Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Making a little BlackJack game in Python.

Will build a Poker game next...which is quite a bit more involved.

Really trying to get through both of these without seeking any online help first.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Working on a platformer in the unreal engine.

Modeled a shytty house in blender:
BnlBjSK.jpg

That same house in ue4 w/ some light cel shading that I'm experimenting with. Trying to get that BOTW look

NkOvn8c.jpg

Looks great.

Can you import models from other CAD systems (specifically SolidWorks)?

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What are you learning?
Web development.

The second week just ended and now I have a project and a bunch of assignments, due Monday.

We learned some JavaScript in the first week and covered HTML/CSS this week.

The project is all HTML/CSS based. I'm having a hard time with the assignment because I'm not an artist. And there's other assignments that need to get done, so I can only spend so much time missing with it.

Daps
i respect yall programmers man i got a programming bachelors degree but i havent programmed anything in years...kinda forgot everything i knew shyt seems super hard for me to get back onboard with it :ld: i suck brehs :mjcry:

What do you do now breh?

I assume project manager or something since you dont code anymore.

Marci-Senpai

Prosperity, longevity and a sound mind.
Daps
Reppin
More Life, Truth & Accountability
What do you do now breh?

I assume project manager or something since you dont code anymore.

I live in the bahamas and work for a government organization in their computer room...doing IT shyt basically...making 1700 a month :ld: but i really had a love for programming man i need to get back into it...i also wanna move to the states or canada cus programming jobs arent very lucrative over here

Daps
I live in the bahamas and work for a government organization in their computer room...doing IT shyt basically...making 1700 a month :ld: but i really had a love for programming man i need to get back into it...i also wanna move to the states or canada cus programming jobs arent very lucrative over here

The bahamas part sounds amazing. the 1700 part not so much.

Most CS graduates over here usually can make about 60-70k a year with little experience.

If you really love it then yeah I say move on over. But its gotta be amazing to live in the bahamas still.

Marci-Senpai

Prosperity, longevity and a sound mind.
Daps
Reppin
More Life, Truth & Accountability
The bahamas part sounds amazing. the 1700 part not so much.

Most CS graduates over here usually can make about 60-70k a year with little experience.

If you really love it then yeah I say move on over. But its gotta be amazing to live in the bahamas still.
Yea i was born and raised in the bahamas its a cool place but when u bee somewhere for such a long period of time the magic gets sucked away...its still home nonetheless but i gatta move with the money

Daps
Reppin
NULL
FINALLY got my password reset!! A year ago I solicited recommendations on stepping into the IT field. My interest was strongly in doing security, as I eventually wanted to do some penetration testing and other things in the security domain. But I was convinced of joining a coding bootcamp, which was meh. The info was good, but there were so many politics at play that it made me resent the industry before even landing my first position.

Fast forward, I now work as a developer for a Fortune 500 firm... And I could NOT be any more miserable. Pay is decent. Opportunities to advance are realistic. But the environment is so BOOOORING! Most of the day is spent killing time. There was no on-boarding or training. It's crazy, yo. I've wanted to resign everyday for the past couple of months. Is this a normal experience???

I really want to get back into education admin and become a principal. Shoot, I don't even know where to begin with regards to IT Security b/c I'm afraid of having the same thing happen again. To any new devs or devs who got into programming as a new career, what was the transition like for you??