Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Double J

Banned
Daps
Crazy how powerful an IDE like IntelliJ is. The code completion, automatic imports of libraries, and suggestions are :wow: I'm especially impressed coming from JGrasp which is about as bare bones an IDE as you can get. Although I would suggest beginners use a bare bones IDE such as JGrasp when first starting out.

Dig

Catch Up
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Post up the code of what you are trying to do.
I figured it out, but I'm taking a short split term so I'll be posted in this thread on the regular. I've got experience with C++ and Java but now im in Python. I like python so far tho. A lot more clean and easy to work with compared to java. Preciate u looking out

FSP

Banned
Daps
Programming is basically writing step by step instructions. As long as you can think sequentially you'll be fine. Pay attention, start assignments early and don't wait until a day or two before they're due and you'll be fine.
I actually find that explanation made programming more confusing for me, especially in object oriented programming where code is often not in order. Nothing to contribute to what you said it’s just something I noticed that may be true with other people

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I actually find that explanation made programming more confusing for me, especially in object oriented programming where code is often not in order. Nothing to contribute to what you said it’s just something I noticed that may be true with other people
Interesting. I think it holds up for OOP if you don't think about the body of functions you call when writing code. As long as you understand that one line follows another it shouldn't get too confusing. That said, I had trouble with for loops when starting out. I think that's why following the single entry, single exit pattern when writing most functions can help with readability and understanding.

Something I haven't gotten comfortable with yet are lambda functions; when, where, or why to use them.

Lex218

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I do tech support for Filemaker. It's mostly assisting with installation and connecting Databases to the server. I have a copy of the filemake software. Is it worth learning and is there a job market for filemaker developer?

Majestic

Believe in myself and the Coles and Kendricks
Daps
Brehs. What's the best sites to learn how to code? Java, JavaScript, python, c#, hmts etc

Double J

Banned
Daps
Almost finished making my most complete and complex project yet. It's a media player complete with audio playback, video playback, creation of playlists, editing/saving/loading data etc. Some of the things that you would think would be really easy such as displaying the current time of the media can be a lot more complicated then you would think.

Takes a while to make it to this point but once you do it's :wow:

BTW JavaFX is a GREAT GUI framework.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
This Angular side project has been kicking my ass. Almost every time I get headed down a path I have to redesign some shyt because it doesn't want to play nicely with the storage. Add to that I'm still coming to terms with TypeScript and JavaScript features. But this should be my most presentable project to date if I can get the layout together in the end. I know how I can monetize it, I just don't know how to implement it just yet within the whole project. But some of the infrastructure is set up for that move.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Do a coding challenge and get rejected a few hours later :guccard:. Like damn did y'all even look at my answer? At any rate let's see if this offer comes through in the next week for another position. We just might have this one brehs
full

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do a coding challenge and get rejected a few hours later :guccard:. Like damn did y'all even look at my answer? At any rate let's see if this offer comes through in the next week for another position. We just might have this one brehs
full
damn how many interview and code challenges have you done now? and how long was it you graduated again

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
damn how many interview and code challenges have you done now? and how long was it you graduated again
Maybe close to 10 that were just to land the phone interview? I can't recall. If graduated back in June, basically applied to 7-15 positions during the work week up until just about now. For about a month in total I didn't do any serious applying. I've only landed 6 or 7 phone interviews and made it to the final round 3 times.

If I'm being completely honest I don't put enough focus on the technical side so I know I'm screwing the pooch there. I honestly would think that if these people were doing their due diligence they'd look at my github and see that I'm not out here playing games when I have the opportunity to really get into a project. But sometimes it seems like they want someone who can write a traversal algorithm that runs in constant time (or some other unreasonable task) in half an hour. In the end that's on me though.

ImGucci

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NY
these job requirements are crazy as hell. been studying Object Oriented Programming (C# mainly) and learning to create things on my own for the last 4 years or so and just recently got into .NET/Web development the past year. want to find something entry level and all these listings I see are asking for 2-3 years developing or more if you didn't major in CS like me (Business Major). Then they have the nerve to list all types of clearances, TS, SCI, AND want a polygraph for a junior level position. it's hell even getting to sit down with a company :francis:.

It’s always been like that, but most of the job requirements are fluff.

They judge you mostly on your portfolio and the tech interview.

Nothing else matters in the web engineering world. A CS degree will just let them know you started with programming and this isn’t your second career choice.

I was a CS major but I didn’t go to a big college, I only got through the door cause my first portfolio at the time was overkill. I had a lot of projects showing versatility.

My old tech director at my job at high level advertising firm was a media communications major in college. But he was the best coder I’ve ever seen. He went to NYU though, so maybe that’s how he got in the door.