecosystem is fantastic. Use typescript and get a language closer to C#/Java, plus the ability to make cross platform desktop apps with electron and mobile apps with nativescript, ionic or cordova. Use Node js for the backend. You can even do things such as robotics.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
The javascript ecosystem is fantastic. Use typescript and get a language closer to C#/Java, plus the ability to make cross platform desktop apps with electron and mobile apps with nativescript, ionic or cordova. Use Node js for the backend. You can even do things such as robotics.
I like TypeScript, I just wish it had more OOP features like you might see in C# or Java. But I know that's because it has to transpile to JavaScript.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I like TypeScript, I just wish it had more OOP features like you might see in C# or Java. But I know that's because it has to transpile to JavaScript.
Which features would you like to see? I don't even think I'd want to touch a large, pure javascript codebase. Knowing what the types of the parameters are makes things way easier to reason about.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Which features would you like to see? I don't even think I'd want to touch a large, pure javascript codebase. Knowing what the types of the parameters are makes things way easier to reason about.
I can't recall off hand, I haven't touched my Angular project in a while. I think static classes was something I wanted to use but couldn't. A more logical way of overriding functions wouldn't hurt either.

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
won a scholarship for a bootcamp and got a job contract for when I finish. God is so good. They rejected me for the scholarship at first and then reversed their decision. :wow:

All my people in this and feel like giving up, just keep grinding it out, keep your eyes open, keep the faith and keep praying.

Thanks @Data-Hawk for the C# book recommendation back in 2016, that was the beginning of it all & thanks @kevm3 for helpin this thread too.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
won a scholarship for a bootcamp and got a job contract for when I finish. God is so good. They rejected me for the scholarship at first and then reversed their decision. :wow:

All my people in this and feel like giving up, just keep grinding it out, keep your eyes open, keep the faith and keep praying.

Thanks @Data-Hawk for the C# book recommendation back in 2016, that was the beginning of it all & thanks @kevm3 for helpin this thread too.

congrats bro. God definitely delivers. never stop learning.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Software development but I haven't been placed on a specific team yet. Regardless, I hope that what I work on gives me some direction on what to study when I start looking towards grad school.
That's excellent, man! I'm excited for you. I haven't enjoyed my dev role at the Fortune 500 that wooed me, but I know that my experiences definitely do not represent IT as a whole. Soak up as much as you can and maximize the opportunity. Happy to see that you already have a next step in mind. Black excellence, man. The takeover!! :blessed:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
I will say this for all the brehs on the market for a job in IT..

GO TO MEETUPS.

If education and knowledge of your given discipline is important in landing a job, I'd argue that having a solid network is just as valuable if not more valuable than having the knowledge.

Before these companies post their openings on Indeed or ZipRecruiter, they will ask people who already work at these places if they know anyone who's looking for a job. If you've been out to the meetups and have built relationships with people who work at these companies, that could very well skip you right to the front of the line.