Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
what were your resources to learn php... im doing udemy courses plus a text based tutorial helping me make a blog site but i feel like i need to be doing more

I Already had a solid understanding of programming, so I just looked at syntax on places Stackoverflow for things I wanted to do.

nonumbmind

Rookie
Daps
It's a big issue in Europe too. Even bigger I think because we have a lot of poorer 'highly educated' people right on our doorstep in Eastern Europe.

My brother is working on Wall Street doing Java, Spring, Camel, etc at a major financial (with Murex). He is new to Murex but is very good at the other stuff. He is making significantly more than 100K. He had tons of interest when he last moved a few months ago.

He was doing this sort of stuff at his previous gig. Calypso, Spring 4.0 MVC, Security, LDAP, AOP, JPA, Hibernate, Java, Apache Camel (Integration)
ActiveMQ, Drools, JavaScript - Backbone, Marionette, Handlebars, SVN, GIT

I am a c++ guy(mainly) and c++ is dying a slow death.

You can get good rates if you know one of the big vendor apps well (Calypso, Murex or Summit - although Summit is dying too) and IMO Java is the way forward.
Honestly I think Python and C# is going to continue to grow meanwhile java will stagnate/lose marketshare

nonumbmind

Rookie
Daps
Java == Enterprise software. C# is limiting and Python doesn't cut it.

C# limiting in what ways? From what I understand, with .NET Core you can develop cross platform applications for all of the main OSes.
Exactly, you can use C# for anything Java can plus more. C# is definitely not limiting and C# is used a lot in Enterprise too.

I don't know why Python is growing but it's starting to get popular even though the syntax is horrible

Last edited:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Exactly, you can use C# for anything Java can plus more. C# is definitely not limiting and C# is used a lot in Enterprise too.

I don't know why Python is growing but it's starting to get popular even though the syntax is horrible
I dislike the syntax too but apparently it's easy to pick up. I think pen testers use it a lot and some of the hard sciences. Personally it's hard for me to pick up a language if I don't like the syntax.

If I landed a role at MS I think I'd like to work on the .NET platform.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
yea python is getting pretty popular and I keep hearing people rave about it, but when I tried it, I didn't care for it that much.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
I'm realizing that these tutorials are kind of holding me back and i need to just build projects on my own i feel like i can understand the syntax but when it comes to knowing what exactly im doing and why im doing it im coming up short

No more getting my hand held

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
go to packtpub.com. they have a sale on books and videos. Everything is $5

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm realizing that these tutorials are kind of holding me back and i need to just build projects on my own i feel like i can understand the syntax but when it comes to knowing what exactly im doing and why im doing it im coming up short

No more getting my hand held

Yea, it's good to start out with tutorials, but then you actually have to start building things yourself because when you don't have the guide telling you step by step what to do, you will get lost initially.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
Yea, it's good to start out with tutorials, but then you actually have to start building things yourself because when you don't have the guide telling you step by step what to do, you will get lost initially.

you right i think the tutorials teach you syntax and what goes into building a project but you dont really learn how to build a project

think i might just use them as a reference for different features on my own projects bout to see how this goes for me hoping to have about 6 projects on my portfolio by feb or march

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
you right i think the tutorials teach you syntax and what goes into building a project but you dont really learn how to build a project

think i might just use them as a reference for different features on my own projects bout to see how this goes for me hoping to have about 6 projects on my portfolio by feb or march

I find courses and tutorials are good for giving you an understanding of the syntax like you said and for finding out new features and functions you never knew about in the framework you are using. They are also great for getting inspiration for taking new approaches, but at the end of the day you will have to go through the struggle developing something on your own from scratch.

The approach to take from that is to create something simple and then make apps that are progressively more complex. Maybe start off with a todo list and then work on up to a full-fledged site.

ABlackMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Hood America
How should I go about freelance web design? Just present my custom websites to companies? Like if I see a company has a shyt site should I redesign it and then present it to em or what?